Sharpening Picks on a Carpet.. wish i knew about this before!!

monto

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

he did it with his guitar as well!! Seriously i'm a carpet layer and i never knew about this, i can't imagine it would work on all carpets. Dudes in the 70's would have lost all their picks in the shag.

• Members

it works with my carpet in my bedroom, i would think it is more to do with friction/heat, rather than type of carpet, so it should work on pretty much any carpet i would have thought

ps. i just tried playing ac/dc thunderstruck with a blunt vs. sharp pick.. the difference is phenomenal! lol (it's so much easier with a sharp pick.. the pick doesn't get 'stuck/hung up' on the strings as much....)

• Members

Interesting, but I never understood the appeal of a pointed pick. Rounded picks let you exercise some dynamics depending on how you pick, and thin, pointed picks just seem to 'shout' all the time. Meh, not for me.

Eh, depends on how sharp you get it really. I used to sharpen my picks to a point and it's good for speeding through stuff but ends up making your attack sound too sharp. The trick is to get it worn down enough so that it's not hugely rounded off, but not filed to a point. Just slightly sharper than the shape of a brand new pick seems to be about perfect most of the time.

Also like when the sides of the pick get kind of flatted out from playing with it for awhile, mainly on green tortex's. The material seems to give more bite and dig due to the flatter, more exposed surface area. It's for this reason that I cannot stand using a brand new pick.

• Members

I think I'm just so poor of a player that exact shape and dimension of the end of my pick doesn't really make that much of a difference to me. :idk:

Having said that, if I needed to sharpen a pick, I think sand paper would be my first choice. :lol:

• Members

......if I needed to sharpen a pick, I think sand paper would be my first choice.....

the advantage of the carpet method is it is much, much quicker. and it's definately easier too.

• Members

Interesting, but I never understood the appeal of a pointed pick. Rounded picks let you exercise some dynamics depending on how you pick, and thin, pointed picks just seem to 'shout' all the time. Meh, not for me.

I like my vintage rounded picks. Sometimes I even use the other "end" of the pick. Can get a sort of bowed sound - like the start of Jimmy Jazz by The Clash.

• Members

I think I'm just so poor of a player that exact shape and dimension of the end of my pick doesn't really make that much of a difference to me.
:idk:

Having said that, if I needed to sharpen a pick, I think sand paper would be my first choice.
:lol:

Mine too. I play fingerstyle, and there's a huge difference when I've filed my nails and used sandpaper to get them really smooth. I imagine the same would hold true for a guitar pick.

Archived