David Gilmour is a beast on the Saxophone!?!

g400man

• Members

when the Queen dies they should make him the new King of old blighty, he defines 'smooth english gentleman' perfectly. i bet he's got an old Aston Martin he tours around with as well, a young lady by his side.

• Members

He is amazing, particularly given how long he has played it. I found it interesting that you can hear his signature guitar sound through the sax.

Yes that's what he's doing. Copying horn parts is a great way to lean cool lick.

• Members

Interesting how his expressions of notes on sax is the same as his guitar playing. Very cool.

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. It's amazing that he is only been playing for a short while. His tone, phrasing and vibrato are excellent. I have often wanted to learn to play sax but always thought it was such a difficult instrument to play. Gilmour gives me hope. :D

The problem is that we already have a sax player in my family...:lol:

This is my nephew Kenji Omae (his dad is Japanese Canadian) on tenor sax live on Korean TV. If you wanna skip the weird guitar solo his solo starts at about 4:35 into the video.

[video=youtube;E-fUjM1qo6E]

• Members

I remember he started taking lessons a year or two ago because his son started them.

So he basically just started playing!

Two other guys most people don't realize are badass sax players are David Bowie and Van Morrison.

That can't be true though, because he is also playing very proficiently on my 2006 dvd of his On An Island tour. Just a very good musician who can turn his hand to many instruments.

• Members

here's the bottom line ... DG ... wrote the songs .. .he knows EXACTLY where the notes are ...and he can express them on ANY instrument ... except maybe a sitar (but I would not be surprised if he could)

I doubt he could play Coltrane for true JC believers ... but he can blow the {censored} out of his own compositions ...

gotta love the DG

Archived