Looking for info on Made in USA Squier

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So I probably paid too much for it, but I traded my Peavey T-15 for this Made in USA Squire. I believe the PUP's are ceramic - but sound pretty good to me. In the ball park of the Hwy 1 I have. It has a thinner neck - thinner than my Hwy 1. Year of build was 1989. My M&P shop told me the tuners are pings - and good ones. Can anyone else give me details on these MIA Strats? Body material?

Pics...

USASQUIER_1.JPG

USASQUIER_2.JPG

USASQUIER_3.JPG

• Members

The story goes that these were made after a fire at the Fender Mexican plant sometime around '93 or so, but whether that's true is unclear. Fender serial numbers aren't totally reliable for dating instruments, so they may not indicate the actual date of production. They seem to have been made of whatever parts were handy, as the two I've encountered had necks with different finishes.

• Members

Tim - I can tell you I played a MIM Squier (don't know what year) the day before I bought the MIA, and the MIM Squier had a very different neck - it had a baseball bat neck. The neck on the MIA is much thinner - like I say, thinner than the Hwy 1 Strat I have. This might be a plywood body but I can't tell for sure. I opened the Trem cover - it is painted on the inside. It looks solid - but I think I can just barely see layers in the body - but I'm not sure. The layers are painted over and very, very faint if the are there at all. I can also say it has the swimming pool route for electronics.

• Members

The first MIM strats hit in '93 so you're more likely looking at a date later than that. If you search online there's info out there on them. I've seen some with true routes and some with a swimming pool route. You'd have to look under the hood to see what's up. There were variations on these.

Archived