Need Easy Song for Two Guitars

KGrob

• Members

My sons are 13 years old and 11 years old and both own and play electric guitars. (We have five electric guitars and five amps in our house and we're getting ready to add to that.) Anyway, they play quite a bit individually, they are probably "intermediate" type players. They both play open chords and my older son plays barre chords pretty well too. They both keep a beat decently.

But now, they want to play together, make a video, put it on the Internet, get famous, all that. They have big dreams. :)

What I need, is a song that they can play. It would need to have a fairly simple lead and a rhythm that isn't too hard. And though they can both keep a beat, it should have a simple rhythmic beat to follow since young people tend to struggle here (they'll play a drum backing track in the background).

It needs to be a catchy toon but it needn't be modern.

I was actually thinking about one of the old Credence Clearwater tunes like Bad Moon Rising or Who Will Stop the Rain or something like that. Easy songs. Simple beats. Catchy tunes.

Anyone out there have any ideas for a good song?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

• Members

A little more background on the guitarists.

They can both strum and arpeggiate decently and they can bend some strings...not great at any of that, but they can both do it decently...maybe even good. They play songs now like When the Saints go Marching On. Scarborough Fair. House of the Rising Sun. Stuff like that. They can both play the intro to Stairway to Heaven. And so on.

• Members

Have one play the rhythm and the other the melody, and you can basically pick any song they both like. It's just a matter of learning the voice line on guitar. That approach usually sounds good, especially on acoustics.

• Members

Have one play the rhythm and the other the melody, and you can basically pick any song they both like. It's just a matter of learning the voice line on guitar. That approach usually sounds good, especially on acoustics.

Good point. Thanks. Ya, our early plan is to have one kid play the notes and spice it up with some bends/vibrato, etc. The other will play the chords. We have a Yamaha keyboard that plays hundreds of types of backing tracks (think drums) and we'll probably have that going in the background.

We're trying to narrow it down to a good catchy song with a simple beat.

• Members

Aww acoustic? I was going to suggest Painkiller by Judas Priest...if an 11/13 year old combo could play THAT, they'd instantly be famous and you'd be one rich daddy :D

Maybe have them learn Dust In The Wind, that'd always an awesome song!

• Members

you can go to songsterr.com, and they have songs listed by category (such as "acoustic" and "easy", intermediate, etc), and they even have tablature for all instruments in the song.

Archived