Want to start your own guitar company?

DavidMgT

• Members

Reminds me of all of those ebay shop nasties. Gotta pass
:p

If you browse the site you will actually find some outright knockoffs. I saw a tele with "Fender USA" on the headstock and a USA Strat whose origin is the Chinese Mainland. You will also find some pickups that look oddly familiar :)

• Members

If you look you will actually find some outright knockoffs. I saw a tele with "Fender USA" on the headstock.

They still have "Gibsuns" as well, one with a fake Bigsby as an added bonus. Their anti-counterfeit policy (AliProtect) doesn't seem to work very well :lol:

• Members

That's true, they don't give a damn. What annoys me though is that they pretend they do.

Do they still send samples? Not sure I would look for a manufacturer on Alibaba, I would probably go there and check some of them out.

You can also find them at music fairs.

• Members

I don't think anyone really cares over there. I was going to have some unique designs created, but the funds were just not available at the time to take the project forward.

I could really see how it can be very cool especially if you have people willing to make your designs. I imagine that there are numerous guitar companies that do just that. All of the knockoffs available there, however, make me never want to buy a guitar - especially a Fender!- on ebay.

• Members

someone on the agile forum did this. bought i think a dozen LP stylle moddels with his own logo etc. i think he eventually sold most of them, but it takes more than a handful of low cost knock off guitars to really start a company. if youve got a good plan though, it probably not a bad place to start.

• Members

If you want to do it successfully you just have to market your name and create desire for YOUR product. Since they are all pretty much the same you have to create a cult mentality where people will feel unique or part of a group by owning it.

It's quite funny when people debate about the quality differences between three of four different types Les Pauls with different stickers on the headstocks that probably all came from the same factory.

• Members

If you want to do it successfully you just have to market your name and create desire for YOUR product. Since they are all pretty much the same you have to create a cult mentality where people will feel unique or part of a group by owning it.

It's quite funny when people debate about the quality differences between three of four different types Les Pauls with different stickers on the headstocks that probably all came from the same factory.

Yeah, with such companies it is all about marketing as they likely come from the same 3-4 factories.

• Members

I could really see how it can be very cool especially if you have people willing to make your designs. I imagine that there are numerous guitar companies that do just that. All of the knockoffs available there, however, make me never want to buy a guitar - especially a Fender!- on ebay.

Hey if you really want a custom made guitar then you might wanna have a look at this guy: http://www.twentytwelveguitars.com/gallery.htm

I was "this close" to getting one from him a few years ago but this was just before the GFC so I decided against it. He was also living locally back then but soon after moved to Melbourne :(

• Members

Like THIS!

apple-itunes-event.jpg

Archived