Don't buy GFS Surf 90 pickups!

schoolie1

• Members

OP speaks truth.

IMG_5614.jpg

bestjuly.jpg

This song was recorded using both of these guitars. The Tele (w/ flatwounds) is most prominent during the first half, and the white offset thing (w/ roundwounds) during the last half.

Warning: surf content.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/4774829?play_now=true

Sweet man! It dont get more surfy than that :thu:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OP speaks truth.

IMG_5614.jpg

bestjuly.jpg

This song was recorded using both of these guitars. The Tele (w/ flatwounds) is most prominent during the first half, and the white offset thing (w/ roundwounds) during the last half.

Warning: surf content.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/4774829?play_now=true

First - sweet guitars!

And second - I'll lsten to the clips after work.:thu: Thanks for posting!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Bump to ask how they sound in that sweet, sweet artcore?

:love:

Personally, I don't see how they could be much surfier than a Standard single coil Strat.

That said, I do have a pair I am putting in this:

1003077x.jpg

I was just replacing the standard humbuckers with some Artec Giovanni "Gretsch-buckers" when the Surf '90's hit the radar. Thank god I didn't have the install finished. I decided to do them the hard way this time too! Should be a hollowbody twang-fest when done.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I wanted the black one but I didn't feel like waiting, so I bit the bullet on the white bodied one....I'm happy I didn't wait.

I put one in the neck position of my 72 tele thinline reissue (500meg pot and dimarzio 36th anniversary in the bridge, custom pickguard.) It delivered exactly what I expected..and for that price you just can't lose. This guitar is so versatile now just with these 2 tones...I"m interested to hear what the middle position sounds like once I rewire it in phase (sounds like complete {censored} now, but that's because I didn't read the instructions thoroughly). I previously had a retrotron in this guitar and it was okay, but didn't provide near the sparkle that the surf90 does..and forget the stock humbucker..mud city. I wanted to get something close to what my Blacktop Jazzmaster delivers with it's pickup combinations...rock goodness in the bridge, jangle loveliness in the neck, and wide range loveliness in the middle. So far, it's surpassed it on the first 2 tones.

Just looking at the construction of the Dimarzio and the Surf90, you'd never know the Dimarzio costs almost twice as much...likewise with tone.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I think these sound great clean...can anyone comment on how they sound with heavy fuzz?

I play a lot of Muff/glitchy FF tones, and cant seem to find any clips or comments regarding how they work with the fuzz. :idk:

Archived