How My Gear Has Changed in the Last Year...

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I did this kind of post about a year ago. It was a fun thread. I thought I would start it up again. So here is what has changed in the last year for me:

STRATS ARE USEFUL: A year ago I had no Strats - now I have 3. A Hwy 1, a MIM Standard, and a Made in USA Squier (yes they actually exist.) I would not say I have forgotten about LP's. I have 3 of those too.

SS to Tube to SS: I went from Solid State to all tube. I had a Handsome Devil - that I later sold. Then bought a CRATE Vintage Club 30, that I still have. I also bought a Tech21 Trademark 30 and play that quite a bit. Easy to grab and throw in my car. I also got a Traynor SS that is very, very good.

Modelers to Pedals: Although I hardly use it I still have my Digitech RP350. I am using more single pedals - Rogue Analog Delay, and a Ibanez TS808 clone.

How about you guys?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got a PRS SE within the last year, and it became my main gig guitar. I really like it a lot. I've been using a Vox AC15 or AC30 and my same pedalboard for quite a few years now, and I don't see that setup changing anytime soon. I'm the type of player that leaves the amp/pedals the same and just switches guitars around.

• Members

Sounds like some good changes, Woody...

I went from no income and selling most everything I own, to a new job and buying way too many guitars.

I think I'm done for this year though...

I mean that will happen. Although I got too many guitars (as per usual) - the fun factor on the Epi Special 1 is over the top. Gotta keep it.

• Members

it's been a bit over a year but as far as amps go

had but no longer have

peavey classic 30

fender pro jnr

marshall bluesbreaker

epi valve jnr combo

modded epi valve jnr head

vox night train head and cab

ceriatone champ ultra

65 amps lil elvis

currently have

swart atomic space tone

laney lionheart l5t-112

pigonose

vox da5

i'm one amp away from being done

i've sold no guitars but have added

gretsch duo jet

used epi joe pass that is going to eventually get an overhaul

blueridge br163 acoustic

sterling by musicman ray 34 bass

i've added a fair bit of recording gear too

i've decided from now on (apart from stuff like strings) to have one shopping hit per year on a really nice bit of kit... my budget will be $4000

next years contenders are (currently)

trussart of some sort (probably a steelphonic)

65 amps london or london pro or soho

national tricone and a p bass

• Members

:thu: Cool thread.

For the band, I switched from a Telecaster as my primary guitar to a P90 Les Paul. I also switched from a Mesa Maverick 410 amp to a Vox AC15.

Some guitars and amps have come and gone in this past year, but my primary set have remained. It's the aforementioned gigging setup that underwent the big overhaul.

• Members

I've shed a number of $200 guitars; Xaviere, Xaviere, Kramer, Nelsonic, Hamer import

I've added a bunch of $500 - 700 guitars; Hamer Studio, Hamer Special FM, Hamer Special Mahogany, Hamer Artist (notice a trend here?), and a G&L Asat Special import.

More $200 guitars will be going out. I can only see a few more coming in.

• Members

Well a few years I made a Giant transition as far as gear goes. Things I gave up:

BOSS Pedals: flanger, chorus, delay

Line 6: Flextone II halfstack

Vox: AD 30

What I switched to:

BlackHeart BH5H stack and a tube screamer.

The guitars listed in my sig are the only guitars I have ever owned so no change there.

• Members

I've shed a number of $200 guitars; Xaviere, Xaviere, Kramer, Nelsonic, Hamer import

I've added a bunch of $500 - 700 guitars; Hamer Studio, Hamer Special FM, Hamer Special Mahogany, Hamer Artist (notice a trend here?), and a G&L Asat Special import.

More $200 guitars will be going out. I can only see a few more coming in.

I kind of did that a couple years ago - went from $200-ish guitar to a couple high end, and mid priced guitars. But then just recently I got an (GC exclusive) Epi Special 1, and a used Godin SD22, and used MIM Strat - so I kind of reverted and picked up a couple cheaper guitars recently. The Godin is a fine instrument - if it had slightly better PUP's it could be one of my favorites.

• Members

Not a lot of changes so far. I added a '77 Ovation Preacher solidbody electric to the stable. It's a really fun guitar to play and has quite a unique sound to it. I bought a couple of pedals, a TC nova delay and an mxr

Micro amp.

Right now I'm working on putting together a rig for an upcoming project, and thinning out some of the drums, cymbals, and misc. percussion I've collected.

• Members

That seems like a pretty big change in tone from Tele to P90. Depends on the amp - but I would think the P90 has got a bigger, thicker sound.

Well, I have a SD L'il 59 in the bridge of the Tele, so it was actually a lot beefier than your typical Tele. The P90 has a bit more sparkle though, especially through the Vox. It just sits "right" (for lack of a better term) in the band mix. Our other guitarist plays a HB LP into my '77 Marshall JMP. The two complement each other well.

• Members

Purchased:

Laney Lionheart L5T-112 (good choice mistersully)

Rickenbacker 360

G&L ASAT Classic

Fender CyberTwin SE

Danelectro '56 U2 (RI)

G&L Legacy

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

River R55-112

Fender F.A.T. Hot Rod Deluxe

Fender Humboldt Blues Jr. (enroute from PGS -- delivery day is 7/11!)

various pedals

Sold:

Rickenbacker 360 (same as above)

Eastman T184MX

Fender CyberTwin SE (same as above)

Fender Jazz Bass

River R55-112 (same as above)

various pedals

Archived