Michael Angelo Batio in a Korean guitar store video? Why?

ricer

• Members

http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/Shop/index.php3?var=Good&Good_no=15199

So I'm in South Korea right now visiting, and I was browsing through different Korean websites in search for a nice, cheap guitar. Then I came across this link at a website called schoolmusic, and thought nothing of it...until the video loaded, and lo and behold, it's MAB??

It just struck me as odd. What are his incentives to doing this? To demo a random Korean guitar, while he has a great endorsement deal with Dean?

• Members

i dont see MAB on that website :S

but if he is there, then he is either defecting

or while he was there to promote dean, someone handed him this guitar and he played a thing or two on it?

or he was just in the store trying out different things and one of those different things was this?

• Members

i dont see MAB on that website :S

but if he is there, then he is either defecting

or while he was there to promote dean, someone handed him this guitar and he played a thing or two on it?

or he was just in the store trying out different things and one of those different things was this?

Hmm, that's weird, as soon as I click on the link, a video player pops up on the page and plays the video. In the video, he's playing his randy rhoads tribute song with a Korean strat copy, and what's weird is that you can see his dean guitars in the background of the video.

• Members

Just because someone has an "endorsement deal" doesn't mean that it pays them, or that its exclusive, or that it covers the globe (in different markets, the artist may have different rights) - so it isn't surprising that an artist would try to capitalize on their notoriety in any way possible. I used to play in the backing band for a guy who got an "endorsement deal" with Epiphone in the late 90's. They sent him three free instruments and he agreed to let them list him in the artist roster. That was the extent of it :idk: He played a beat up Gibson in concert.

• Members

not sure what the question is but in general Asia (especially Japan) still love 80s shredder metal. They are cool like that, they dont go through phases like we do and go on to the next big thing when thery like something they like it forever.

• Members

not sure what the question is but in general Asia (especially Japan) still love 80s shredder metal. They are cool like that, they dont go through phases like we do and go on to the next big thing when thery like something they like it forever.

haha good observation.

• Members

the only people that dont like Michael are people that havent met him.

I have, hes one of the nicest guitar people you'll ever have the pleasure of talking to. He's a true guitar nerd. Bigtime. He'll teach anyone for free at the drop of a hat, hes super excited about music, and hes a fantastic teacher.

VERY humble guy. More famous guitar people should should be like him. No ego whatsoever.

Michael rocks

• Members

Well my big question here is why did he even do that demo video for the store. The store is a local store in Korea, not a big name like guitar center. Imagine my surprise when I'm just browsing through their site and find him demoing a guitar (by a relatively unknown guitar manufacturer at that)

• Members

I have, hes one of the nicest guitar people you'll ever have the pleasure of talking to. He's a true guitar nerd. Bigtime. He'll teach anyone for free at the drop of a hat, hes super excited about music, and hes a fantastic teacher.

VERY humble guy. More famous guitar people should should be like him. No ego whatsoever.

Michael rocks

Not a big fan of his music, but the videos I have seen of interviews and stuff he came off as a really frickin' nice dude, glad to hear that it's the case. :thu:

As for it being an unknown Korean brand, most of the Dean stuff is made in Korea these days so who knows if it's the same factory and how big that guitar is over there.

• Members

Michael rocks

Not the first time I've heard something like this about MAB.. By all accounts, he's one of the good guys. Kind of like the Anti-Yngwie..

• Members

Hmmm... so all I need is one good song?

monkey_thinking-236.jpg

• Members

Michael rocks

Felt the same when I met him too. Pretty impressive demo he does. After I got over the ridiculous wig he wears, I thought his Dean Demo was one of the neatest solo wankering's I have ever seen.

• Members

Outside of Korea the video may take a while to load. I gave up after a few minutes.

Yes, that's MAB playing a cheap Korean-made "Corona" strat knockoff (!). Oh well, I would guess that since he's outside of North America / Europe he can't be hassled (legally) by Dean.

If you have the ability to play the Windows Media format (IE will work), the direct link below is to the 6+ minute video. Copy and paste in the link into your player or Microsoft Internet Exploder or Windows Media Player (or equivalent).

mms://media.schoolmusic.co.kr/schoolmusic/data/shop/guitar/corona/corona_angelo.wmv

• Members

MAB travels all over the world giving clinics and showing off his skills. He may not be liked that much on this board, but the man is making a living doing what he enjoys; playing guitar.

Yeah I've seen people on these forums totally slam him and ridicule him....... I don't get it at all. He's a great guitar player for one. He's making a great living doing what he loves. And also..... he's actually a really cool guy. I met him when he was doing a clinic in my town and he did a great job and was very down-to-earth and easy going.

MAB - 1

Internet Forum Haters - 0

Archived