What can you tell me about the Peavey Bandit amp?

fuzztone

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had a couple of different Special combos, three being variations of the 12" version and most recently a 212S (S=Sheffield) that I ran atop a 212M extension cab. I sold off all of my combos, but my Peavey XXL head has most of the same features as the Specials.

My brother has a first-gen TransTube Bandit with an Eminence Legend 12" that was in it when he bought the amp. He's used it to power a 4x12 once or twice. Not too shabby.

• Members

Thanks for the posts! It is the model in the photo below.It is "made in the USA" and has a big reverb tank(the other,newer version has digital reverb).

It is in very good condition,just a few little scuffs. Everything works fine.It comes with a 2 button Peavey footswitch.The lowest price was $100 including sales tax but it has a 30 day warranty.

I decided to put it on "layaway" because I walked to the pawn shop(about 2 miles from my house).

Peavey20Bandit2011220Sheffield_2.jpg

foot%2003564630.JPG

A friend had one just like it and I loved playing it! Dist. is good and the clean is very nice and full. Sounds great low vol practice and is a very capable gigging amp.

:thu:

• Members

Oddly, my Peavey Bandit has finally started showing signs of giving up the ghost. I bought it in 1995 and it's worked solid since. I used it for everything at home; guitar students, trying out effect combinations, general practise, doing the odd small gig, laying distorted bass guitar tracks. It's done it all! I paid

• Members

I'd grab one for $100 - very capable amp.

And that is exactly what I did 30 min ago... found a Bandit 65 sitting on the local Craigslist for $100. Looked spotless. Seller was literally in the same neighborhood, too. No footswitch, but it's in perfect shape. If I didn't know better, I'd guess it was two or three years old.

15 min later...

:love:

The last time I played one of these was in `92... had one for 6 months, and I didn't think much of it then. I like to think I've learned a little about "what makes good tone" since then, and can definitely say this amp does sound very good for a solid state. I've been lugging an EVM-12L around for the past 10 years, and finally have an amp for that speaker.

• Members

Haven't played the recent ones, but mine's the same as the one pictured in the OP. The TransTube thing works pretty well for getting some crunch in the "clean" channel. I think most people that don't like the amp are just put off by the distortion in the lead channel, which is understandable, and never really push the clean. Your mileage may vary.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Anyone other than me have/had one of these?

peaveysp130.jpg

I had one of those...wasn't much louder than the Bandit, even though it had like twice the power...good sounding amp, took pedals like a champ...

...wish I still had it...traded it (plus lots of cash) for a JCM900...in retrospect the Peavey was abetter amp for me...:o

• Members

I bought one like your top picture that fits this description you posted.

"Transtube Series Bandit 112

(1995-1999) The Transtube Series Bandit 112 formally introduced Peavey's proprietary "Transtube" technology that allows a solid state amplifier to perform more like a vacuum tube amplifier. Central to the Transtube concept is a patented "power brake" that allows the user to control the amount of power required for dynamic range compression from the power amp, from 100% all the way down to 10%, thus enabling the amplifier to acheive power amp compression without running at full volume. The Transtube Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA and came stock with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. Notably, it was also the first Bandit to have an external speaker jack, allowing external speakers to be run instead of or in parallel with the internal speaker. Running into 8 ohms, power is still 80 watts RMS, but running into 4 ohms (the equivalent of using the internal 8 ohm speaker together with an 8 ohm extension speaker) the power is increased to 100 watts RMS. Due to the horizontal strip of chrome underneath the controls, this version is commonly referred to as the "Silver Stripe" Bandit, but due to the black color and square shape, it is sometimes called the "Blackbox" Bandit (not to be confused with "Blackface", which refers to F*nder products and/or performances in the style of Al Jolson...)"

I bought it for my stepson back in the mid-90s after which I was often offering him some of my tube or hybrid tube amps in exchange, but I never could get that amp back from him. :lol:

For a solid state amp it had a very nice sound. Deep reverb and the transtube tech worked pretty well.

I took another Peavey amp of that same generation to an amp tech and he commented on how good the components were on the Peaveys of that era. Solid substantial transformers, etc.

I also later on bought him a matching cab (referred to above) which he usually runs closed back (you had the option of closed or removed).

That with dependable solid state construction has made that amp his main "go to" for around the last 16 years or so.

Over the years I've also bought him the Roland Cube 30 for its different voices and more compact size, and the Bugera V5 which he loves for its more bluesy tones, but the Bandit is still his main rig.

Yeah, I'd grab it for a hundred. I think that's one of those "They don't make 'em like that anymore" types of buys. I know I played one of the later generations and I was surprised at how much the quality of tone had diminished. I have often thought that is why you get different opinions here when the subject of the Peavey Bandit comes up, i.e. they are not all the same or really even close.

• Members

I'll jump in and concur. I had the top one as well. I got it back when I was either 15 or 16 years old (95/96). I put the thing on layaway at Styles Music in Pomona, CA and paid it off over a few months. It was my first gig-able amp and I loved it. It legitimized me as a musician at the time.. or so I though. haha! I eventually decided I needed a Marshall JCM 900 and got rid of the Bandit. :(

/campfire

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone other than me have/had one of these?

peaveysp130.jpg

sorry bro, missed this the first time around. these amps are real sleepers. all kinds of tone in there. picked one up on CL for peanuts and never looked back. its my goto amp. sold my JC once I got this - if that says anything. and 4558 chips in the gain section. forgetaboutit...

Archived