What can you tell me about the Peavey Bandit amp?

fuzztone

• Members

I went to my local pawn shop today and saw that they had 3 Peavey Bandit 112 amps.

2 said Sheffield on the front and had Sheffield speakers and look like this. They were about $100 ea

Peavey20Bandit2011220Sheffield_2.jpg

The other had different controls on the front and had a Blue Marvel speaker.

It was priced at $130

bandit112-angle.jpg

Know anything about these amps? What are the differences between the 2 models?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Choose the Sheffield speaker above I think. It also has the T-Dynamics knob. The silver knob one is the newer version, slightly different tone switch options I think, but usually when people talk about how good their peavey bandit was, they mean one of the older versions.

• Members

Thanks guys! The folks at the Peavey forum referred me to this thread about the history of the Peavey Bandit and Timeline:

By GennyFan

***History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit***

The Bandit

(1980) The very first Bandit was only made for one year. As subsequent versions became available, the original Bandit came to be known as the "Gunsmoke Bandit" because the font used to silkscreen the logo on the front of the amp resembled the font used in the opening credits of the popular 60's television show, Gunsmoke. The Gunsmoke Bandit was made in Meridian Mississippi USA and had a power rating of 50 watts RMS. It came equipped from the factory with a 12" guitar speaker made for Peavey by Eminence.

Solo Series Bandit

(1981-1983) The Solo Series Bandit soon followed the Gunsmoke Bandit and incorporated a variety of improvements, most notably a much improved sound. The Solo Series Bandit was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 65

(1983-1987) With the Solo Series Bandit 65, large improvements in tone compared to the previous version were again realized and the power rating was increased to 65 watts RMS. The Bandit 65 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 75

(1987-1989) The Solo Series Bandit 75 saw the power increase by 10 watts to 75 watts RMS and a Bright Switch was added. The Bandit 75 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 112

(1989-1995) The Solo Series Bandit 112 introduced many new features, the most notable being an increase in power to 80 watts RMS and a choice between Peavey's Scorpion speaker and Peavey's newly introduced Sheffield speaker. Many of the innovations that would later be branded as "Transtube" were included in the Solo Series Bandit 112, but the name "Transtube" had not been adopted yet. There have been several different versions of the Solo Series Bandit 112 but they all share the same manual and the same control layout. One of the more popular variations is known as the "Teal Stripe" or "Blue Stripe" Bandit due to a blue horizontal stripe below the control panel. The Solo Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA.

Transtube Series Bandit 112

(1995-1999) The Transtube Series Bandit 112 formally introduced Peavey's proprietary "Transtube" technology that allows a solid state amplifier to perform more like a vacuum tube amplifier. Central to the Transtube concept is a patented "power brake" that allows the user to control the amount of power required for dynamic range compression from the power amp, from 100% all the way down to 10%, thus enabling the amplifier to acheive power amp compression without running at full volume. The Transtube Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA and came stock with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. Notably, it was also the first Bandit to have an external speaker jack, allowing external speakers to be run instead of or in parallel with the internal speaker. Running into 8 ohms, power is still 80 watts RMS, but running into 4 ohms (the equivalent of using the internal 8 ohm speaker together with an 8 ohm extension speaker) the power is increased to 100 watts RMS. Due to the horizontal strip of chrome underneath the controls, this version is commonly referred to as the "Silver Stripe" Bandit, but due to the black color and square shape, it is sometimes called the "Blackbox" Bandit (not to be confused with "Blackface", which refers to F*nder products and/or performances in the style of Al Jolson...)

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA

(2000-2004) With the Transtube Series II, the metal corners and input jacks that had been standard on all Peavey Bandits up until this time were replaced by plastic corners and plastic jacks. Due to a color scheme incorporating a red stripe across the front of the amplifier, many people refer to the Transtube Series II Bandit as the "Redstripe Bandit". During this time Peavey attempted to adopt a new company logo, and moved away from their traditional "pointy" logo. The new logo came to be known as the "Block Logo". The Block Logo was only used for a limited period of time, and the Block Logo Redstripe Bandits represent the last Peavey Bandits to be made in the USA.

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

(2004-2005) This amp is cosmetically nearly identical to the USA version, so it is also referred to as "Redstripe Bandit", but there are several differences between the US built Redstripes and the Chinese ones. First, the Chinese version says, "Designed in the USA" on the front, while the actual USA version says "Designed and Made in the USA". Second, the speaker in the Chinese version is either unlabelled, or is labelled "Blue Marvel", a Peavey code for speakers made outside of Peavey and then rebranded as Peavey. All of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped from the factory with US made Sheffield 1230 speakers. Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo", while most - but not all - of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped with Block Logos.

Peavey Bandit with Transtube Technology

(2006-current) The current version of the Bandit is made in China. It is the first Bandit to incorporate a "simulated output" for recording purposes. This simulated output runs independently of the amp's internal speaker, allowing silent recording. The simulated output can also be used instead of or in addition to a traditional microphone. In this version the spring reverb has been replaced by a digital reverb circuit, and the 10% to 100% T. Dynamics knob is replaced by a 3-way switch, allowing operation at 25%, 50%, and 100% power. Metal corners are reintroduced, but the footswitch is no longer included with the amp and must be purchased separately.

• Members

There's not a more desireable SS combo in my book. I bought a used Crate for my main practice amp at that price and now regret not holding out for one of those.:facepalm:

PS Once saw WC Clark play a blues show with that amp and a cheapish Japanese LP clone and he sounded damn good.:eek:

• Members

I would play through them and decide which you like better. Each "generation" of the Bandit sounded a bit different to my ears. My personal favs are the teal stripe "Solo Series", and red stripe "Transtube Series II".

• Members

I went to my local pawn shop today and saw that they had 3 Peavey Bandit 112 amps.

2 said Sheffield on the front and had Sheffield speakers and look like this. They were about $100 ea

I owned one of these for a few years - I would drop $100 on one today without a second thought (unfortunately, peaveys dont turn up too often out this way). Frankly, if the shop had two of them for 100 each, I would buy both and run them stereo.

I sold it because I was moving to Japan, otherwise I would probably still have it.

Surprisingly good response to picking dynamics, lots of headroom on the clean channel and sounds excellent through a cab.

Oh, and unless you set fire to it, drop it in a lake, or attack it with a chainsaw it will (a) work and (b) be worth $100 to someone, should you decide to get rid of it. I got $150 for mine.

• Members

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

(2004-2005) This amp is cosmetically nearly identical to the USA version, so it is also referred to as "Redstripe Bandit", but there are several differences between the US built Redstripes and the Chinese ones. First, the Chinese version says, "Designed in the USA" on the front, while the actual USA version says "Designed and Made in the USA". Second, the speaker in the Chinese version is either unlabelled, or is labelled "Blue Marvel", a Peavey code for speakers made outside of Peavey and then rebranded as Peavey. All of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped from the factory with US made Sheffield 1230 speakers.
Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo", while most - but not all - of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped with Block Logos.

Um, i have a chinese redstripe bandit with the block logo...

• Members

LOVE Bandits...probably my fave solid state amp out there. I love the newer models (favorite was the redline models)...and would drop $100 on one of those in a second! I like the idea of getting both of them and running a stereo rig...that would be sweet!

Just play through them, and get the one that you like the best. It'll run FOREVER...

• Members

Um, i have a chinese redstripe bandit with the block logo...

I've got a slight variation on that history based on some additional research of manuals and the Peavey Revolution book posted at thebanditpage.info/. While there are 7 distinct generations of the Bandit, Peavey was notorious for releasing transition models of the transtube line so there are models which fall between the cracks.

$100 is a very good price if in full working order. However, I'd try to hold out for Red Stripe variant if possible which was the most fully developed Bandit which still includes the T.Dynamics control (which is missing on the newest line).

• Members

Thanks for the posts! It is the model in the photo below.It is "made in the USA" and has a big reverb tank(the other,newer version has digital reverb).

It is in very good condition,just a few little scuffs. Everything works fine.It comes with a 2 button Peavey footswitch.The lowest price was $100 including sales tax but it has a 30 day warranty.

I decided to put it on "layaway" because I walked to the pawn shop(about 2 miles from my house).

foot%2003564630.JPG

Archived