Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX To Be Discontinued?

Chumer

• Members

You are asking me why I am looking at a Les Paul if I like wide flat shredder necks? That is one of the oddest questions I have been asked in a considerable length of time.

Then again perhaps you were being humorous.

No, I was making a rhetorical point, responding to your note about Chappers - noting his preference for those kind of necks and then saying the Epi was "too fat" - what I meant was "well, duh! Chappers! it's Les Paul! If you like shredder necks, LP's are prolllllllly not for you."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dang, I've been wanting one of these forever! Gonna be hard to resist the $500 price tag now!

I wish I could see more the of the finishes in person.

I'm with BryanM on this one - GREAT poor man's Lifeson Les Paul! If it just had the NanoMag system. Maybe Epiphone has plans to release an Epi Lifeson model (too good to be true!).

Argh! Now, I wish that Musicians Friend 10% still worked!

• Members

My Honeyburst is one of the sweetest playing LP's I've run into...

5771812585_0d800f9f71_z.jpg

The top on yours is really fantastic. Mine is more subtle and faded- it looks like yours doesn't suffer from the blocky separation of colors like some Epi's do- it blends nice from center to edge. :thu:

• Members

FUUUUUUUUUUU! Did anyone happen to notice that yesterday's MF Stoopid Deal of the Day was the Honeyburst for $399?!?

I wonder if MF would still honor that if I called in? By the time I noticed it my credit union was closed.

BLEH.

• Members

No I did not notice but I'll call them when I wake up and see what they say, let me know what happens when you give it a try...unless there is some way could both request it at the same time to increase influence as a mini-group buy, but I cannot see that being very likely.

• Members

I called MF and yes they will honor the $399 today! The problem is I get ass-raped by UPS and Canada Customs and Canadian taxes so that I would need to pay an extra $200 (perhaps more) than the MF's incredible $399 pricing. Still might be worth it though!

• Members

I called MF and yes they will honor the $399 today! The problem is I get ass-raped by UPS and Canada Customs and Canadian taxes so that I would need to pay an extra $200 (perhaps more) than the MF's incredible $399 pricing. Still might be worth it though!

So, did you pull the trigger?

• Members

There is a Canadian mail-order house, that when all is said and done, is close to being price competitive, so I'll prolly go that route...damn I wish I lived in the US...you guys do not realize how lucky you are when it comes to low prices on stuff.

I want to buy a few other items at the same time, so we'll see what kind of a package deal they can put together for me.

http://www.lamusic.ca/SearchResults.asp?cat=&RefineBy_Manufacturer=Epiphone&RefineBy_Price=600-660&Search

I forgot to mention one other major {censored}ing ass-raping is the UPS hidden charge of "brokerage fees" which is only tallied at the time of delivery. It can be avoided, but then you have to drive out to the airport and broker it yourself.

• Members

I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

• Members

Heh. :D

I have a couple more mods I want to do to mine, I've already had the trem blocked to work only "forward" and I replaced the pickups with a Benedetto A6 (neck) and Fralin High Output Bridge.

I want to do the following mods:

1. Brass sustain block on the Floyd

2. Keystone Grover tuners (Instead of the stock "Kidney Bean" shaped keys)-preferably aged nickel like the pickup covers I have.

3. Vintage Amber toggle switch knob instead of the stock "cream"

4. PIO or vintage caps on the tone controls

• Members

Hmmm... well, putting a Floyd on anything is an instant deterrent to me buying it; I'm sure there are others who feel the same. Also, I think the majority of people wanting a Les Paul aren't looking for that type of bridge. I could see that being an item that wouldn't sell well.

I guess I'm in the minority. I do desire an LP with a Floyd. Since many find an LP with a trem undesirable, maybe they'll drop the price somewhat on the Axcess model's, as that's what I'm GAS'ing hard for now.

• Members

I guess I'm in the minority. I do desire an LP with a Floyd. Since many find an LP with a trem undesirable, maybe they'll drop the price somewhat on the Axcess model's, as that's what I'm GAS'ing hard for now.

I never wanted one. Of course, though, it works pretty well in Big Al's hands.

I ordered one :(

• Members

I got one today. My favorite guitarists are Robert Fripp, Steve Hackett and Alex Lifeson, so it was pretty much certain that I'd eventually check out one of these guitars.

I got the Honeyburst finish. It looks great, but not entirely flawless. Some of the dark finish appears to have ran down the neck close to where it connects to the body. It isn't obvious, you'd really have to be inspecting it closely to notice. The neck has a satin finish, it's easy to get around.

The worst thing I can say about it is the action sucks, it's too high. I'll have to learn more about the floyd and set up the guitar more to my liking. The strings are kind of tacky, I'll replace them. The floyd rose special is stable, but given the poor factory setup I bet it's not as stable as it could be. I don't think there isn't anything wrong with it that can't be fixed by a good setup.

The pickups sound decent, I'm in no rush to replace them. The coil tap feature is cool, it will not mimic a strat but it offers some good extra tonal options. The burstbuckers in my VM Les Paul sound better but I expected that (louder and more clear). The balance is good, with or without a strap, and it weighs less than my Gibson. It doesn't have the cutaway behind the neck like the LP Axcess, but the access to the upper frets is still good.

Overall I think it's a good buy at $499. I will probably add a Roland Pickup someday, maybe even a sustainer if I get really ambitious. :cool:

• Members

I still would like to get one of these and mod the heck out of it! Replace the "Special FR" with an OFR, new pickups, locking grovers (yeah, I'm like that), maybe get one of those bigger blocks for the trem....

You know, there's almost no difference between the OFR and the FR Special other than country of manufacture (and a slight bevel on the back edge of the saddles). I've had both and the Special is a very good trem. Switching one out for an OFR would be a waste of money.

A big brass block would be cool though.

• Members

You know, there's almost no difference between the OFR and the FR Special other than country of manufacture (and a slight bevel on the back edge of the saddles). I've had both and the Special is a very good trem. Switching one out for an OFR would be a waste of money.

A big brass block would be cool though.

According to all sources, the ONLY difference in the Special and the OFR is exactly what you mentioned....and that the SADDLES are made from solid steel on the OFR and an alloy on the Special. :thu:

To hurtz: The Special is NOT however a "licensed" import Floyd it is A REAL FLOYD ROSE (think of it as their "official" import model as opposed to a cheaper knockoff)

So I agree, that in many ways it would be a waste of money to get an OFR, but I do want to put the brass block in mine :D. That said, the Pro FX DEFIES logic in some ways, It has fantastic sustain for a FR guitar, not quite as much as a full on LP, but seriously - it's quite remarkable. Also, the routes for the pickups go THROUGH the body into the tremolo cavity, which seems like a cheap shortcut IMO, but to be honest? it is a great playing, great sounding, great looking guitar - especially if your replace the (decent!) Epi pickups with your favorite humbuckers of choice.

• Members

"solid steel" is an alloy.

As to increasing sustain with a brass block...well you would first have to prove that consequential string energy is making its way to that part of the trem, and secondly prove that the increased mass was less likely to absorb said energy, then thirdly that said energy was somehow returned back to the string in a manner that did not cause net energy loss though phase cancellations.

I am not saying that a more firmly affixed bridge does not have the potential for improved sustain as opposed to a less firmly affixed bridge, but only that things are not as simple as they may seem.

Archived