3 Humbuckers - What's The Point?

danswon

• Members

Does anyone actually use a middle humbucker? I can't see any time i'd ever use one. It's frustrating because i love the look of an SG custom but would never buy one because of that middle 'bucker. Plus it seems that all the 3 humbucker guitars i've seen use a 3-way selector switch, so you lose those sexy in-between sounds!

The only way i can imagine appreciating 3 'buckers is if they were all wired in parallel and had a 5-way selector switch, so it'd be in the ballpark of a noiseless strat. Hmm that's got me thinking!

nq91q9.jpg

• Members

Does anyone actually use a middle humbucker? I can't see any time i'd ever use one. It's frustrating because i love the look of an SG custom but would never buy one because of that middle 'bucker. Plus it seems that all the 3 humbucker guitars i've seen use a 3-way selector switch, so you lose those sexy in-between sounds!

The only way i can imagine appreciating 3 'buckers is if they were all wired in parallel and had a 5-way selector switch, so it'd be in the ballpark of a noiseless strat. Hmm that's got me thinking!

nq91q9.jpg

I can solve your problem, I used to have one of those, I totally loved the looks but the middle bucker got in the way. Ordered a full face SG pickguard from WD Music, problem solved, just had to had a few screw holes, sorry I don't have a pic anymore, did this a couple years back.

• Members

With a three way switch it doesn't make as much sense but it could still be wired as one or two of the HB's could be split coils, I believe. But, I'm with you, the five way switching makes much more sense.

In another but similar train, I saw a guitar yesterday with four coils; a humbucker, a mini humbucker, a single coil and a P-90. The switching was crazy, though.

• Members

But how can you look like teh Framptonz or the Frehleyz without three pickupz?

I've not played any of the Epis, but most of the Gibsons have three volumes and one tone so you have access to all of the combinations. I'd imagine the Epis are the same arrangement.

• Members

I can solve your problem, I used to have one of those, I totally loved the looks but the middle bucker got in the way. Ordered a full face SG pickguard from WD Music, problem solved, just had to had a few screw holes, sorry I don't have a pic anymore, did this a couple years back.

I really don't like those SG Standard full-face pickguards

• Members

I always thought the three HB Gibsons were wired with the three way switch wired normal (neck + bridge in middle position) and then all three pickups had their own volume knob (can blend middle pickup in at any position), with a master tone control... I'm not familiar with them at all but that's what I remember hearing some where.

• Members

I always thought the three HB Gibsons were wired with the three way switch wired normal (neck + bridge in middle position) and then all three pickups had their own volume knob (can blend middle pickup in at any position), with a master tone control... I'm not familiar with them at all but that's what I remember hearing some where.

I have a 3 pickup Epiphone SG custom, and it's wiring scheme is Bridge and mid, all three, and neck and mid. With a volume control for each pickup, you basically can get any combination between the three, so I find it very useful.

As far the mid humbucker being useless, I'm going to have to disagree. it can be very handy for giving a bit more bite to a neck humbucker, or for rounding off a bridge tone that's too sharp. The only real conceivable complaint I guess you could find with it, is that the mid humbucker can get in the way of picking for certain players.

• Members

I have a 3 pickup Epiphone SG custom, and it's wiring scheme is Bridge and mid, all three, and neck and mid. With a volume control for each pickup, you basically can get any combination between the three, so I find it very useful.

As far the mid humbucker being useless, I'm going to have to disagree. it can be very handy for giving a bit more bite to a neck humbucker, or for rounding off a bridge tone that's too sharp. The only real conceivable complaint I guess you could find with it, is that the mid humbucker can get in the way of picking for certain players.

ah yes that does sound more useful. add a series/parallel switch and you've got lots of useful tones, all noiseless. but yeah my main issue would probably be getting in the way of picking. i do like the look though

• Members

I'd say there's some value to the middle pickup. I've never actually TRIED a mid-position humbucker, but I know a mid-position Strat pickup is highly versatile, seems to have a little more midrange and growliness to it....I quite like it.....a shame so few use it...

A mid-position humbucker would be that, but moreso perhaps?

And, your idea of parallel-wired humbuckers with Strat switching, quite intriguing. Hm.

• Members

Gibson had several different 3 pickup wiring schemes over the years. The original ES5 had 3 volumes and master tone for its 3 P90s. The Switchmaster version was introed in 1955 and went to a configuration of individual volumes and tones for each pickup, with a 4 way switch that chose each pickup individually or all 3 at once. This was retained when humbuckers replaced the P90s. The 3 pickup Les Paul Custom wiring was neck by itself, middle and bridge together, and bridge by itself. It retained the two volume, two tone configuration of the 2 pickup Les Pauls.

• Members

I've got a Flying V-3 with a rotary pickup selector which gives these selections, from one "end" of the selector to the other: bridge+neck, bridge, bridge+middle, middle, middle+neck, neck.

A lot of useful tones actually. Took a little while to get used to it, but no problem now. Been using it for live gigs with no problem.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I am just learning to play so I do not know enough about guitars...but its fascinating, now I am learning for a few day's on a Vintage Boulevard Black 1003 with

three humbuckers. I like the guitar but I find there is hardly any info by the factory in what everything does, I miss the Info on the volume and toneknobs and

I am still discovering what every part does. That in itself is fun but there is hardly any info or user reviews on the web or youtube. 

Just general info about Vintage and some youtube films on older examples of that brand. 

Now my question is:  Are three humbuckers like this:  2 neck and 1 bridge? Or is the humbucker in the middle a special humbucker for that purpose?

Again I am new at this and learning a lot about Gibson/Fender and other brands so sorry if my question seems so simple but hé I am a beginner and up untill now

I love the guitar.

Archived