Duncan Design HB-102 - Any good?

Rykoro

• Members

Well I wanna get some new pickups and my friend said he would sell me his old Duncan Design HB-102's (neck and bride) for 30$.

I play heavy stuff like Megadeth.

Good deal?

Good Pickups?

Thanks in advance?

• Members

They are the import clones of the Jazz/JB.

I've got a set in my ESP LTD H-302....simply amazing!

In my Squier M-77 and others they've been decent. I think the quality of them varies from pickup to pickup. Some of them sound pretty blah, and some sound very good.

But $30 for a set in good shape is a deal.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Dredging up an old topic... But getting something straight...

I have a Schecter artist and a c-1 plus (artist = seymour duncans) and they sound almost identical the Duncan Designs (hb-102 set). The DD sound like they may have a slightly higher output..Bottom line unless you have perfect pitch its about impossible to tell which is which.

Some players subscribe to the notion that higher cost and name brand make a pickup better... Thats why there are so many EMG 81/85 guitars ..so generic sounding that with the right pedal..or pod.. they can sound like anything. Its actually nice to have a guitar you can just plug directly into and amp and get a nice tone with some bite. (Of course with an active 9v 18v EMG setup you can drive the #@%* outa a valve amp) Had to throw that in so the metal-heads don't flame me..LOL " I know its only Rock N Roll but I like it"

• Members

I've not used the HB-102, but FWIW, I've had a Route 101 with two SC101s and an HR since 2000. I've idly thought about replacing theme with higher-priced pickups, but then I pick it up again, get my amp set up correctly, and fall in love again...

• 8 years later...

Archived