Dirty South Al

• Members

So I am building a custom Tele guitar for myself and I was planning on cutting an old Tele bridge since I am rerouting for a full humbucker in the bridge but someone suggested that I just look for one that are being made like that already. I found Rutters guitars and saw their hot rod parts and I am thinking his chopped aluminum bridge with brass & aluminum e/a saddles.

anyone use these before? do the saddles stay put well? I am a string bender using 11-56 strings normally.

RuttersChoppedBridge2.jpg

this is the guitar that I am building up. going to make a mahogany/rosewood neck for it.

$(KGrHqIOKkQE4hHvzoVSBOUwmlKm8Q~~48_3.JP

• Members

Any particular reason why you would prefer that bridge over a six-saddle hardtail Stratocaster bridge?

I am having fun with it and I do enjoy the old school tele style saddles. taste and what I am envisoning for this one is a cut-off tele style bridge. fun.

that being said, neither of you have experianced the Rutter bridge?

• Members

those GE Smith teles are great guitars. my good friend tommy has one that I borrowed for a couple of days and i really enjoyed it. the bridge pickup on his was a monster. great guitars and I personally get why GE wanted his plates cut and I agree with his reasoning.

Sorta' reminds me of the GE Smith tele:

0118202854_frt_wlg_001.jpg

I love to point this out to all the know-it-alls who insist that "the bridge and the bridge-mounted pu are absolutely integral to the tele sound!"
;)

here's video that tommy turned me onto when they first came out. :thu:

[video=youtube;SnQYoRYedF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQYoRYedF0

• Members

Wilkenson also makes a cut bridge. And it comes complete with the compensated saddles. Ain't as purty as the one in your pic. That one almost gives me wood.

Here's a pic of the Wilkinson one, it comes with the Wilkinson compensated brass saddles...

WilkinsonWTBC.jpg

• Members

Wilkenson also makes a cut bridge. And it comes complete with the compensated saddles.
Ain't as purty as the one in your pic
. That one almost gives me wood.

yeah it's pretty nice. you know the reason I am curious about the Rutters stuff is that they are not badly priced at all. that one above in only $85 with my choice of saddles.

here's is standard chopped one for ahout $100. my goal with this guitar is to build me what i want for under $700

the wilkenson one looks too cheap to me vs. the Rutters for what i have planned although I do like their compensated saddles and have used them before.

RuttersHalfBridge1.jpg

• Members

Here's a pic of the Wilkinson one, it comes with the Wilkinson compensated brass saddles...

And here it is on a "Tele" I'm just about finished putting together. :D

P1010065.jpg

I've used the Wilkinson unit on three different Tele style guitars now and it's a great piece of hardware, plus it's quite cheap in comparison to the Rutters unit. Still, I've considered buying the Rutters bridge to try it out. I've bought a few bodies from Marc and he's one of the nicest guys in the world to deal with and everything he makes is extremely high quality.

A few people over on The Gear Page and TDPRI have used that bridge. If you don't find anyone over here talking about it, you might try one of those other forums.

• Members

I have the Wilkinson cut bridge installed on a Rutters body. Why didn't I go with the Rutters bridge? Simply because I was trying to stick to a lower budget for my inaugural build.

I bet if you search around TDPRI you can find some feedback on the Rutters bridges. They sure do look nice!

EDIT -- beat to the punch by Tweedledee

• Members

I have the Wilkinson cut bridge installed on a Rutters body. Why didn't I go with the Rutters bridge? Simply because I was trying to stick to a lower budget for my inaugural build.

I bet if you search around TDPRI you can find some feedback on the Rutters bridges. They sure do look nice!

So his bodies are good too. Very nice to know. thanks.

• Members

Oh WOW, that guitar looks great. Good job!!

The Gear Page & what is the TDPRI? I am not a member of either place. I have been on the gear page but that place looks huge and sometimes confusing but I will check it out. Thanks.

So his bodies are good too. Very nice to know. thanks.

Thanks! :)

TDPRI is the biggest Telecaster forum on the web (www.tdpri.com). Tons of people who are absolutely crazy about Telecasters and build them all the time. People tend to be quite friendly over there and love to talk about Teles and answer questions. It's definitely worth checking out.

• Members

Oh WOW, that guitar looks great. Good job!!

The Gear Page & what is the TDPRI? I am not a member of either place. I have been on the gear page but that place looks huge and sometimes confusing but I will check it out. Thanks.

TDPRI is THE Telecaster forum. You don't have to be a member to search, I have only posted once or twice there, but have garnered a wealth of information from searching.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php

Good luck with your project, it looks like it's going to be a GREAT guitar! :thu:

EDIT -- Beat to the punch by Tweedledee AGAIN!

• Members

Thanks!
:)

TDPRI is the biggest Telecaster forum on the web (
www.tdpri.com
). Tons of people who are absolutely crazy about Telecasters and build them all the time. People tend to be quite friendly over there and love to talk about Teles and answer questions. It's definitely worth checking out.

yeah i will check it out later today.thanks. got to get back to work now but thanks. another great job on that guitar. :thu:

• Members

Damn you, Al! I see that GFS has the Wilky cut bridge for $33:

c36_a.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

I've got an electrosocket jack to put on my tele, and have been wondering what the next mod should be... I'm thinking this might be it. :mad:

Oooh -- AZ guitar parts has it for $18!!! :eek:

• Members

Ha ha! your getting closer to your own GE stye Tele~ $18 is not bad for those. :thu:

Damn you, Al! I see that GFS has the Wilky cut bridge for $33:

c36_a.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

I've got an electrosocket jack to put on my tele, and have been wondering what the next mod should be... I'm thinking this might be it.
:mad:

Oooh -- AZ guitar parts has it for $18!!!
:eek:

• Members

Since you're a builder, perhaps you can answer me this: If I were to replace the bridge on my MIM standard with that shorty, how would I mount the bridge PU? Would I simply substitute wood screws for the ones that currently secure the PU to the bridge???

Archived