Putting a neck humbucker in the bridge position

theminpoes

• Members

But seriously, in the old days there was no difference between bridge and neck pickups.

I think with the 57 Classics, the only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces because the strings are a little farther apart at the bridge.

So if the potential for explosions is not a concern, I think you would be okay - or maybe you want to do the Ace Frehley thing.

• Members

Lots of classic pickups - PAFs, Strat single coils, etc. - were wound/constructed pretty well the same for all positions, so it'll likely be just fine. I like low output from bridge position humbuckers, so I've used neck 'buckers there with good results on several occasions.

• Members

I've done it a couple times. I had Seth Lover neck pickups in both my bridge and neck positions until I got a proper bridge pickup... the difference was minimal at best.

And some 'neck pickups' work VERY well in the bridge position... The Dimarzio Air Norton comes to mind.

• Members

But seriously, in the old days there was no difference between bridge and neck pickups.

I think with the 57 Classics, the only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces because the strings are a little farther apart at the bridge.

So if the potential for explosions is not a concern, I think you would be okay - or maybe you want to do the Ace Frehley thing.

Hopefully no problems will occur as a result of the spacing.

• Members

I wasn't crazy about the pickups that came with my Les Paul, so when I swapped out the 490R in the neck for a Seth Lover, just for an experiment, I tried putting it in the bridge. While the 490R was too dark and muddy in the bridge for my taste, it sounded much better in the bridge where the highs and mids were more accentuated, and it also balanced better with the low output Seth Lover in the neck.

Archived