Sanctified Electric Guitar!

• Members

Brother Willie Eason, from the Sacred Steel Tradition -- looking for more solo stuff from that trad. Most of it is with a band.

Little Wooden Church On The Hill

2146034.jpg
Is that an old Gibson amp or an Epiphone Electar?

eason.jpg

That's an Electar. On my short list of amps to buy (I'd like to get a Magnatone 280 as well).

Django played one when he came to the US:

4-Django.jpg

• Members

This cat is perhaps the new generation of that big happy Maj chord gospel.. kinda groove..
one you get a big hammond stabbing at the cymbal crash.. man thats where its at...
he going on a ride.,.... great stuff... when the saints come.....!!

Man Beck holds it down.. so i think its pretty nice Gospel its just a really nice tune..
a great cover..

mho
  • Members

Oh, yeah! Me likey! :rawk:

And may I humbly submit ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQ1fZUAoBA

Good stuff, nice slide chops. I'd recommend shifting it 3/4 time, because that's the original tune's rhythm. Maybe try a 12/8 to keep that triplet feel?

• Members

Yeah, Jeff Beck on "People Get Ready" is awesome but I prefer it performed by the song's author, Curtis Mayfield. ;)

This is a gorgeous performance a few months before Curtis was hit by a falling lighting rig, paralyzing him from the neck down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQqTxK7VhSk

The tune's actually a (thinly veiled) civil rights anthem; Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions did very well writing these coded anthems that white people thought were just simple R&B/gospel tunes. Unfortunately, he got busted with 1967's "We're a Winner," which white radio programmers thought was a little too obvious.

• Members

Thanks for reminding me about him. Goes on and off my radar. Love his sound and resolve. Never thought of Big Boss Man as a sanctified song, but ya know it could just work.
;)

Ha ha! That "sanctified" stuff just flew over my head. I just posted something that was related stylistically.

• Members

Good stuff, nice slide chops. I'd recommend shifting it 3/4 time, because that's the original tune's rhythm. Maybe try a 12/8 to keep that triplet feel?

Thanks for checking it out.

Yeah, my hymnal has it in 3/4, but I wanted it to swing a bit so I went with 6/8. Just did it on the fly while sight-reading -- had to transpose too, for the book has it in G and I did it in E. I should do another take in 3/4 to get that sitting in the pews feel. :)

• Members
Man, what a player. You can hear why Hendrix loved him so. Curtis is the source of Hendrix's rhythm chops.

Cool band. David Lindley on lap -- and is that Hiram Bullock?

Yeah, that's the late, lamented show Night Music with David Sanborn. It ran for two seasons from 1988 to 1990, and David's big thing was putting musicians from very different genres onstage to see what would happen. Obviously David Sanborn's in there on saxophone plus Bullock and Omar Hakim on drums.

Unfortunately, there's no chance of ever getting it on DVD (licensing issues, plus the fact that the show didn't do that well) but they featured some sick jams back in the day. Some of the crazier ones included Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) with Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Bongwater and {censored} Willow, David himself with The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Conway Twitty with The Residents, and Nick Cave with Ornette Coleman bassist Charlie Haden.

Embedding forbidden!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMRzDFMvEo

:thu:

Yeah, I just noticed that. :cry:

But still worth checking out. God, I love that song.