DCinDC's cheap git club - The Haven

dcindc

• Members

This is my first git with a TOM style bridge and the only thing that i cant figure out is how to keep the bridge saddles from rattling. I did put some teflon tape on the height adj post threads to keep the bridge from rocking(was alotta play in thread tolerance of inserts,and posts) which has helped it stay in tune better but occasionally the bridge rattle's. Plays nice when it doesn rattle.

Ok I tried to tweak the spring to cure the rattles but while trying to reinstall the spring,it was fubar. Seems like a weak design to me anyway. I got the bridge from this set http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-Tune-O-Matic-Elec-Guitar-Bridge-Stop-Bar-SET-1_W0QQitemZ200327860306QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41407QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262?_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262(bridge is available without stopbar but the diagram for the set shows the setup of the saddles while the diagram for the bridge only doesnt so shop carefully to get what you want). Slacked the strings enough to get the old one off posts and slid this on. Amazingly string hieght and intonation were almost right on,and no more rattles. Its got a lil more meat on it(wider from bridge to neck meas.=more room for intonation adj.), and it is much easier on the hand too(stock bridge had some rather pointy edges).

Stock bridge(minus spring) is in my recycle bin so if anyone needs it for spare parts(you pay postage) let me know.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would have been all over that Hamer for $150! :love:

And I have that same Xaviere. I've only seen about three others. LOVE that neck pickup!

P1080151a1.jpg

The recent Hamer Stellar rescue- $150 delivered with a genuine SD bridge:

P3249840.jpg

Xaviere Tele XV 800 for $180 ebay:

P3249847.jpg

• Members
IMG_0310.jpg

Looks just like mine except I've got the clear pick guard.
:thu:

and I paid $200 for mine on clearence from MF.

Gotta love those Goldtones, not real hot but really good bluesy pups.

I got the same deal on the same guitar. I painted my pickguard (sprayed the underside) white though:

Honey.jpg

Twas a lovely guitar but sounded so much like my Jet Star I sold her a few years later. Still have Ruby though, $225 from Muso's Friend:

Ruby.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Here's a couple more cheapies.

Ibanez GAX. $50 including Dimarzio pickup, plus $4 in Tru Oil and $12 in knobs.

DSC_4153a1.jpg

Older Korean Epi LP. $100 from GC because of a bad volume pot. Plus $40 used GFS Alnico II pickups:

DSC_3239a1.jpg

Palmer strat copy. Traded for a pedal I got for free. TERRIBLY guitar, but it photographed well:

DSC_3823a1.jpg

LTD Viper 100. $40 plus $90 for a pair of used BG Pure 90s:

DSC_4910a1.jpg

Funky refinished Squier. $10 with a Duncan American neck pickup, plus free pickguard and a $35 used Dimarzio Chopper:

DSC_5098a1.jpg

Samick Cedar Top Acoustic. $100 OTD with a free set of strings at Guitar Center:

DSC_5302a1.jpg

Harmony $40 at a pawn shop plus a $30 used Dimarzio SDS-1:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

• Members
Here's a couple more cheapies.

Ibanez GAX. $50 including Dimarzio pickup, plus $4 in Tru Oil and $12 in knobs.

DSC_4153a1.jpg

Older Korean Epi LP. $100 from GC because of a bad volume pot. Plus $40 used GFS Alnico II pickups:

DSC_3239a1.jpg

Palmer strat copy. Traded for a pedal I got for free. TERRIBLY guitar, but it photographed well:

DSC_3823a1.jpg

LTD Viper 100. $40 plus $90 for a pair of used BG Pure 90s:

DSC_4910a1.jpg

Funky refinished Squier. $10 with a Duncan American neck pickup, plus free pickguard and a $35 used Dimarzio Chopper:

DSC_5098a1.jpg

Samick Cedar Top Acoustic. $100 OTD with a free set of strings at Guitar Center:

DSC_5302a1.jpg

Harmony $40 at a pawn shop plus a $30 used Dimarzio SDS-1:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

wow that Viper :thu:

Archived