DCinDC's cheap git club - The Haven

dcindc

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Couple weeks ago I got a 1989 Yamaha RGX112 from craigslist. $40 for guitar, little solid state Maco practice amp and a decent gigbag. The guitar is damn near mint! I like the neck...very much like a cross between a 50's & 60's Gibson neck in every way except it's 25.5" scale. Fret work is good, pups are decent, and it's very RED! Was just playing it this morning before work...and digging it. Not my photo, but just like mine:

rgx.jpg

• Members

Couple weeks ago I got a 1989 Yamaha RGX112 from craigslist. $40 for guitar, little solid state Maco practice amp and a decent gigbag. The guitar is damn near mint! I like the neck...very much like a cross between a 50's & 60's Gibson neck in every way except it's 25.5" scale.

Nice score. Hard to find a good super strat with a gibson style neck. I wish my Ibanez RS1000 neck was flatter and wider,it would get alot more play.

• Members
I'm new to bass but the PUPs sound good so far. I'll probably change my mind one day as I do about everything guitar related.
:D

I haven't played an SX J-bass, but I have one of their P-basses and I think the pup is killer. The bass overall is really nice. When I got it I fully intended to swap out the pup, but as it turns out it's one of my favorite things about it.

• Members

I've been given a few guitars over the years, but here's the cheapest guitar I've ever actually bought. It's a First Act I got on eBay for $11. The seller had two listed, one with a switch that only worked on the bridge position, one with a switch that only worked on the neck position. There was a bit of delay on the sellers part and he apologized 'dropping the ball' and when we met, he told me that he was mistaken and that the volume knob didn't work properly so he knocked $10 off from my time and for the improper listing info.

Anyway, I got it home, cleaned it up a bit, sprayed out the electronics with compressed air and it worked perfectly. I smoothed over the fret ends, oiled the fretboard, polished the frets, put on new strings and set it up. I have no real plans of keeping it, but I must say it's not the worst guitar I've ever owned. Tone is kinda lame, but with the new strings and polished frets, it's actually a very decent player. And it's really short. Full scale, but since the bridge is so far down the body, and with the 2+4 tuner arrangement, it feels almost like a short scale guitar.

It has a boost of some sort that doesn't add distortion through a solid state amp, but probably ups the volume by 6 dB or so and when that's turned on, there's a blue LED that glows. Kinda lame, but I'm sure someone, somewhere likes the idea.

P1060427a1.jpg

• Members

My First Act makeover is done.
Got it on blowout from JRmusic for $79.99 with a free distortion pedal(F/A MX510).
I love the neck on this guitar(currently my favorite player), even with all the new gold its still right around the $200 mark.
I now call it my 501 Custom.

Wilkinson EZ locks
ME601-small003.jpg
ME601-small006.jpg

SJK pickups. 8.5k neck, 15k Bridge(on my meter anyway)

ME601-small008.jpg
ME601-small009.jpg

• Members

SJK are available on ebay from southeast music http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-Humbucker-Pickup-SET-fits-Les-Paul-Guitars-H5S_W0QQitemZ130235411024QQihZ003QQcategoryZ22670QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 (where I got all the gold bling Xcept the tuners from G/F). Was the only place i could find a gold bridge that was same as original(nice and solid).
Haven't been able to plug in yet except for my sons Marshall ms-4 micro. So....so far all i know is the pups work. Guitar was unstrung for about a month and with new bridge have been tweaking and waiting most of the day. I'll give the pups a test sometime much later today.

And it now has some 10-46 on it. didnt have any when pics were taken.

• Members
I'm looking forward to your impressions of the guitar/new pickups
:thu:

Always looking for a cheap good source for p'ups.

I would make some clips but have no interface as of yet so to quote a Skynyrd song "All I can do is write about it". ;)

• Members
My First Act makeover is done.

Got it on blowout from JRmusic for $79.99 with a free distortion pedal(F/A MX501).

I love the neck on this guitar(currently my favorite player), even with all the new gold its still right around the $200 mark.

I now call it my 501 Custom.

Wilkinson EZ locks

ME601-small003.jpg
ME601-small006.jpg

SJK pickups. 8.5k neck, 15k Bridge(on my meter anyway)

ME601-small008.jpg
ME601-small009.jpg

Niiiiiice!:thu:
The 501 is the one Paul Westerberg picked up on a whim one day while buying shaving cream at a WalMart while on tour. Liked it so much he put it in rotation for the rest of his tour. You have good taste, sir!

• Members
Niiiiiice!
The 501 is the one Paul Westerberg picked up on a whim one day while buying shaving cream at a WalMart while on tour. Liked it so much he put it in rotation for the rest of his tour. You have good taste, sir!

I got my 601 first and after some adjustments I liked the way it played. Then the next week they had the sale on 501's and for less than $90 delivered with a free dist. pedal and 12 pack of picks I had to buy it. :lol: I like it a lil better than the 601's neck(similar width at nut but 501 is 2mm wider at 15th fret). No regrets.

I am gonna put the original 501 pups(labeled alnico 50 neck=8.3k, and alnico 52 bridge=8.5k) in a guitar that is currently in UPS hands.

I gots at least one more post in this thread coming hehe.

• Members

I was able to test the SJK pups today. I havent tested very many pups in my life so dont have much to compare to but to me they sound as advertised,like a PAF with more output. A little more clarity,and a little more balls than the pups I removed from the guitar. For less than $20 apiece I think I got a good deal.
Nice and quiet too I might add. set the git on the stand with amp and control knobs at playing volume and there was no noticeable hum or buzz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
mar09058.jpg

mar09059.jpg

mar09056.jpg

Here is my latest(and last,according to my wife) guitar. SX NGG1-CLA which according to Kurt at Rondo this was the last one. Mahogany body/carved top,mahogany set neck,alnico pups(recycled from my ME501).

Stock this came with black open coil pups that didnt suit the classic look to me as for how they sounded I don't know I yanked em before ever plugging in mainly because the strings it had on it were corroded. As read in a few of the user reviews here the plastic parts(pickguard,pup rings,etc.) were an ugly peach/pigs belly pinkish color so i had to replace them,and add a rythm/treble ring. Its my cheap 57 Darkback copy. :thu:

This is my first git with a TOM style bridge and the only thing that i cant figure out is how to keep the bridge saddles from rattling. I did put some teflon tape on the height adj post threads to keep the bridge from rocking(was alotta play in thread tolerance of inserts,and posts) which has helped it stay in tune better but occasionally the bridge rattle's. Plays nice when it doesn rattle.

• Members

Thats really beautiful!

What bridge is that, where'd you get it? (I want one in chrome for my ME434)

Its the exact same bridge it came with just in gold. I got it on ebay seller name southeastmusic. When i got my gold one they had chrome,gold,and black in this style which is a direct bolt on on my string-thru body guitar.

• Members
mar09058.jpg

mar09059.jpg

mar09056.jpg

Here is my latest(and last,according to my wife) guitar. SX NGG1-CLA which according to Kurt at Rondo this was the last one. Mahogany body/carved top,mahogany set neck,alnico pups(recycled from my ME501).

Stock this came with black open coil pups that didnt suit the classic look to me as for how they sound I don't know I yanked em before ever plugging in mainly because the strings it had on it were corroded. As read in a few of the user reviews here the plastic parts(pickguard,pup rings,etc.) were an ugly peach/pigs belly pinkish color so i had to replace them,and add a rythm/treble ring. Its my cheap 57 Darkback copy.

This is my first git with a TOM style bridge and the only thing that i cant figure out is how to keep the bridge saddles from rattling. I did put some teflon tape on the height adj post threads to keep the bridge from rocking(was alotta play in thread tolerance of inserts,and posts) which has helped it stay in tune better but occasionally the bridge rattle's. Plays nice when it doesn rattle.

I love the look/shape of those SXs. I wish the Agiles looked like that. Nice Guitar Congrats.

Is that an SX Scorpion bass hiding in that picture?

• Members

Stock this came with black open coil pups that didnt suit the classic look to me as for how they sound I don't know I yanked em before ever plugging in mainly because the strings it had on it were corroded.

I think that was a mistake. I liked the pups in this model, since sold to Woody.

Your's looks good! I love the mahog backs.

• Members
How about my DeArmond M-72? $338 (+29 shipping)

IMG_0310.jpg

Looks just like mine except I've got the clear pick guard.:thu:

and I paid $200 for mine on clearence from MF.

Gotta love those Goldtones, not real hot but really good bluesy pups.

• Members

What bridge is that, where'd you get it? (I want one in chrome for my ME434)

Measure the E-to-E spacing of yours. I've seen a number of bridges like that on eBay recently. Put this in the search box on eBay under guitar parts: (hardtail, hard tail)

Include the parentheses. That way it searches for both terms.

• Members

It's funny. The guitars I buy generally come in under $200; the ones my wife gets for me (birthday's, Christmas, etc.) come in well above...

Some of my inexpensive finds:

The recent Hamer Stellar rescue- $150 delivered with a genuine SD bridge:
P3249840.jpg

Xaviere Tele XV 800 for $180 ebay:
P3249847.jpg

Nelsonic Starliner LP- (a bolt on LP with all the schnick und heft of the real deal) for $149 at the local... It wasn't there more than a day:
P3249863.jpg

83 Ibanez Roadstar II in fantastic shape, $165
P3249859.jpg

A Kramer Striker from MusicYo back in the day. Probably 210 or so...
P3249844.jpg

With a good setup and attention to detail, they're as playable as anything out there. And its fun to pick and choose.

• Members

The wire spring is there. Should it be pressing the screws away from the bridge or towards it?

On mine, the prongs that go into the bridge posts are below the screws, and the top "bar" of the spring flips up over on top of the saddle adjustment screws. What that does is press down on the screws to keep them from turning in or out.

• Members

Finally, why didnt I think of this thread? All I have are cheap guitars, 6 of the 10 were under $200.

First Act Delia SFA
First Act VW Garagemaster
Samick Shredder (Although it was 2nd hand)
Nonamecaster
Jay Turser 133 Semi
Epiphone J Bass (2nd hand)

The others were under $400.

Archived