DCinDC's cheap git club - The Haven

dcindc

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't taken any pics of it, but I got like the ultimate guitar for this club a couple weeks ago. A First Act ME685. I won it on ebay for $21 and it was local so I picked it up in person. It was listed with one problem, but before I could pick it up, he said it had a different problem and there was a delay on his end, so he knocked $10 off.

$11. Even has the tag still on the tuning machine.

I got her all cleaned up, I sprayed the control panel area and didn't really have to 'fix' anything. Oiled the fretboard, polished the frets, put on new strings... First Act strings to keep the Chinese goodness mojo going.

It plays just fine. It feels kinda dinky because of how short it is overall. I think it's the shortest overall length guitar I've ever owned, maybe other than the OLP MM1 EVH knockoff. I doubt I'll keep it, but for $11, I had to post on this thread. I'll put up some pics in the next few days.

• Members

Had to jump in here and add my "Cheapy" collection. Almost all tuned to Drop B.

Lets go from newest to oldest.

Fender Mim Telly 72 Custom. 218 bucks at a pawn shop. Main guitar right now, everything stock, the bridge SC has some nasty grind to it.

DSCI0022.jpg

Musicyo Kramer Vanguard. 179 w/hsc when I bought it back in 2000. These things are frickin 300 bucks w/o case now and MII, from what I hear the quality has gone pretty far downhill. This baby has had more pup changes than fat chicks have double cheeseburgers. Currently empty again, although I had a Dimarzio Super Distortion in it previously.

kramer.jpg

Last but not least, my first stage guitar when I was 13. Ibanez Silver Cadet. Plywood body, with a GREAT thin Ibanez neck. Great playability, horrible tuners, not much tone, but the neck was and still is super comfortable. Been smashed on more than a few stages, and been used to smash beer bottles now and again. Still has some broken glass embedded in it.

silvercadet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I pickup up a Jay Turser Cutlass Q off ebay for $149 incl shipping. The seller said the pickups sounded muddy. I plugged it into my Vox AD50VT and it is jangly and bright like minibuckers should be. Go figure.

Also bought an Ibanez ADX83 in volin burst for $200 shipped. It was unplayed with original strings and just needed a truss rod tweak. Both are really nice guitars.

cutlassqh.jpgcutlassq2.jpg1000719qp2.jpg

1000765za8.jpg1000681sv1.jpg26334933ie3.jpg

• Members
guitar2002.jpg

My 8 year old sons guitar. Brownsville JDST mini($119 at sam ash). I put the original alnico PAF style pups from my ME601 in it coz i like the way the chrome covers look better than plain black open coils. IMO a well built and good playing kids guitar.

• Members

I only have one stratocaster and one SG, but both are unfortunately made in the USA. Can I still hang out here? I like the cheap guitars club better than the expensive guitars club. Ah! I have a old squier strat back home. Does that count?

• Members

Have parts on order to complete my ME501 project. and an SX scorpion bass in the mail aswell. More pics to come.

I just got an SX Scorpion Bass from Rondo. It is solid as a rock, VERY well made.

Here's a link to the NBD thread I made for it. As you can see from the replies in the thread, the Scorpion don't get no RESPECT. LOL. But I LOVE it.

• Members
Pics of my B stock SX Scorpion Bass with CNB case for $90. :)

sxscorpionbassfront.jpg

Sadly, I didn't get the Scorpion gigbag too.

sxscorpionbassincase.jpg

That is lint, dust, or fibers from the case, not scratches on the upper horn of the body. I don't think it has any scratches on the body, yet.

sxscorpionbassbodyincase.jpg

Glue on the Scorpion inlay.

sxscorpionbasscloseupscorpioninlay.jpg

sxscorpionbassincaseheadstock.jpg

And the Case.

cnbbasscasefront.jpg

• Members

I've got a Scoprion guitar b stock. It had a fret that was not fully seated. It was at the scorpion inlay. I removed it and cleaned the slot and reinstalled it.

That neck is so good that I put it on a Fender.

The stock pickups were the worst I've EVER heard. I put GFS clearance pups in it and it was transformed.

• Members

Got my SX Scorpion bass yesterday :thu:. I paid $99 and got the gig bag and strap with scorpion logo's(strap even has it embossed in the leather). Mine has a little glue by the inlay like vanzant38's pic shows but otherwise the finish on it is flawless. Checked neck to body fit with a peice of paper and only got about 1/8" of corner to fit in 1 spot. Hard to believe you can get this much bass guitar for $100. I havent plugged it in yet but if i dont like the pups GFS are cheap. I tuned it to pitch and let it sit overnight to settle in and today will set it up to the specs listed on Fenders support page.

*Edit I figure with a high mass bridge and a pickup swap this will be the only bass I'll ever need.

Archived