Artists who cheesed out?

Folder

• Members

I always liked those songs. But I consider the production on both of them to be pretty cheesy. I think they could be better records if they were produced differently. Good songs are able to rise above the cheese factor.

What would you have possibly done to make those records "better"?

Nothing inferior or cheap about the technology in either of those tracks. They probably where as expensive and superior as anything ever recorded up to that time. It just makes them a product of their era.

These records were the musical "Jurassic Park" of their day. Do the special effects in that movie look cheesy compared to what can be done with CGI today? No. Just somewhat dated. But it was groundbreaking, cutting edge, and pushing the limits of the technology at the time. A technological marvel. Those reasons alone will prevent it from ever being "cheezy" by those who know what into making it.

Dated and cheesy are two different things.

To me, cheesy is something that is cheesy the day you hear it. Barry Manilow doing "I Can't Smile Without You" was cheese the day it was recorded. It didn't need 30 years for the technology to become outdated to start sounding cheesy.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are all extremly funny !!!

Cheesy sappy music is the only music which sells and we produce,

or i would have to work in a grocery store as most of you

So you dom't have to go to the grocery store to get cheese.

• Members

To me, cheesy is something that is cheesy the day you hear it. Barry Manilow doing "I Can't Smile Without You" was cheese the day it was recorded. It didn't need 30 years for the technology to become outdated to start sounding cheesy.

I won't argue with you on that one:)

• Members

By the time we got to 1985, any song with the words "rock and roll" in the hook was just screaming 'cheese'.

1985? At least 10 years too late! (Remember "Rock 'n Roll Heaven? Oops, sorry to remind you. Dammit, sorry you reminded me! Talk about cheeze!)

Regarding lyrics, I'm reminded of what Robby Robinson said when they wanted to list the lyrics on the album insert. "Lyrics? What? It's rock 'n roll." (Or something like that.)

In any case, I still like hearing this tune. Reminds me of 7 weeks I spent in HA, with a cheap rented car with AM radio only, hearing this song and the hits from Sting's first solo album. Good times! Oh yeah, and that Mister Mister hit with lyrics borrowed from George Harrison -- another cheezy song I still enjoy. Plus TFT's Shout and Head Over Heels (I prefer the latter), and Henley's Sunset Grill. That's about all I remember: I think these were the only songs they played, all day long!

• Members

All pop and rock is cheese, even the songs you think are not cheesy are total cheese.

I you want something else in music which is not cheese, then you must listen to another genre music.

All genres of music have some cheese.

You of all people should know this.

• Members

but pop is only cheese

Cheese Flavored Pop.

Billion Dollar Idea.

Nacho Coke

Pepsi Cheddar

---

I watched the last couple episodes of the Voice, mainly because I like Christina's cleavage.

But I have to say Adam Levine firmly planted himself as a DoucheBag of epic proportions.

That guy is just the king of Douchebaggery

• Members

Jefferson Starship's "We Built This City" has really become the poster-child for bad or cheezy song. It's the song that people Love To Hate. Now here's where
I
am mystified: I think it is an excellent record in every way. Great theme, great harmonies, great lyrics, great melody.

I couldn't disagree more. We Built this City sounds like it was professionally crafted and polished by several highly experienced pop-meisters using an established formula. Anyone competent could have sung it and it may have been a hit. It is 180 degrees away from the edgy, passionate music they made up to 1975.

Archived