Stupid questions about Telecasters and rockabilly

johnnyl80

• Members

Do you think I need the neck single coil to play rockabilly, or can I just use the bridge one for that kind of tones? :facepalm:

Thing is, after many hollow bodies I'm considering going the Tele route, but I've never had one, and I'm asking this specific question because 1) I really like the Esquire look, so I'm considering one, 2) a friend of mine has a mint MIM 72 Custom like this:

2791.png

... That he would sell me for cheap, so I'm considering that one too...

Another stupid question, now that I think about it: would you play a 72 like this with a rockabilly band, or do you think it would just look wrong?

Thanks! :thu:

• Members

If you want to really worry about looking the part, I'd posit that a Gretsch or Gretsch-type guitar (maybe an Artcore or Epi WildKat) is more traditionally "correct" than a Tele anyhow. From a sound standpoint I don't think the '72 would have any problem with rockabilly (I don't have a '72 but I do have 2 Teles with neckbuckers; I don't play in a rockabilly band, but some of my old school punk band's music is certainly rockabilly-inspired, a la Social D, etc.). From a visual aspect, unless your band is going full-bore sideburns/pompadours/doghouse bass, I wouldn't worry about it; to 95% of the population a guitar is a guitar.

If I could get that '72 for cheap I'd be all over it like white on rice.

• Members

I think that the middle position is my go to rockabilly tone. A neck HB is a nice blend for the bridge SC. However, i find that I like a separate volume control for each pickup so I can dial in that blend properly. So the keith richards guitar has an edge over the regular tele.

I play rockabilly and have an epi es-295 (p90/p90) as my #1. My backup guitar is an HH strat and in recordings I can't really tell the difference. The feel is very different and I prefer the short scale 295 for rockabilly. I just play more authentically when I am using the hollowbody. But if you break a string, the fender scale will work

• Members

would you play a 72 like this with a rockabilly band, or do you think it would just look wrong?

It's a very good guitar, probably the best overall in the MIM branch. You're wrong if you're chasing the look. Don't be a poser like 85% of players in this style.

Lot of classic records in this genre were cut with Teles.

• Members

If you can play rockabilly, you can play it deluxe on this ... particularly in the middle position. (Unless you're in a dress-up rockabilly band, in which case nothing but a Gretsch or a Gibson jazzbox will do.)

If you can't ... it won't be a problem.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

wow a lot of people don't no anything about real classic traditional rockabilly music...the guy above who says a gretsch is more traditionally correct for rockabilly than a telecaster is completely wrong the telecaster was used way more in the mid 50's for rockabilly in fact there were only a few Gretsch players and how many of the classic rockabilly cats of the 1950's had tattoo's allover and wore more makeup/hairspray than there girlfriends/wives wore......what they call rockabilly now has nothing to do with tradition...Brian Setzer is a perfect example nothing about him says traditional rockabilly....

Archived