ableton live in a live dj set

mrbannsiter

• Members

hello

could anyone help me out.....i'm a programmer and keybaord player whos recently taken a shine to the idea of getting myself some form of dj skill set.

i've got 2x technics 1210s with a djm 500 a mac g5 dual 2.5 and a powerbook g4 1.67

i'm wanting to incorporate some form of software into the set up and was looking at ableton - i already use pro tools and reason for work as it is but have absolutely no idea how to incorporate abelton into a set and what exactly people are using it for live. is it for sampling records or are more users actually creating songs on it to play live?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ableton is STUPID simple.

If you have it or the demo, just run through the tutorial on "Creative DJ'ing with Live" and if you should be able to pick it up rather quickly.

This is coming from someone who has relatively no clue how to use most audio software.

It's really just a very intuitive, powerful realtime sequencer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You need to ask yourself what sort of dj you a aspire to be. Ableton live will allow you freedom in a musical sense. I wouldn't use it for complete songs just loops really.

Maybe final scratch or hercules console might be better. Ableton is very powerful music creation system that is very easy to use. At any rate I would purchase live just to expand your horizons it may change the way you think of djing.

• Members

You could use both laptops, Final Scratch on one, Ableton on the other, get a voyager midi syncher, and a midi compatable mixer (the DJM 500 is outdated, sell it quickly) you could hook your decks to your laptops, play from fs on one, and the created loops and edit the music from the decks using ableton, it would be very cool.

• Members

I use live as my primary djing tool now I leave my tables at home I sample all my vinyl bring them into ableton. Use my digi 02 for outputs send to my allen and heath xone 92 (channels 1 and 2) use the mixers eq,faders and fx. since the mixer has midi control (on crossfader, start button and two knobs) I assign the crossfader to ableton crossfade and use my mixers eq and faders and use a xsession controller for my sends on abletons fxs.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Im useing Live 4 with a Power Book G4.

To be honest I have been useing it with loops mainly but I was wondering If I could use 5 min. songs and use the Laptop as the main sound generator on the set and get more concentrated on the FX.

I tryed a couple of times but looks like If the tracks still keep the original tempo.................Im going on tour very soon performing live with a guitarrist and I'd like to prepare the whole sessions at home covineing my songs with the guitarrist's one + some others.

Is there any special option that must be activated to handle songs in stead of loops?

Sombody helps me?

Cheers from Ibiza

• Members

Originally posted by mrbannsiter

hello

could anyone help me out.....i'm a programmer and keybaord player whos recently taken a shine to the idea of getting myself some form of dj skill set.

i've got 2x technics 1210s with a djm 500 a mac g5 dual 2.5 and a powerbook g4 1.67

i'm wanting to incorporate some form of software into the set up and was looking at ableton - i already use pro tools and reason for work as it is but have absolutely no idea how to incorporate abelton into a set and what exactly people are using it for live. is it for sampling records or are more users actually creating songs on it to play live?

I would get a sequencer and program about 10 different loops . Vary them slightly every few miniutes.Make them all about 20miniutes to a half hour long. This would take well, you could do it in one day.This would make something for them to bounce around to while they are eating ectasy and you can just make up some impresive story as to how you did it. They wont know.

Archived