Old English polish on a rosewood fretboard?

Volitan

• Members

The main ingredient you need to know about in that stuff is silicone. You DO NOT want that stuff on your guitar. If you ever need finish work done, it will cause ALL KINDS of headaches.

Stick to lemon oil or something.

Pledge and all those dust repelling polishes are loaded with silicone. Stay away!

EG

• Members

The main ingredient you need to know about in that stuff is silicone. You DO NOT want that stuff on your guitar. If you ever need finish work done, it will cause ALL KINDS of headaches.

Stick to lemon oil or something.

Pledge and all those dust repelling polishes are loaded with silicone. Stay away!

EG

This.

I only use diluted murphy's oil soap with a tooth brush to get the grime off. I only do that maybe a few times a year though. Fretboard conditioners and cleaners are gimmicky IMO. Most people don't use anything on their rosewood fretboards,except maybe a dry cloth to wipe off the sweat.

Whatever you do stay away from pledge or old english. You can use them on a maple neck if it is lacquered but definitely not rosewood.

• Members

I would never use furniture polish on my unfinished fretboards. I do use Old English lemon oil on my rosewood fretboards though. According to the product's ingredient list and MSDS sheet, it is simply mineral oil (petroleum distillates) with a little artificial coloring and scent added in. Although those two ingredients are unnecessary, I can't see them causing harm.

EDIT -- Here's a photo of the oil I DO use on my fretboard:

Old%20English%20Lemon%20Oil-16oz.jpg

• Members

I would never use furniture polish on my unfinished fretboards. I do use Old English lemon oil on my rosewood fretboards though. According to the product's ingredient list and MSDS sheet, it is simply mineral oil (petroleum distillates) with a little artificial coloring and scent added in. Although those two ingredients are unnecessary, I can't see them causing harm.

I have nothing to add, I have just never heard anyone outside Columbus reference Two Cow Garage :thu:

• Members

You didn't cause any permanent damage. Really, the main issue with the stuff is that, if used enough times, the silicone will build up in the pores and gets nasty.

It's also a major pita if you ever need finish work done.

If you want, you can always clean it off with naptha. (Zippo lighter fluid)

EG

• Members

EDIT -- Here's a photo of the oil I DO use on my fretboard:

Old%20English%20Lemon%20Oil-16oz.jpg

I almost never see a sensible reply concerning "lemon oil" wood treatments. But, this is a good one, Deadbeat.

Not really "mineral oil" like what you get at a pharmacy (not that heavy a grade, etc) - but truly more like lighter fluid (naptha) and containing little, if any, actual oil of lemon. Works great on rosewood and other bare woods.

Greg

• Members

This.

I only use diluted
murphy's oil soap
with a tooth brush to get the grime off. I only do that maybe a few times a year though. Fretboard conditioners and cleaners are gimmicky IMO. Most people don't use anything on their rosewood fretboards,except maybe a dry cloth to wipe off the sweat.

Can that stuff be used to clean an untreated maple fretboard? I have a First Act Sheena which has an untreated maple fretboard and it has become quite dirty. I've used a moist towel to wipe off some of the dirt but was wondering if that Murphy's soap might do a little better job? Any advice on that product or any other that might work is appreciated!

• Moderators

I almost never see a sensible reply concerning "lemon oil" wood treatments. But, this is a good one, Deadbeat.

Not really "mineral oil" like what you get at a pharmacy (not that heavy a grade, etc) - but truly more like lighter fluid (naptha) and containing little, if any, actual oil of lemon. Works great on rosewood and other bare woods.

Greg

Greg if you read the MSDS on the Old English "lemon oil" you'll see it's exactly the same product that you buy at a pharmacy.....look at an MSDS for naptha, especially boiling and flash points, you'll see it's starkly different than the above MSDS

Archived