Where does a WAH pedal sound best in yout effects chain?

beardog

• Members

well it makes alot of difference where you put it, but mainly what matters is where your distortion is in relation to it. in front is more typical wah sound like slash or page, after makes it somewhat more like a filter and can get harsh if you use alot of gain and roll it to the high end. if you have a distortion box and good amp gain then you can put it after one and before the other to have both sounds.

• Members

Taken from Robert Keeley Electronics site: (www.robertkeeley.com)

EFFECT PEDAL ORDER AND PLACEMENT

Q: Is there a specific order my effects should go in?

A: Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen. There have been times when a compressor after a delay pedal or reverb unit has caused some bad (good?) effects, there have been brilliant moves to place effects in certain orders that break most rules, but below is a guideline I came up with and was published in Musician's Hotline Magazine. Nice things is it gives you a way, a phrase to memorize so that when you're on the road, you can get it right if you pick up a new effect.

Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget. Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement: Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect. Wah -> Which, Compressor -> Chain, Overdrive -> Of, EQ -> Effect, Pitch -> Pedals, Modulation -> Make, Level -> Life, Echo -> Easy. I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We?ll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn?t being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can?t handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.

• Members

I have mine after the tuner, and before the volume pedal which is the last effect out to the amp input. I use no distortion boxes in front of the amp.

As was mentioned, if you use a distortion (or two or more), you would be well-advised to try the wah in all positions in front of, in between and after your distortion devices to see where it works best for you.

The order of effects I have decided upon is based on the best reaction I get with my effects.

Wireless>tuner>compressor>distortion>wah(can be reversed with order of distortion)>EQ>volume pedal out to amp input.

Effects that are time oriented, I place in the loop:Send from Loop>Trem>phase>chorus>delay>reverb to return of loop.

This is just what I like. As was mentioned above, each person has their own lineup of how they desire the effects to be used. There is no right or wrong way, only your way.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

The Wah is a filter and should go after your Comp, pitch/octave, OD's, and EQ. Then into level/volume and onwards to mod and then echo/reverb. This is Bob Bradshaw's advice on general pedal order and have found it works well for me too. Logical path.

• Members

Hate to disagree with Bob Bradshaw, but I have to have the wah before my distortion.

It's a matter of personal taste....and depends on what you're using it with at the same time. I tend to just use clean wah....not crazy about how distorted wahs sound....too screechy? When you start mixing things depending on the style of you're playing is where it can get weird.

• Members

Before I go starting a new thread to get an answer....

Anybody have experience with a separate buffer box and the ZVEX Vexter Fuzz Factory? What have you learned?

Clearly the ZVEX sounds better when it's seeing the guitar's high impedance, like most pedals, but was it still ok after your buffer? Was there a massive difference? Or did you have to keep the FF first to maintain it's fullness?

• Members

As someone who just bought a wah pedal (Boss V Wah) and experimented with it a bit, I found that I liked it much better in front of my distortion than behind it.

It kinda makes sense seeing as how a wah is really just a tone control - to put it right at the front of the chain

• Members

Hate to disagree with Bob Bradshaw, but I have to have the wah before my distortion.

Yeah, I think Bob loses big time with this one, it might be his logic but you can't argue with the foot traffic. I'm a great believer in whatever sounds best to you, but I'm willing to bet that more people put it in front. But YMMV.

Archived