What Inspires GAS in you?

Brainfertilizer

• Members

Sometimes it is appearance: there are some guitars just too pretty to ignore.

Sometimes it is rarity: a Peavey Vandenberg Custom Neck-Through, a rare maple fretboard Hamer Californian or 12-string Chaparral

Sometimes it is historical significance: Alvarez Dana Scoop w/ Graphite neck (Dana Sutcliffe-designed guitars have won NAMM product of the year multiple times, I think)

Sometimes it is because of a great deal: I can't ever sell the 90%-condition Hamer Centaura I nabbed for $300.

The last one was due to electronic switching: I love the switching options on mid-80s Matsumoku Westone H-S-H guitars, like this one:

What inspires your GAS?

What would make you lust after a guitar from an unfamiliar guitar brand?

What would make you want to try out a guitar you had never played before? Innovation? Price? Woodgrain/finish appearance? New bridge design? Cool fret inlays? Pickups? Switching options?

• Members

Yeah usualy when i see something new i get all crazy inside...i am a sucker for sig models too..not cause of the guys who play them but usually they have a model that sets its self apart from the production stuff, and i love that S**t

• Members

Something I don't have but feel I would like to have. Different build, features or design. Occasionally, but less common, it will simply be the color. But I have rarely bought a guitar just because "I don't have on in that color".

The last guitar I was day-dreaming/GAS'n about was this one.

JA1029-front-l.jpg

but the $4K price is like a bucket of cold water.

• Members

years ago I desired guitars that i saw in the hands of guitarists who i loved listening to. not because i thought they'd make me play like my "heroes", but because it completed a picture in my mind and inspired me to keep getting better. more recently, i have come to love guitars as an object in and of themselves. its ok to simply think of a guitar as a tool, but i don't. i admire it as an art form. i appreciate the historical and cultural significance of it. i appreciate the aesthetics of the instrument; particularly the "classics". and all that before i even fret a note.

• Members

Something I don't have but feel I would like to have. Different build, features or design. Occasionally, but less common, it will simply be the color. But I have rarely bought a guitar just because "I don't have on in that color".

The last guitar I was day-dreaming/GAS'n about was this one.

JA1029-front-l.jpg

but the $4K price is like a bucket of cold water.

Agree 100% and yeah... that Johnny A gets my heart pumping hard.

• Members

For me, sometimes it's as simple as color. I really want a yellow guitar, I don't know why, just do. Other times it's a perception of class. I really love pointy Ibanez guitars, but they aren't necessarily what I think of when I think of certain kinds of music or being a forty year old man playing said music. And yet other times it's just wanting to move up a step from what I've got to something a little better or different like going from my one channel, 20 watt Jet City to a JVM210.

GAS comes in many forms for me.

• Members

Mostly it's features/aesthics...

I bought a Dean ML 'coz Explorers w/Floyds are hard to come by.I also loved the neck shape,very similar to the '79's that I like.But I didn't "have" to have it,it just happened that I could pretty much swing it at the time.

Got a Blk MIM Squier Strat from a pawnshop(cheap) just to mod it(scalloped neck,HH set-up).

Traded my '79 Dean V even for an Epi Explorer(Blk/Gold hrdwr),just because.I didn't play the Dean much & was gonna CL it.My friend wanted a V & didn't like the neck on the Epi.

Bought/traded for a cheapo LP copy just so I could have a Blk & Cream(pretty much) LP in addition to my Blk/Chrome Epi that I bought to lighten the load for my Gibson....Also just kinda wanted to side-by-side 'em,just because.

I "need" another Strat like a hole in the head,but there was a Jay Turser Strat @ GC today that just floored me,visually.The whole guitar was kinda Minty Grn w/a MG p/g & Cream appointments,RW board.It's beautiful & I can totally see it as a modding platform...

Bought an Import Dean Caddy R/I,just 'coz I've always wanted one(thank God for their MIK line)!!!

Bought a Squier Stagemaster to have a HH "Super" Strat w/a Floyd & 24 frets...

Built a Warmoth to replace the Blackmore Strat I sold...

& sometimes they're just stupid cheap(for what you want),too!!!

So yeah,it varies.

Still want an Epi LP w/a Floyd,too.tho...

Archived