White Joan Jett Melody Maker review - with clip.

grumphh

• Members

For those that haven't read my trade thread i have just acquired a JJMM as part of a trade, and have now spent a few hours with it.

Enough time to say a little about the guitar i think.

...believe me if i say that i would never have bought this one outright - i am neither into signature guitars (except Les Pauls), Joan Jett nor relics :D

Anyway, the guitar is from 2008, reliced in "worn white" (and mine came with some additional gunk from stickers - must have been owned by a true a JJ fan :eek:), has a double cutaway body and a straight fat neck, with an ebony fingerboard and vintage sized frets on it, that serves to make the whole thing neck heavy.

Fortunately it is a light guitar so keeping it in balance is not a hard task, but well-balanced it is not.

Tune O'Matic and 6 nondescript tuners make up the rest of the hardware.

Electronics consist of one burstbucker 3, volume and tone controls (that actually work :thu: ) and a killswitch.

As simple as simple gets.

First impression when playing it is that it has a good accoustic volume and a slightly nasal tone to it. The thin and light body seems to be very resonant, which imo is a good thing.

Second impression (plugged in) is that the pickup is very nice in this guitar, together with my Marshall 6101 combo.

It has a high output but is very bright so you don't get the mud that other high output humbuckers often give you and playing it with a slight overdrive gets me into instant AC/DC territory (or at least that is what i hear - you be the judges :D ).

Sustain is fair, but not excessive - a nice blend of percussiveness and body.

So basically one very good sound for the primitives of yesteryears rock - although i am sure that it could be molded into other styles as well. I amy still set it up for slide, as i think that this tone would do very well for that.

Now for the one big negative:

The fretboard is to slim for the neck!

We are not talking mm's here or anything - but on both sides of the neck there is a noticeable ridge where the board meets the neck, that should have been sanded down before applying finish.

The frets do not stick out so it is not the ebony that has shrunk.

And yes, that ridge does get annoying after an hour of playing - especially the lower one - at least to my sissy hands.

I will have to take some sandpaper to it if i am to keep this.

Even though we are talking budget guitars, this is ridiculous, and those &%%

• Members

Shame about the neck ridges, but I do like that tone!
:thu:

Yup, i guess you could call it a "lively" guitar (in the best possible sense) - and well, being as "reliced" as it is, a bit of sanding on the neck won't hurt it that much.

Stil annoying to have to do that, though.

I am actually fairly surprised that it seems that the stories of atrocious QC at gibson don't seem to be exaggerated...

• Members

Yeah, good tone. That's what that guitar is designed for :thu:

I'm not a huge JJ fan either, but I am "a bit of one". I fairly recently bought a greatest hits of hers and one thing I often think when I hear her music is Great Marshall Tone!

In the classic hard rock genre, I feel her tone is fairly similar to AC/DC.

[video=youtube;5LRaQ5ufH_s]

case in point -

[video=youtube;s-312lVPnhY]

I'll have to check my JJ MM to see about that board to neck fit. I'm wondering if there could have been some swelling of the neck after the finish due to climate changes. Doesn't seem likely though does it?

• Members

I'll have to check my JJ MM to see about that board to neck fit. I'm wondering if there could have been some swelling of the neck after the finish due to climate changes. Doesn't seem likely though does it?

Nah, i mean, yes, we have {censored}ty humid weather over here - but this is definitely a factory error.

And no, the tone in that video is nothing like AC/DC's :D

Way to much gain - i made that same mistake when i was younger too, thinking that AC/DC was gainy when in fact their guitars were played almost clean on the first many albums :D

(But imo everything from BiB and onwards has to much gain in it :D )

• Members

And no, the tone in that video is nothing like AC/DC's
:D
Way to much gain - i made that same mistake when i was younger too, thinking that AC/DC was gainy when in fact their guitars were played
almost
clean on the first many albums
(But imo everything from BiB and onwards has to much gain in it
)

I'm thinking like their tone starting here at the 1:45 mark and 2:39. But then again, that's a bit of Malcom

[video=youtube;IlejfA5NCbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlejfA5NCbQ

• Members

I'm thinking like their tone starting here at the 1:45 mark and 2:39. But then again, that's a bit of Malcom

To be honest i have never been able to discern who plays what - apart from the obvious solo parts - despite AC/DC being what i listened to during most of my youth :D

But this is the tone i mean when i hear AC/DC mentioned - volume, not distortion makes it. Even my clip above is to gainy for this... :eek:

[video=youtube;fvP0uwl3Q6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP0uwl3Q6A

• Members

"Even though we are talking budget guitars, this is ridiculous..."

Isn't it like a $700 guitar? -Adam

Since i got it in a trade i have no idea what it did cost originally - but i seem to have read that people in the US got theirs for less than 700 USD - and even in expensive Denmark it didn't cost all that much. (A site that still had the guitar up quoted ~900 USD - which definitely is a "budget" Gibson over here)

For a Gibson it seems to me to be a budget guitar.

In any case, budget or not, i have some guitars that are cheaper and some that are more expensive and none of them have had an issue like this.

Sanding the &

• Members

"Even though we are talking budget guitars, this is ridiculous..."

Isn't it like a $700 guitar? -Adam

I seem to recall they were $650 and included a nice case (which would easily cost a hundred to get one that form fitting). And I got mine for a hair less than that with a bit of haggling (only $30 off since there wasn't much margin at all in the deal for the dealers after their handling and shipping costs).

So the guitars themselves were around 5 bills. Pretty damn good deal from Gibson on an artist signature model if you compare that to their more recent Melody Maker offerings. Came with some case candy too.

• Members

makes we want a bb3 for my melody maker... nice tones. which marshall is that by name (not number)?

That is the 30'th anniversary model - 100 W of tube amplification :eek: in a 1x12 combo form.

Not my favourite Marshall (that would be the "silver Jubilee"), but it gets the job done and the preamp "recording out" is a great plus for silent apartment playing/recording.

• Members

I bought a new Faded Gibson SG when they first came out that had the "ridge" problem also. Really pissed me off!

I just gave mine a quick scrape with a pair of scissors - and lo and behold: The offending ridge disappeared (more or less).

Because the ridge was actually the finish, which is soft as hell and now i have a fine line of wood with some chipped paint bordering it which goes nicely with the style of the guitar (and is on the lower side of the neck) :D

I would be pissed off though, if the guitar wasn't reliced in the first place.

jjmm_scrape.jpg

• Members

you know i was gonna suggest it seemed to be just that, because that is how my melody maker and old faded les paul were. they probably line it up and then finish..which honestly makes sense, but leaves that finish-thick ridge

So, what did you do to get rid of the ridge?

I'd still call that unacceptable, definitely sub par workmanship.

I have honestly never felt anything like that on any playable guitar before. Japanese, Indonesian, European, American - whatever...

Just not good enough, especially if you actually like your necks finished.

...then again, personally i don't care - not with that sorry excuse for a finish it has in the first place - and the guitar plays and sounds just fine.

Keeper!

• Members

i just live with it. at 250 bucks that guitar kicks all kind of ass. and i agree it is not right, i think they should just finish the sides of the fretboard maybe? i dont know, it never really bothered me, but i did notice it. i always try many many guitars when hunting and they were still my choices if that means anything. i look for tone first, neck comfort second, and then things like if i like the string spacing, fret size, etc. nut imperfections, finish color and imperfections, etc are so amazingly low on the list that they dont even get factored in. but this is my approach and i know every one has different wants and needs, hence the many different options we get

• Members

i just live with it. at 250 bucks that guitar kicks all kind of ass. and i agree it is not right, i think they should just finish the sides of the fretboard maybe? i dont know, it never really bothered me, but i did notice it. i always try many many guitars when hunting and they were still my choices if that means anything. i look for tone first, neck comfort second, and then things like if i like the string spacing, fret size, etc. nut imperfections, finish color and imperfections, etc are so amazingly low on the list that they dont even get factored in. but this is my approach and i know every one has different wants and needs, hence the many different options we get

Fair enough if it doesn't bother you. :)

And yes, like you i am not particular about details on guitars - most of mine have some issues that others would call flaws, and i happily ignore them, but this one actually interfered with the playing itself.

To me the bottom ridge was annoying after 15 - 30 minutes of playing - the top one doesn't bother me all that much - so for me it was get rid of that or the guitar :D

• Members

and im sure by the way you described it that it must have been more prominent on your guitar, or maybe just more of an interference based on personal style/hands. as long as you got it rocking for you thats all that matters. its a gibson, it shouldnt lose any value or mojo.

• Members

its a gibson, it shouldnt lose any value or mojo.

:D Well, i am not so certain that i would have attempted this scraping-finish-off project on my LP Custom. Then again, that (for some obscure reason) didn't need it :D

But you are right - this particular model will not lose value over this. :)

Archived