Any opinions on Sonuus G2m guitar to midi converter?

Karma1

• Members

I came across this device in a thread here on the forums and was surprised I had never heard of it since I've been into midi guitar for a very long time. I'm currently using a Roland GR33 which I like a lot and I'm not looking to replace it, but I thought it would be cool to be able to get some synth sounds occasionally on my other guitars that are not equipped with a Roland pickup.

I did a Google search on it and there are quite a number of videos about it on youtube. It looks pretty cool, although it is monophonic. But it only costs $99, so not much of an investment. I've got plenty of synth gear I could trigger with it, so no extra expense involved.I also have a guitar with a Sustainiac which could be cool to use with it. Anybody here used one and have anything to say about it?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi Karma, got one of these a couple of weeks ago - does what it says on the box.

As you've already noted it's mono only - I'm using mine for recording synth washes behind my guitar so not a problem for me, I can hand edit in any chords I need.

Great for getting the feel/timing right the first time. Tracking not so good on the low E string but again transposition is a piece of cake in my recording software.

You might find it a big step down if you already have a GR33 though

• Members

Hi Karma, got one of these a couple of weeks ago - does what it says on the box.

As you've already noted it's mono only - I'm using mine for recording synth washes behind my guitar so not a problem for me, I can hand edit in any chords I need.

Great for getting the feel/timing right the first time. Tracking not so good on the low E string but again transposition is a piece of cake in my recording software.

You might find it a big step down if you already have a GR33 though

I second this opinion. You have to pick cleanly to get it to track well, but you're probably already used to that. It's very useful for MIDI recording if you can't play keyboards and don't like the tedium of writing stuff with a mouse.

• Members

Update - the original post was from 2009.

Since then I've bought the G2M, and then about a year ago, bought the updated "new and improved" G2M. Just wanted to say that the version 2 is definitely better than the original, especially for tracking. It works ok for my use, which is mainly for sustained synth pads and textures. One little trick I've come up with to get around it's monophonic limitation and play pseudo-chords is to play a note on a sound that has a long sustain, or use a hold pedal on the synth you are triggering, and while the first note is sustaining, play a second or third note so that they overlap while sustaining and create a chord. This works best for more ambient evolving sounds.

While the G2M does have its limitations and works better for some types of music and playing styles than others, it's a pretty decent device for $99. I did a more extensive review of it a while ago in the Hi-tech guitar forum here on HC.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I have the i2m musicport from Sonuus.

The monotonic midi is not that handy actually... instead I bought a midi keyboard now.

On the other hand... it's a very good interface for usb to record guitar without noise. Does the job perfectly.

Archived