Swimming pool route, why is it bad?

honeyiscool

• Moderators

From a production point of view it's an easier program on the CNC, on a PR level it empowers your customer to use a wide range of pickup configurations, for some it's removal of valuable wood mass, for others it's a sound chamber, although I don't see that as your pickups are interfacing thru the plastic pickguard, which are screwed into the same surrounding wood

I don't like em, cause it smacks of "easy way out" and the extra wood that ended up on the floor of the shop and in the dumpster seems like an affront to wood;)

• Members

Quite frankly, for me, it's an indicator of the time and care that went into the construction of the guitar. I can appreciate the time, care, and attention to detail that goes into removing only the amount of wood necessary to install the electronics.

I can agree with that. But that isn't anything I can really measure. My guitars are my tools. I try not to buy too much into esoterics. It's a tool, not a family pet or a kid.

• Members

... and yet, when Gibson does it to a Les Paul, it's considered blasphemy!

I'm not sure those are comparable. Gibson drill out a design that is meant to be solid whereas the swimmingpool in a strat is just a slight widening of a rout that is already there.

• Members

I'm not sure those are comparable. Gibson drill out a design that is meant to be solid whereas the swimmingpool in a strat is just a slight widening of a rout that is already there.

Slight? lol... If the normal SSS route is 5cui, then the swimming pool route is close to 20cui. That's a LOT more than slight.

Here is my gripe about people that complain about these design change... People gripe when something is different, but I ask: Different than what? All those old Fenders and Gibsons were hand worked and every last one of them is unique. There is no PERFECT copy of a 50s guitar because even 50s guitars were not perfect copies of 50s guitars. The design was a moving target. So even if you find a perfect replica of a 1954 Strat or a 1959 Les Paul, it's still not the same as it was back in the day.

• Members

While in theory I agree with you, I think part of the beauty of a Les Paul is to get that strap at Jimmy Page level and to feel that awesome mass of guitar under you. There's something wrong when there are models of SGs that are heavier than Les Pauls these days.

• Members

Some of the better sounding newer Strats I have played have had it so it doesn't bother me. I believe this was used as a marketing thing back when the new American Strats (not American Standard) came out in 2000 or so. They had to change something I guess.

When I build a Strat I always do the old school routing but they either sound good or they don't, in the grand scheme of things there are bigger things that matter.

• Members

Same for Fender. Bottom line:v most electric guitarists are narrow-focussed and almost autistic when it comes to the "correct" details for a guitar, and most f them are stuck in the fifties. It's pathetic, but there you go.

Archived