Guitar input crackling - replace input jack?

raggydoll

• Members

The input of my strat is crackling when I move the lead (no it's not the lead).

How do you know if changing the input jack would help?

Or could it be the wires?

There doesn't seem to be much that could go wrong with the jack, it's soldered in and the lead makes contact.

What would you guys do?

Solder in a new one?

• Members

Output jack... :lol:

I'd hit it with some contact cleaner before replacing it. That often does the trick. And it doesn't have to be something fancy. Just some of the stuff from Walmart or an auto parts store will suffice.

And of course, be sure the jack itself is tight in the cup.

• Members

Probably just an old solder point. It's pretty hard to break an input jack. About two minutes with the soldering iron and it'll be like new again. If you do have to replace it, no big deal either. How much is a Switchcraft jack, about $8?

• Members

Probably just an old solder point. It's pretty hard to break an input jack. About two minutes with the soldering iron and it'll be like new again. If you do have to replace it, no big deal either. How much is a Switchcraft jack, about $8?

About $3.50... just got a couple from Stew Mac along with a couple tools.

• Members

I had a cracking jack with my latest project, in which I re-used a jack and cup.

It was crackling a bit, esp when a little bit of tension was put on the side of the cable. I hit it with contact cleaner and it helped a little bit, but it was still a bit crackly. I took the cup out of the body and took the jack out of the cup, hit it a bit better with the contact cleaner and adjust the buts so that the jack sat a bit higher in the cup.

Problem solved!

Not sure if it was the contact cleaner or the height adjustment, but it worked.

I've cleaned several jacks and pots on guitars, amps and pedals and usually just the contact cleaner does the trick. Probably just using a bit more cleaner would have worked on this project but I just refinished the body a few days prior so didn't want any of the cleaner running down the body.

• Members

I take a piece of emory clothe or 400 grit sandpaper, roll it up and run it through the jack hole, and then scrub it on the tip, after that spray the thing with a blast of contact cleaner to get the thing clean, and ensure there's adequate pressure on the hot tip on the plug, bend it a little if you have to.

I have NEVER had to replace a dirty jack by doing the above.

• Members

Cool, i'll desodler and clean up the contacts the solder it back in. Hopefully this solves the problem!

Thw whole idea behind cleaning the jack is to avoid desoldering it. If you have to desolder it to clean it, why not just replace it with a new one anyway? As has been pointed out, they're not expensive.

Archived