why dont guitar/amp/pedal cos advertise on TV?

Angry Tele

• Members

Epiphone did some TV spots -- in New York, at least -- maybe two or three years back. Guess they didn't accomplish much.

yeah Im thinking at least local markets, like those cheesey used car guys they have commercials running 24/7.

Especially since Gibson and even Fender ("when you're ready") are selling this Lifestyle angle crap ala Harley Davidson youd think these spots would sell tons of junk.

• Members

They would need to be run during a History Channel or Discovery Channel-type "music gear" program. Just like you only see fishing equipment commercials while watching outdoor-based programming. They still sell a lot of fishing equipment.

Hmmmm, you would think they could run on CMT or VH1. MTV doesn't play music anymore do they?

• Members

Guitar players are only 5% of the population. Better to spend money on more targeted marketing efforts.

When you think about it, 5% is pretty a pretty large percentage - 1 in 20?

thats 15,000,000 people.

way more than 1 in 20. I bet everyone thats ever lived in the US (after 1960) either knows someone that plays guitar or plays themselves. Its kind of like AIDS.

• Members

Pretty sure that 5% is not more than 1 in 20. Not sure if the 5% is in the US or globally, but i trust my source on the 5% figure.

i meant theres more than 5% of people playing guitar but even if it were that low thats still 15 million people. Are there 15 million people looking to buy Pajama Jeans?