Hendrix's vintage psychedelic tone Revealed in old rare photo

bluesguitar65

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I actually think he would have been influenced by McLaughlin, Di Meola, and those guys, and pretty much, like them, by the 80s rolled around,
he'd have gotten sick of guitar fireworks and would probably be playing mostly acoustic blues now

LOL, you mean he would have become like some old Mississippi Delta bluesman? Somehow, I doubt it, I don't think Jimi was that interested in acoustic guitar.

And basically, I think Jimi was a rocker, not a jazzer. And a tinkerer, par excellence. I think he would have loved computers.

• Members

I've seen Jimi's bio on the Biography channel several times, and Noel Redding recounts how Jimi went after a groupie who preferred Noel to Jimi. That pissed Jimi off, and he went after the groupie with a brick :eek:

Who knows, maybe Jimi would have pulled an OJ on some woman, and in th process destroyed his legacy :idk:

W/E Jimi might have done, @ least that didn't happen :facepalm:

• Members

For those mentioned it doesn't appear to have been a one time situation where they pushed the envelope. If it wasn't that time it may have been the next or the time after that. The supports that people with addiction have today didn't exist back then.

Probably a great deal of harsh stuff we don't know about these people beyond the mythology?

• Members

"The supports that people with addiction have today didn't exist back then." True. Look at Michael Jackson.....

Jimi was a genius. When he was on, it was like he was a pipeline to the cosmos. He didn't "play" guitar.... it flowed through him.

I was lucky enough to see him three times. One time he was God. Not a bad batting average.

I think many believe Jimi was on drugs all the time, but I don't. It was no doubt hard to resist. EVERYONE wanted to be able to brag "I got high with Hendrix".

Those were different times.

• Members

There is a list, growingly slowly moldy, n my head of times where I heard something and just stopped and thought " holy {censored}!" play that again. Jimi is on that list innumerable times. Clapton, none. EVH is on it. I don't even place Clapton on the all time greats list. I have NEVER been inspired by him. But that's jst me, and I suck, but I know what good music is. Jimi is mother's milk. Clapton is McDonald's. I can think of 50 players who smoke him AND inspire AND make great music. I am 45, and the song Wind Cries Mary still gives me the chills, everytime. Typing the title raised the hair on my arms. Jimi was special. If he were still alive today, he would still be special, and I would be happy to see and hear him play.

• Members
I've seen Jimi's bio on the Biography channel several times, and Noel Redding recounts how Jimi went after a groupie who preferred Noel to Jimi. That pissed Jimi off, and he went after the groupie with a brick
:eek:

Who knows, maybe Jimi would have pulled an OJ on some woman, and in th process destroyed his legacy
:idk:

W/E Jimi might have done, @ least that didn't happen
:facepalm:

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Redding was one of the biggest barstool bull{censored}ters I've ever known :lol:
Not saying it didn't happen but well, y'know...

• Members

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Redding was one of the biggest barstool bull{censored}ters I've ever known
:lol:
Not saying it didn't happen but well, y'know...

Agreed. It seems to me that Mitch Mitchell's take on those days is more spot on. But it's all speculation when it come to those kind of stories so who knows what the truth is, which applies aptly to this thread as well.

• Members

I always hear people keep saying that Hendrix was going into jazz before he died.... I don't see it that way really. The direction I strongly see him taking was towards a funk-rock (and more soulful RnB) style like Funkadelic and Eddie Hazel. Look at the songs Hendrix was recording before he died, while working on his next album:

Dolly Dagger

Izabella

Stepping Stone

Message to Love

Freedom

Earth Blues

Night Bird Flying

Straight Ahead

etc... So many of his last songs were funk-rock, with some soul/RnB mixed in. In comparison there's not so much showing he was going towards jazz, apart from "talks" with jazz guys like Miles Davis that went nowhere, and maybe a jazzy song like "South Saturn Delta". But the unreleased songs he was working on for his album in 1970, leftover material from BOG and his change in tone/sound all point to me like he was going towards a more Funkadelic sound (I know Funkadelic came after), not jazz.

Maybe he would've gone to jazz at one point because he tended to flirt with the jazz sound every now and then, but I think Jimi was getting more into funk, maybe trying to connect with the black audiences he felt abandoned him, as he tried with BOG.

• Members
I always hear people keep saying that Hendrix was going into jazz before he died.... I don't see it that way really. The direction I strongly see him taking was towards a funk-rock (and more soulful RnB) style like Funkadelic and Eddie Hazel. Look at the songs Hendrix was recording before he died, while working on his next album:

Dolly Dagger

Izabella

Stepping Stone

Message to Love

Freedom

Earth Blues

Night Bird Flying

Straight Ahead

etc... So many of his last songs were funk-rock, with some soul/RnB mixed in. In comparison there's not so much showing he was going towards jazz, apart from "talks" with jazz guys like Miles Davis that went nowhere, and maybe a jazzy song like "South Saturn Delta". But the unreleased songs he was working on for his album in 1970, leftover material from BOG and his change in tone/sound all point to me like he was going towards a more Funkadelic sound (I know Funkadelic came after), not jazz.

Maybe he would've gone to jazz at one point because he tended to flirt with the jazz sound every now and then, but I think Jimi was getting more into funk, maybe trying to connect with the black audiences he felt abandoned him, as he tried with BOG.

agree! If he had lived, he may have tried to colaberate with some of the more popular musicians of the day, including jazz musicians, but he was definitely headed towards a heavier type of r&b and away from psychedelic blues. There was so much going on in the 70s musically, i think he would have attempted all styles of what was going on, and thrived

• Members

^ +1. To all the people mentioning Miles and jazz... yes, he played some music with some jazz sound to it, used "jazz" chords etc. and a lot of jazz artists of the time were listening to his music. From the biographies I've read, he had wanted to play with Miles and I believe through a third party was in talks to work something out. But I believe Miles had let his ego in the way and wanted to take the lead and get paid by the Hendrix camp, which didn't go well. This is all from memory, but I can go dig up the books and quote.

I remember reading about that aspect though, his getting into funk and all. I specifically remember something about how he wanted to appeal to the black audience, as he hadn't done that with most of his music. So blingdogg seems on point to me.

Whatever he would've done, always being a huge fan at heart I'd rather just be optimistic and think he would've kept progressing in his career, or maybe slowing down and stopping. I used to think he'd be a producer as he got older, or maybe manage to guest with people and maybe do a project here and there. I see the logic in him keeping up with the technology, but that's tough to guess about. I don't even care if he would've been a guitar hero for the rest of his life, I imagine it would've been relatively impossible to keep all his fans happy forever. If he managed to stay involved with music even somewhat and go out on a good note, I'd be glad.

Either way, R.I.P. Cool thread, I used to talk about this with friends.

• Members

Jazz in the late 60s and 70s were very much getting interested in blues and funk. Jimi would have dropped right in.

Without listening, I think he could've thrived on a lot of music and I totally agree. But I'm just pointing out a situation that happened with Miles. There's also the whole situation with Alan Douglas, a producer involved with some jazz music as well as Jimi later in his career. I think he encouraged Jimi to open up and try new things, including dabbling in jazz. But he produced a lot of posthumous crap, tinkering way too much, so based on that I hope Jimi wouldn't have pursued a lot of work with him. He was probably the guy who tried to hook him up with Miles.

I love lots of jazz including Miles, and I've read his autobiography. That book had some stories in it that seemed BS, and I remember Miles had interest in playing with Jimi and all but not much else from his perspective. I'm sure he put a spin on it.

Jimi was a spectacular player and showed interest in jazz, but a lot of the players on Miles' level were trained and formally educated musicians. I don't want to generalize and I'm sure something could've worked out, but I think Jimi's lack of reading skills and formal training would have been a big hindrance. He was branching out in different directions, but I think it was mostly a funk and R&B vibe. Tough to say now as genres blend together a lot, and you're right about where jazz was going at that time.

• Members

While I somewhat agree with you, I think that was exactly around the time, late 60s and early 70s, when what Miles was doing would have been perfect for a player like Jimi. He was largely doing very simple progressions, often staying on one chord for minutes at a time, drawing more on grooves and feel. John McLaughlin did not exactly sound like Mahavishnu when he played on those few early 70s records, he actually sounded a lot like he was channeling Jimi.

Sure, Jimi couldn't read sheet, but he'd played on plenty of sessions, so it's not like he required a lot of time to learn a new jam. Anything that Miles would have wanted him to play, along the lines of we comp on so and so chord and just feel each other out, Jimi would have thrived under such a setting. That's just my gut feeling. Miles was working with musicians who weren't really true jazz musicians at that time, and it shows. The bass player on that song I posted is a more of a traditional R&B player, and it shows, and he really carries the groove. It would have been lovely to hear what players like Jimi and John would have been like had they had each other in the same room.

Of course, any time outside of that narrow 3-4 year window, Jimi could not have worked with Miles Davis because there would have been too much clashing going on.

• Members

I agree entirely there. As much as I love Miles, he really went off the deep end as he got older, in my opinion. He might be to jazz what Jimi is to guitar for me, in that I see them as the epitome of their craft in a way, they're a few of my favorite players, innovators in what they did etc. He had a much longer career and I think he was trying to stay new and fresh, but it was all wrong, again IMHO. I'll admit, I haven't listened an awful lot to Miles during that time period. I've listened to In a Silent Way a lot and don't jive with it very well, but I've wanted to try stuff like Bitches Brew, and the Jack Johnson album came right after that!

• Members

Well I actually like most of Miles' music even well into the 80s, it just becomes more hit and miss over time, but he was still an innovator and an excellent musician to the end of his days, but I think some of that has to do with the somewhat more fundamental incompatible difficulties with, say, hip hop, and jazz. I think he did a great job blending jazz with rock, funk, and blues.

• Members

Clearly, Hendrix would have become a punk, cut his hair and would have ousted Steve Jones as main guitarist for the Sex Pistols. Then he would have married someone who produces packaged ready-meal recipes, divorced that person, appeared on Big Brother, and I'm A Celebrity Get me Out of Here, put on a huge amount of weight... then he would have made a come-back, and appeared on 'Later' with Jools Holland for the release of his new album of Ukrainian folk played on a hurdy gurdy, jammed with a celtic rockabilly outfit, and would make some money on the side acting in tv ads for car insurance.

Now that is FACT, and not just my opinion.