bluesguitar65

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

:facepalm:
:facepalm:

I bet if Jimi was alive he'd be using some form of modeler.

He'd be using modeling amps, modeling guitars, digital effects, MIDI, Floyd Roses, self-tuning robot guitars, and every other bit of innovative musical technology that cranky Hendrix traditionalists have been complaining about for the last 40 years.

And he'd be on Twitter.

• Members

He'd be using modeling amps, modeling guitars, digital effects, MIDI, Floyd Roses, self-tuning robot guitars, and every other bit of innovative musical technology that cranky Hendrix traditionalists have been complaining about for the last 40 years.

And he'd be on Twitter.

As much as i like Hendrix, no.

He'd be doing the exact same thing as his comtemporaries, namely playing the same notes over and over until the cows went home from being bored to death.

And his tweets would be written by his record labels marketing people.

• Members

And he'd be on Twitter.

In a perfect scenario where he continued to perform at the top of his game, sure. A more real world scenario would be that like most others he'd be set in his ways by middle age and would perfer to stay within his comfort zone. If the drugs didn't fry his brain first that is. But the thought of Hendrix with say, a Parker Fly, a Line 6 amp and a TC multiefect board is a thrilling one

• Members

^^^

Unlike JB or Carlos ... he was also a singer and songwriter. Even in the mere four years he was around, he amassed a serious catalogue of wonderful songs ... and songwriters always last.

I know it's blasphemy to say anything remotely bad about Hendrix, but I would disagree. Clapton is a singer/songwriter as well, he's from the same era, and he hasn't written anything of substance in years. He has continued to recycle his past hits with whatever flavor of the month phenom is hot at the moment. The only singer/songwriter/guitarist I can think of from that era that has even remotely remained relevant (writing new material that people want to hear) has been Neil Young, and that may be a stretch.

It's hard for any performer to continue to be relevant for very long. I don't think a living breathing Hendrix in 2012 would be any different.

• Members

And he'd be on Twitter.

I like to think so.

My "what if..." on Jimi has him sleeping on his front that fateful night, so he doesn't choke on his own spew. He runs away from the world and hides, hating the rock and roll cliche in which he has been trapped, only to emerge afresh in 1977, re-energised and enthused by the sheer passion of punk rock. He gives many interviews in which he extols the virtues of this "new" movement taking rock back to its roots, draws a link between the spirit of punk and the blues. The old farts hate him for it, but he gathers a whole new generation of fans. He drops from the mainstream throughout the 80s, hating the stupid, macho cliche bull{censored}. Reappears as an Elder Statesman figure in the grunge era. In March 1994, he persuades Kurt Cobain into rehab. They later record an album of co-written material. On the first night of their tour, a handful of old farts from the Sixties show up to shout "Judas!" at Jimi. Jimi snorts derisively at them and says "Please, brother..... I'm a musician, not a history exhibit".

End.

Ha......

Jimi was experimenting with studio trickery to the full, one of the first to use f/x boxes, the works. You better believe he'd have used everything available to him by now.

Of course, we could also be making a grave error in even assuming Jimi would still be playing guitar - whose to say he wouldn't have moved on to compose entirely with computer sampling and such like? I like to believe, at least, he'd be one hell of a lot more open-minded than most guitar players are today.

• Members

I know it's blasphemy to say anything remotely bad about Hendrix, but I would disagree. Clapton is a singer/songwriter as well, he's from the same era, and he hasn't written anything of substance in years. He has continued to recycle his past hits with whatever flavor of the month phenom is hot at the moment. The only singer/songwriter/guitarist I can think of from that era that has even remotely remained relevant (writing new material that people want to hear) has been Neil Young, and that may be a stretch.

It's hard for any performer to continue to be relevant for very long. I don't think a living breathing Hendrix in 2012 would be any different.

Hendrix and Clapton are often put forward as being comparable artists, basically due to being from the same era and both being guitarist/singer/songwriters.

It's easy to look at what Clapton did and say that Hendrix would have been the same, but I don't think that's the way it would have went.

Hendrix was much more of an innovator - a musical pioneer - than Clapton. Hendrix pushed at boundaries whilst Clapton did his musical exploits within set parameters - parameters that he never chose to go beyond. A lot has been written about why that happened. Duane Allman's death, drug addiction ... whatever the reason is - it defined Clapton as a person, and in doing so it defined his musical exploration and limited it.

I think Hendrix had no limitations and would have set the tone for the rock music scene in the early 70's and carried on from there.

• Members

David Gilmour's "On An Island" blew up in England on the charts and I feel it was an excellent album. He's from the same era.

• Members

Hendrix is alive. After the successful faking of his death he took some time to gather himself and eventually he started doing consulting for guitar companies. He is responsible for the great leaps in gear tonal nirvana achieved by Behringer, Rouge, Estaban, and others. He also invented disco and the internet.

• Members

Hendrix is alive. After the successful faking of his death he took some time to gather himself and eventually he started doing consulting for guitar companies. He is responsible for the great leaps in gear tonal nirvana achieved by Behringer, Rouge, Estaban, and others. He also invented disco and the internet.

I met him in Binghampton, NY at a Metal show! :D

• Members

I like to think so.

My "what if..." on Jimi has him sleeping on his front that fateful night, so he doesn't choke on his own spew. He runs away from the world and hides, hating the rock and roll cliche in which he has been trapped, only to emerge afresh in 1977, re-energised and enthused by the sheer passion of punk rock. He gives many interviews in which he extols the virtues of this "new" movement taking rock back to its roots, draws a link between the spirit of punk and the blues. The old farts hate him for it, but he gathers a whole new generation of fans. He drops from the mainstream throughout the 80s, hating the stupid, macho cliche bull{censored}. Reappears as an Elder Statesman figure in the grunge era. In March 1994, he persuades Kurt Cobain into rehab. They later record an album of co-written material. On the first night of their tour, a handful of old farts from the Sixties show up to shout "Judas!" at Jimi. Jimi snorts derisively at them and says "Please, brother..... I'm a musician, not a history exhibit".

End.

Ha......

Jimi was experimenting with studio trickery to the full, one of the first to use f/x boxes, the works. You better believe he'd have used everything available to him by now.

Of course, we could also be making a grave error in even assuming Jimi would still be playing guitar - whose to say he wouldn't have moved on to compose entirely with computer sampling and such like? I like to believe, at least, he'd be one hell of a lot more open-minded than most guitar players are today.

What if...

Aliens took him and brought every influential person back to the most important time in human history.

[video=youtube;7b6Ff9Qm2FU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b6Ff9Qm2FU

• Members

Hear those goalposts move ... I was responding to a comparison of Hendrix with Jeff Beck and Carlos Santana ... not with Clapton ... who, incidentally, has written fewer songs in his entire long life than Jimi did in four years.

• Members

Clapton is, was, and always will be about half the musician Hendrix was with about a third of the creativity. Hendrix literally defined what we do on guitar to this day. Clapton was basically a guy who played blues when it got popular again and now plays basically elevator music. I love Cream but not because of what Clapton did.

As for musicians around that era doing relevent stuff now Tony Iommi/BlackSabbath comes to mind with Heaven and Hell which was a fantastic cd/band for the short time it was around.