Which color/model of Cobain Mustang do you like?

Armchair Bronco

• Members

So, you find a gift card on the street for a new Fender Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature Series guitar.

If you hate Cobain, fair enough: you'll just sell the guitar. If you like him, you'll have a nice new short-scale axe to add to your collection.

What color combo do you buy? I'll take the Sonic Blue model.

Sonic Blue

0251400572_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Fiesta Red

0251400540_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Dark Lake Placid Blue

0251401502_frt_wlg_001.jpg

• Members

To raise money for one, I'd have to sell my Gibson SG Classic. The SG Classic is a work of art; the Fender Mustang is *NOT*.

But I've never bonded with the beefy neck on my SG. I'm a short-scale guy and a Nirvana fan, and this Cobain Signature Mustang would pair up nicely with my Classic Player Jaguar Special HH.

bigsby.png

By armchairbronco at 2010-04-12

• Members

Sonic blue for me, but I'm not a fan of HBs in general, much less on Fenders. Make it a "real" Mustang, in baby blue w/maple FB, for me.

Without racing stripes. Racing stripes give me hives.

It's funny, you say you want a "real" Mustang but you're talking about a maple FB.

"Real" Mustangs are available right now. The '65 RI is a wonderful guitar, and there are '69 RI for those who prefer contours.

• Members

Around 1977-78 when I was first starting to want to play enough to save up money and start hitting up the parents, my dad took me shopping for a guitar. They had a dark lake placid blue Mustang in the shop with the competition stripes and pearloid guard just like the one in the pic above. Not sure what year it was. I knew Keith Richards played a Fender Tele, so I was hopped up that I might be able to get a Fender too. Plus, that guitar just looked so hot to me. As I recall it was about $200 or $250 they were asking for it, but I can't be sure of the price after all these years.

Of course, I didn't get the Mustang. Years later I had an old Mustang bass, but it just wasn't the same.

• Members

So, you find a gift card on the street for a new Fender Kurt Cobain Mustang Signature Series guitar.

If you hate Cobain, fair enough: you'll just sell the guitar. If you like him, you'll have a nice new short-scale axe to add to your collection.

What color combo do you buy? I'll take the Sonic Blue model.

Sonic Blue

0251400572_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Fiesta Red

0251400540_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Dark Lake Placid Blue

0251401502_frt_wlg_001.jpg

For me, none of those but if it's free I do know how to refinish so if I didn't resell it right away, it would get a colour change.

• Members

Sell it to meeeeee. Seriously. I love Bigsbys, P90s and binding, great combo.

To raise money for one, I'd have to sell my Gibson SG Classic. The SG Classic is a work of art; the Fender Mustang is *NOT*.

But I've never bonded with the beefy neck on my SG. I'm a short-scale guy and a Nirvana fan, and this Cobain Signature Mustang would pair up nicely with my Classic Player Jaguar Special HH.

bigsby.png
By
armchairbronco
at 2010-04-12

• Members

It's funny, you say you want a "real" Mustang but you're talking about a maple FB.

"Real" Mustangs are available right now. The '65 RI is a wonderful guitar, and there are '69 RI for those who prefer contours.

Yeah, the quotation marks don't hide a poor choice in words on my part, do they? I was referring to the SS configuration of traditional Mustangs. Outside of that and the general body shape, I'm not much of a traditionalist when it comes to Mustangs.

My preferences:

Mustang69RIyellow.jpg

69RI in yellow. Swap in a maple FB and parchment PG: :love:

Mustang65RIblue.jpg

65RI in daphne blue. Swap in a maple FB and parchment pup covers: :love:

Partial to maple FBs, but do like some of the darker finishes in combination with RW FBs; example:

Mustang69RIblue.jpg

69RI in Dark Lake Placid Blue (in appearance, if not in name). Wouldn't change a thing on that one. :love:

Well, OK, not a fan of the stock pups; I've borrowed Mustangs with Laces and Kinmans, I'd make that change right off the bat.

Better stop, the GAS is getting intense. Someday I'll own one, and it will be sweet. But the cost of the guitar plus pup swap (and maybe FB, PG, etc) keeps me at bay for now.

• Members

Sonic blue for me, but I'm not a fan of HBs in general, much less on Fenders. Make it a "real" Mustang, in baby blue w/maple FB, for me.

Without racing stripes. Racing stripes give me hives.

I'd much rather have two singles too - though all other things being fine I'd buy one with an HB in the bridge and switch it out for a HB sized p90 or something else I liked.

Did the Mustang ever actually come with a maple board? That would be my preference too, but I thought only the 50s Duosonic, which predated the Mustang, came with maple, the Mustang always rosewood?

Archived