No stage amps allowed?!

Marko

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

my 4x12 is not an amp, so im cool with that. i'm fine with having my amp off stage - prolly would just need a longer speaker cable but that is doable.

:D

seriously though, no amps on stage is not very rock and roll but whatever floats your boat. i can see where they are coming from maybe with stage volume, volume wars, etc. but my experience with a modeller through a monitor sounds like garbage. would you still plan use an amp but just have it offstage?

• Members

Guys in their 50s, classic rock type stuff.

No rooms off stage for an amp, just whatever processing that can be done, and a good wedge.

Leader would supply additional processing if it helped.

edit: "Quality" wedge, powered. Even a wedge-shaped closed back guitar amp would be doable if they's such a thing, but a wedge, and not in back facing the front.

• Members

I'd like to give that a try to be honest! Heck, I'd like to take it a step further and have everyone use IEM's. Think about load in and load out with such a system!

IEMs are doable for whoever wants one. So far nobody else does.

A lead guitarist is the last left to call, not by plan, it just worked out that way as we knew the others to call already.

• Members

More input needed...

Could I use an amp that went direct to the board without using a speaker cab, such as a Marshall JMD-1, and foot toys to get my sounds, or would I need an Ax-FX type unit?

While what you are describing sounds modern, it also sounds restrictive in nature, and could be costly if you do not have the gear already.

Need more questions answered before deciding.

• Members

More input needed...

Could I use an amp that went direct to the board without using a speaker cab, such as a Marshall JMD-1, and foot toys to get my sounds?

Absolutely... I should have stated no "cab", my bad...

I edited my OP, thanks.

• Members

I did a pick up gig recently in a small bar. Guitar to processor to P.A. I was able to get a tone I liked. The band leader even sez he'll provide your choice of processors? This is a no brainer! If you ain't doin dis you be a fool. Don't let the old farts tell you any different. Less gear to move, quicker set up, more room on stage, what's not to like?

"Oh ya gotta haz an amp!!" {censored} you ya dinosaur.

• Members

I've never played in a situation like this, but I've mixed a BUNCH of bands that do it this way live. I generally think it's pretty crappy. While the opposite (overly loud, blaring half stacks) is equally or even more {censored}ty sounding, having no amps on stage takes a lot of the live engergy away from the stage show, IMO. Often these bands will also use electronic drums to make for an almost completely silent stage. It makes the mix sound really contrived and as cephus put it above, "flat" sounding. It also can screw with the image depending on where the PA speakers are placed. If you're standing in front of the stage and you can hear drums and vocals coming off the stage, but the guitar sounds are coming from speakers placed far to the left and right it's distracting, and often disconcerting.

Also, you're putting a lot of faith in the PA system (and it's operator) to carry all that weight. Instead of reinforcing your sound, it's doing all the work.

So, based on my experiences, I wouldn't take the gig.

• Members

Sounds amazing!!!

The problem with amps on stage is everyone is cranking them up. They bleed into FOH and become unmixable. You get into volume wars on stage. Small stage, 4x12 cab pointed at the back of your legs, blasting out the audience... Not a good scene.

Less equipment to set up is great too. As for some people who have to hear themselves through a guitar cab, not a PA cab - guess how nearly everyone in the audience is hearing your tone? Through the PA speakers.

I love this idea - and the only thing I might change if you can't get your tone through a DI is to buy an isolation box instead. (enclosed speaker box with mic inside, no sound projects out from the box).

Theres some AMAZING digital amps out there now that sound just as good as the real thing too.

• Members

After giving it some thought and knowing myself like I do, I'd probably be willing to try it since I'm a gig whore and if it's a chance to make money playing guitar, I'd at least give it a try, but I wouldn't be too happy about it, at least not a first. Personally I like the interaction between me, my guitar, and my amp.

And I know that as an audience member I'd find it a little odd to see a band up there with no amps. For me it's as much visual as auditory and I'd feel like I was watching an 80s style track band.

I know that technology has its place and its uses but I don't know about a 100% modeled "live" band.