What is the best music notation software?

JamesGV

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbognar

View Post

Aaahh, not so fast, I was kind of hoping Roland would buy Finale, and put a subset of the functionality into Sonar..

If Roland bought Finale, they'd turn it into an awesome program, but produce such incomprehensible manuals that no one would ever figure out how to use it idn_smilie.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
that's another good point, but I was actually making a more fundamental point - that the software suffers because the companies themselves aren't strong.

whatever money the companies make from notation software, it's not enough to pay for developing, debugging, and updating it properly.
You about Sibelius? I think it was AVID's mistake.
The decision dismissing developers undermines the credibility of the Sibelius.
There is any news about Sibelius development?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
After reading this thread, it confirms some of my initial thoughts about Finale which I`ve been using sporadically for about a year now and that is that its poorly written software. There are a lot of quirky things the program does which leave me completely shaking my head at times. Granted, no software is perfect but there are "features" in Finale that have me wondering who in the world would use them. For example, I don`t need 240 different fonts... just give me three options: the maestro font, the jazz font and the handwritten font. I don`t need the other junk. Then there are these endless options... lets just cut the nonsense and get to it.

Some of its also the learning curve, which I`m pretty impatient to sit there and go through the tutorials which thankfully there is plenty of. I`ve been pretty good about it, I have watched and read a lot of it but theres just so darn much info to learn, I feel like I should get a degree when I actually learn all of it.
I really don't know who needs 240 fonts. If this is correct may be Finale trying to make you dizzy from the numbers, and make you bying it like "coolest" tool?

I think Finale powerful software,but even in its basic concepts already have inaccuracies. This flaws are multiplying - it complicates the use of the Finale.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
JamesGV,

I apologize for the rant... I never answered your questions...

1. Finale 2012
2. It`ll be a year this January
3. Most to notate my own Church compositions
4. Truthfully, I`m still trying to like the product. I know there are other options out there and I did my homework before investing in Finale. Finale seemed to be the most professional from the crop. Also, some musicians and composers I highly respect use it so that pretty much sealed the deal. I really dislike all the crazy amount of options in Finale. I also dislike all the buttons and floating windows. I`m more of a keep everything in one window and within arms reach type of guy. Searching for features in windows and drop downs is just way too much. Granted, all software these days is like this but when it comes time to notate, I don`t want to have to search for 5 minutes to try to insert an upbeat measure at the beginning of the piece.

Also, the playback feature in Finale is archaic. Honestly, I hate to say this because its overly generalizing but Finale is a bit PC oriented for me. I think an Apple developer needs to come in and do it right. Just my $0.02
Thank you for detailed answer. About options I agree. About windows and drop-downs I understand you. But how can notation software supports needs of huge number of musicians and be simple to use?

• Members
one of the problems with Finale (and Sibelius I guess) is that they try to be all things to all people. And the coding just isn't elegant. So they wind up being Franken-programs, just constantly adding features and modules without ever neatening things up.

So they get bloated and quirky and inconsistent.

It would be nice if Finale had a lot of money and could rewrite its {censored} from scratch.
I think you are right. Due to MakeMusic reports and NASDAQ infor Finale doesn't has a lot of money.
Where a solution could be?

• Members
I hoped for that, especially after Avid bought Sibelius... thinking Apple might be motivated by a "music software arms race."

And it would be GREAT to integrate Finale with Logic.

At this point, however, it just doesn't seem like there's all that motivation for Apple to buy Finale. Apple wouldn't get that much for its money, and it would come with a lot of headaches.

I think the problem is that music notation software costs more money to do right than it can possibly make with its niche customer base.

On a gut level, both Finale and Sibelius seem like they've stalled out.

Maybe some Paul Allen gazillionaire with a soft spot for music will infuse one of these companies with the millions it needs to develop the next generation notation software. idn_smilie.gif
If finale and Sibelius are stalled out where solution is?
How next generation of music notation software have looks and works like?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbognar

View Post

Aaahh, not so fast, I was kind of hoping Roland would buy Finale, and put a subset of the functionality into Sonar..

There is an information that Roland interested in music notation software buying?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JamesGV View Post
I think you are right. Due to MakeMusic reports and NASDAQ infor Finale doesn't has a lot of money.
Where a solution could be?
I don't know idn_smilie.gif

If finale and Sibelius are stalled out where solution is?
How next generation of music notation software have looks and works like?
that's really not at the level of Finale or Sibelius - they still look better than that.

I used Finale the other day, and as much as I bitched about it in this thread, it's still an amazing program that lets you get your work done idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Hey James you should have 3 post nikitema, or someone like him.....also with a face totally concealed by shadow in his avatar pic...... jump back in...... and say how he/she uses Maestro Composer also and how great it is. I mean really.....how dumb does someone have to be, to not get that you are spamming? I will give you that you are going to a lot more effort than most. A for effort.

• Members

Some people wish find bad in everything. This trend was without me for a month or even more so I wrote many answers in 1 day.

By the way MagicScore Maestro 6 got 1-st place from and gold award Toptenreviews.com (most popular due to Google independent review)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=musi...re&hl=en&pws=0

Now MagicScore Maestro 7 occupies the 3-rd place after products from Sibelius and Finale particulary counting its price - $79.95 (before New Year you can find coupons with $30 off)

http://music-notation-software-revie...enreviews.com/

Maestro Composer has more possibilities but now MagicScore Maestro has more recent release.

I don't pretend that this software better than Sibelius of Finale but theis price also 6-10 times less.

I think now is the good time to explain my opinion about this topic.

Before Sibelius 7, Finale was better after Sibelius 7 release up to me Sibelius was better. But Avid made a huge mistake, so now it will be big mistake to bet on Sibelius. From other side for a long time were not important changes (except pink panles wink.gif) in FInale. As explained other musicians there is a problem with support for Finale and Sibelius. But these software are the leaders for now.

• Members
Some people wish find bad in everything. This trend was without me for a month or even more so I wrote many answers in 1 day.

By the way MagicScore Maestro 6 got 1-st place from and gold award Toptenreviews.com (most popular due to Google independent review)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=musi...re&hl=en&pws=0

Now MagicScore Maestro 7 occupies the 3-rd place after products from Sibelius and Finale particulary counting its price - $79.95 (before New Year you can find coupons with $30 off)

http://music-notation-software-revie...enreviews.com/

Maestro Composer has more possibilities but now MagicScore Maestro has more recent release.

I don't pretend that this software better than Sibelius of Finale but theis price also 6-10 times less.

I think now is the good time to explain my opinion about this topic.

Before Sibelius 7, Finale was better after Sibelius 7 release up to me Sibelius was better. But Avid made a huge mistake, so now it will be big mistake to bet on Sibelius. From other side for a long time were not important changes (except pink panles wink.gif) in FInale. As explained other musicians there is a problem with support for Finale and Sibelius. But these software are the leaders for now.
you work for this company?

• Members

finale and sibelius are both pretty capable programs, and both are a PITA to use properly. my wife and her partner are pros, with around 50 published works through 3 differnt publishers, and from that standpoint, finale seems to be more accepted in the publishing world. if you are only interested in documenting your work, rather than publishing, there are cheaper, easier alternatives to use. i started out using Dr T's Quickscore, then musicator, then finale.

• Members

finale and sibelius are both pretty capable programs, and both are a PITA to use properly. my wife and her partner are pros, with around 50 published works through 3 differnt publishers, and from that standpoint, finale seems to be more accepted in the publishing world. if you are only interested in documenting your work, rather than publishing, there are cheaper, easier alternatives to use. i started out using Dr T's Quickscore, then musicator, then finale.

• Members

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it. www.sonicscores.com

I've never changed to anything else, because I never wanted to spend the time learning something new, and, I guess, because I don't use it every day, or even every week - I treat audio production and visual chart production as separate tasks, and like to use different tools for each.

So I can do pretty-well everything I want in Overture, including professional work for TV live-to-air bands. It's not perfect, requires some massaging, and improvements are notoriously slow, since it is largely a one-person programming situation. But it works. Music notation is such a complex thing that it's a wonder that any software exists at all. Finding the perfect application I fear will be a dream for a long, long time.

With recent movements at Sibelius, I'm glad I didn't go down that path.

But, those programmers have recently been signed to Steinberg, so I hear. Anyone heard any more news on that front?

• Members

I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it. www.sonicscores.com

I've never changed to anything else, because I never wanted to spend the time learning something new, and, I guess, because I don't use it every day, or even every week - I treat audio production and visual chart production as separate tasks, and like to use different tools for each.

So I can do pretty-well everything I want in Overture, including professional work for TV live-to-air bands. It's not perfect, requires some massaging, and improvements are notoriously slow, since it is largely a one-person programming situation. But it works. Music notation is such a complex thing that it's a wonder that any software exists at all. Finding the perfect application I fear will be a dream for a long, long time.

But, those programmers have recently been signed to Steinberg, so I hear. Anyone heard any more news on that front?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

jjjggg wrote:

I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it.

I don't.

If overture is slow. If you invest  time to learn faster software you can economize time. This more important than money.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I wrote a message, but the thing keeps coming back to tell me to "correct the highlighted errors" of which NONE are shown.

Also a note that "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters

Sorry.......way too much trouble to have to go to.......doesn't appear to have even a character counter to tell you where you commence to exceed the limit.

Poppa

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Quick Score Elite Level 2, every time. Try out the demo version and you'll see why. It's fully intuitive, it doesn't come with any FX but can hold any VST/FX DLL going (just about - there's a few big ones that are too much for it but it's darned good!) and you can edit/change/revise without having to hunt through menus. Only downside is there's only holes for 8 VSTs (Why, Chris Sion!?!-it's Sionsoft software - ) and you can only put effects on the FRONT END of a VST so it's one VST one sound even if the VST is multitimbral.

I've put a question in another part of Harmony Central forum asking for help with MIDI-Yoking QSE to DAWs - if I get an answer and help I'll be able to link to it from here so anyone who uses notation can see how to wire it up to a DAW. This will enable you to mix as you go along, like I do, so youi can hear how each part of a piece will sound in the finished version.

I know people SAY there's 3 parts to creating a track - writing it, mixing it and mastering it - but I don't see why the last two shouldn't be amalgamated to makiing it into 2 parts - Writing it and Making it Sound Nice! Because if you mix it withouit the mastering software on, you've always got to redo all the mixing software settings when you hit the mastering software anyway because all the sound levels change (unless that's just me because I'm a noooob still!)

Yours respectfully

Chris.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I subscribed to Avid Sibelius 8.5.1, but it refuses to stay activated. I have slow internet, and the software never works without a bunch of effort including finding the right instructions, tracking down ID and activation numbers, deleting a Sibelius directory in Program Files, empty the recycle bin, and on and on...

I'm done with Avid: worse licensing scheme than Adobe if that is possible. Time to cut losses and find a working solution. DON'T buy Sibelius if you don't have a rock solid internet connection.

I just want reasonably powerful notation software with playback that has output that will be accepted by professional music publishers. Any suggestions?

Archived