Guitars you *almost* pulled the trigger on

slushpup96

• Members

I'll start.

Last year, I had sold off a lot of stuff and didn't know what to do with the money. Among things I almost bought - a blue Ric 620, a pre-peavey Budda Superdrive, the one I'll mention here is an Ovation Viper III.

It fascinated me for a while. I don't even know why, it's such a weird thing for me to like. What reminded me was seeing one on ebay today.

Here's a pic of one:

1970's%20Ovation%20Viper%20III%20Scott%2

• Members

Kramer USA Holoflash. My first real "want it" guitar. Had the Floyd Rose Sustainer pickup. Sat forever at the local music store. I do know who owns it though...

Fender Custom Shop Special (or some name like that). I had just bought my Jeff Beck 2 months earlier. I played it for at least an hour. Then I went home to my Jeff Beck strat and never thought about it again until I saw this thread.

a Yellow Fender Strat with matching headstock. I thought a lot about it. Would have been great next to my Surf Green JB. But then I would HAVE to own a red strat too...

Parker Nightfly original with DiMarzio pickups. It sold before I had the funds.

Gretsch Elliot Easton. I was there when it was being bought in at a local GC. It was gone by 1pm the next day.

PRS DGT for $1500. Got a Custom 24 Artist 20th Ann instead.

I believe I have bought every other [electric] guitar I have wanted.

• Members

A BC Rich STI USA Custom on Ebay this week. I was the highest bidder up until the last 30 seconds and almost won it for $300. But I am not a fan of Strats, so I would have flipped it anyway.

Almost bought an Ibanez doubleneck before I pulled the trigger on my Bich. So glad I changed my mind and went for choice over nostalgia. I don't really want to limit myself to the late 60's with my gear...I much prefer to limit myself to the late80's. :D

• Members

I almost bought an evh frankenstein for 7k. its a beautiful yet ugly guitar at same time. cool in person. even with that discount (down from 25k) i couldn't talk myself into it.

almost bought a Gibson black widow les Paul. badass looking instrument. when i went back a week later it was gone .

• Members

When I started playing again a few years ago, my first guitar was almost a PRS SE Standard. But I never settled on a color I liked (yet, there were only 3 choices: black, walnut and cherry), and by the time I was ready to buy, PRS pulled the SE Standard off the market. Now SE Standards with a trem are pretty scarce, and my gas has since moved on to CE 24s. Even the SE Customs, which are nice, haven't fully revived my interest in the line.

I also wanted a MIM Strat with a Floyd for awhile, and I bid on a number of them on eBay. But I thought the winning prices were too high and I hedged on raising my bids. I probably should have gotten one when I had the chance. Now it's hard to find a used one under $400. But I'm pretty much past it anyway.

My brother's ex-gf has a Danelectro DC 59 in sage green, and that's a really fun guitar. After I played it, I wanted one for a year or more, but I never saw one for a price I liked, and I passed. IMO the market for that guitar is currently overvalued. I still pull up my saved search on eBay on occasion to look for a nice surprise.

I also came damn close to getting a Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin. What a gorgeous guitar that is, but so far I'm glad I haven't given in to temptation. Used prices for them have come down the last couple of years.