Technical Question on changing strings on Gibsons from .010 to .009

patrickgibson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What do you think music is? At its most fundamental level, it's all math, dude.

Oh I realize that,I'm just more of a old school doer I guess.

If I wanted to try a new gauge of strings I'd just slap 'em on and go from there .

One step down (or up) in string size isn't going to cause too big of an issue .

• Members

If I wanted to try a new gauge of strings I'd just slap 'em on and go from there .

Very true. :thu:

• Members

You are probably right. I think I will try the .009 on my LP Double cut. I am usually conservative and keep things at the factory level.

I realized I once bought .010 E to the low string E .052, instead of the standard .046 low string. I mistakenly placed these strings on my SG. When I played the bass strings for distorted chords the notes sounded clear and not as distorted at the lower gauge. I changed back to the standard .010 to .046 because they felt comfortable. I had not realized what I bought and the intonatation seemed pretty close.

On my SG, I like the thinness of how the notes sound as compared to my classic LP. I know Tony Iommi uses these guages live on his SG.

For the D# tuning,

.008p, .008p, .011p, .018w, .024w, .032w.

For the C# tuning,

.009p, .010p, .012p, .020w, .032w, .042w.

and Malmsteen uses gauge .008.

As for restringing, it takes me 30 to 45 minutes on Gibsons. Why? Because I have to be careful about taking the strings off to prevent pinging and dinging. The Gibson necks and entire body are sensitive to easy dings. I do not even use a guitar winder because it can ding my neck. I have made mistakes and fortunately I have a guitar luthier who helps make these marks not noticeable. He has even fixed chips.

As for my Fender Strat '62 model, I can replace the strings within 10-15 minutes without having to worry about dings and pings from the strings.

• Members

I honestly don't understand how that's even possible. I've changed all 18 strings on an SG doubleneck in half that time with no damage to the instrument.

You are probably more coordinated and not a clutz like I am. Besides I try to have the bass strings wrap 4 times around the tuner.

• Members

Now that's a bad idea. Fewer the wraps, the better. Also, you probably don't have a string winder. Also use a capo.

I do have a winder as mentioned above. My guitar luthier told me do not feel bad, he has made the same mistake of dinging the neck with one. I will try the capo next time.

I will try 3 next time. Did you know BB King does not cut his string and wraps the entire string over the winder?

• Members

You are probably more coordinated and not a clutz like I am.

Anybody coordinated enough to play guitar is coordinated enough to change strings in well under 30 minutes without damaging the guitar.

Next time you talk to your luthier ask him to show you how to change strings the right way and set intonation. Then find out what kind of beer he likes and buy him a case of it.

• Members

Anybody coordinated enough to play guitar is coordinated enough to change strings in well under 30 minutes without damaging the guitar.

Next time you talk to your luthier ask him to show you how to change strings the right way and set intonation. Then find out what kind of beer he likes and buy him a case of it.

Actually, I have no problem changing strings with Fender, G&L, LTD and Gibsons with Mini-Grover tuners tuners under 30 minutes without damage. The Grover Kluson tuners is the one I stumble on. I thinks part of the issue is I overwrap the stings too much which delays time. I will try less wrapping. At least I never injured my eye with the string like somebody I knew. I was able to correct the intonation on my SG by myself.

• Members

It will probably be fine with no adjustment unless your neck is dead straight. Might need to be intonated but might not.

This is the only correct answer. Nobody can say for sure even after looking at the guitar and especially not over the interwebz

• Members

You only need 1 1/2 wraps, at most. You'll have better tuning if you can minimize the wraps. I can string my Kluson splits with 1/2 a turn and most other tuners with maybe 3/4 of a turn.

Thanks for your help. I will take your advice and I would like to thank those who provided the Bill Baker video, advice and help.

Bill Baker's winder looks like it has padding unlike my clunky plastic one. I noticed he uses nut lube. Does anybody know what to request in terms of a brand like at a Home Depot store? After seeing this video, I will definitely be changing my methods.

• Members

You are probably more coordinated and not a clutz like I am. Besides I try to have the bass strings wrap 4 times around the tuner.

Over kill. 1.5 on 3-6 is plenty. The unwound strings need 3 or more. Less if you wrap over and under.

Archived