Technical Question on changing strings on Gibsons from .010 to .009

patrickgibson

• Members

I was considering changing my strings on my SG, Flying V and Les Paul Studio Double Cut from a .010 to a .009. I like they way .009 feel on my Fender '62 model and my Les Paul Studio Double Cut is a small guitar. I think .009 might give the fretboard a better feel.

The question I have is if I do this do, .010 is the standard factory string provided, do I have to make any adjustments to the neck for the intonation?

I sure do not have any knowledge on adjusting the neck and would have to seek a professional to do this if needed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just want to point my Les Paul Studio Double Cut is the size of a Les Paul Junior. It has 24 frets and is smallest guitar I have in terms of space between the frets.

The fear of the neck adjustment might discard this idea. Since I do not want to risk messing my guitar up. I would have to pay a technician. The only thing I know what to do is change strings and tune.

• Members

yeah just change the strings, intonate and play it for a few days. If it is fine just leave it. Worse case loosen the rod maybe 1/8th a turn.

before turning the rod mark where it is with a marker, so you can just bring it back to where you started if it doesnt work.

that said, 10s on a Gibson should feel similar to 9s on a Fender. The shorter scale on the Gibson will make the strings feel looser. Its about the same as tuning down half a step.

• Members

I just want to point my Les Paul Studio Double Cut is the size of a Les Paul Junior. It has 24 frets and is smallest guitar I have in terms of space between the frets.

The SG, V and LP DC are all 24.75" scale: they all have the same distance between the frets.

• Members

The SG, V and LP DC are all 24.75" scale: they all have the same distance between the frets.

You are correct about the same distance, but my double-cutaway Les Paul has 24 frets. Pschologically because of the size of this guitar, I always felt the fret distance was smaller.

• Members

You are correct about the same distance, but my double-cutaway Les Paul has 24 frets.
Pschologically
because of the size of this guitar, I always felt the fret distance was smaller.

A 24-3/4" scale is a-24 3/4" scale. The frets 1 through 22 are spaced exactly the same on your guitar as most Gibsons. The big difference is they have to move the neck PU to make room to add 2 extra frets.

As noted, the smaller scale will mean a slacker, looser, "slinkier", choose-your-adjective feel. Lots of people love 9's on a LP. But it'll feel less like a 25.5"-scale Fender. Besides, you are only supposed to press the string down just far enough to touch the top of the fret...push it to the fretboard and you'll bend the note sharp.

• Members

Actually 9s on a Gibson would have the equivalent of 9.25s on Fender, which don't exist.

Equivalent =/= Similar :facepalm:

And a source link would be nice for your claim as well, I would assume something to do with tensions, or did you just do the math in your head?

• Members

Yes, I more or less did the math in my head. The math is pretty simple.

http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf

Near the top of the document we have:

Tension = Unit Weight * 2 (Scale Length * Frequency)^2 / 386.4

Unit Weight is more or less proportional to the area of the cross section, which is proportional to the square of the diameter (i.e. string gauge!). So looking at this, to maintain the same tension and frequency, scale length and string gauge must be inversely proportional.

So basically, you can think of it like 9 * 25.5 = x * 24.75, where x is the mystery gauge of the Gibson scale guitar that would have the same string tension as a Fender. So we get x = 9 * 25.5 / 24.75 = 9.27.

What's dumb is that we have string gauges that are separated by 0.001" of an inch, as if that was ever an important figure in anything. Jumps of 0.001" and even 0.0005" are extremely large jumps in string tension.

• Members

Yes, I more or less did the math in my head. The math is pretty simple.

Near the top of the document we have:

Tension = Unit Weight * 2 (Scale Length * Frequency)^2 / 386.4

Unit Weight is more or less proportional to the area of the cross section, which is proportional to the square of the diameter (i.e. string gauge!). So looking at this, to maintain the same tension and frequency, scale length and string gauge must be inversely proportional.

So basically, you can think of it like 9 * 25.5 = x * 24.75, where x is the mystery gauge of the Gibson scale guitar that would have the same string tension as a Fender. So we get x = 9 * 25.5 / 24.75 = 9.27.

What's dumb is that we have string gauges that are separated by 0.001" of an inch, as if that was ever an important figure in anything. Jumps of 0.001" and even 0.0005" are extremely large jumps in string tension.

That's cool, but your math is wrong. You can't ignore the square. Keeping the square in, as you should, your result will look like:

9(25.5)^2/(24.75)^2 = 9(650.25)/(612.5625) = 9.55

Get some 9.5s and you will be super close.

• Members

No, the unit weight is proportional to the SQUARE of the diameter. Hence you can square root the whole thing before you start.

Trust me, I'm a mathlete!

You're right. I was thinking about it over lunch. I love math too. It's one of the only subjects where you can definitively say one answer is correct and the rest are not.

Archived