How does tung oil feel when used on a fretboard?

billybilly

• Members

Maybe I just have dirty hands, not sure. I've never tried to clean it off but I'm sure it's easy. It's not a grime you feel, more just something you can see on the fretboard. The neck, on the other hand looks totally clean . I like the look of a maple board with a little crap on it so I don't really investigate.

• Members

Maybe I just have dirty hands, not sure. I've never tried to clean it off but I'm sure it's easy. It's not a grime you feel, more just something you can see on the fretboard. The neck, on the other hand looks totally clean . I like the look of a maple board with a little crap on it so I don't really investigate.

Cheers, I think I'll go ahead with it.

• Members

I think Ernie Ball uses Gun Stock Oil, not tung oil. I've made parts-o-casters with both, and they are both nice. The key from my experience is to use fine grit sand paper (1000-1500 grit) to really get the neck smooth as you apply the finish.

• Members

I've used tung oil on many fretboards. I apply mine thick with enough layers

to look like Lacquer. Its simular to a lacquer feel. I'd say as far as stickeyness,

Polys is the most, Lacquer is less, and Tung oil is the least.

Tung oil often has varnish added for adding gloss, fast drying and a hard finish which isnt a bad thing.

Those who complain about the finish getting grungy, might have use pure tung oil which can soften and take ages to cure.

Semi gloss may have less varnish as well. You cant know for sure because the mixes are trade secrets and the MSDS sheets

only list the chemicals up to a point. The rest is allowed to be hidden from the public and competitors prying eyes.

Tung oil like Forbeys or Minwax is very durable and scratch resistant and will last a long time if you apply it thick enough.

Many apply it thin like its a grain sealer which is fine if you like the minimalist thing. You'll have to reapply it occasionally

when it wears through. There will be some yellowing to the wood when applied but it can givge maple a nice vintage look.

Last refret I did on my Tele I used tung oil on the fret board. Its not as nice as factory lacquer over maple but its been a

year and shows no signs of wear at this point.

Archived