Jack White on AMERICAN PICKERS

Woody_in_MN

• Members

K - not really music related - but I just saw Jack White on American Pickers - the show on the History Channel about antique dealers. I had two impressions from the show: He looks pretty tall - maybe 6 feet 1 or 2" ? He seemed pretty down to earth, and had a sense of humor. Both contrary to my impressions from "It Might Get Loud". So you know :idk: Just sayin.

• Members

They had an elephant head for sale and somehow the girl in their shop knew that he wanted one. Or something. He seemed to drive a pretty hard bargain and I think he made out better than they did.

That's kinda gross. Buying crap like that drives the market for poaching. I remember being in Greece as a kid around '66 or '67. We went into a fur shop that had an umbrella stand in the entryway made out of a hollowed out elephant's foot/leg :rolleyes:

• Members

That's kinda gross. Buying crap like that drives the market for poaching. I remember being in Greece as a kid around '66 or '67. We went into a fur shop that had an umbrella stand in the entryway made out of a hollowed out elephant's foot/leg
:rolleyes:

I don't see the appeal of stuffed animals, but in the show they made the point that they asked for and were given paperwork that the elephant had not been pouches. They said because elephants are endangered they needed extra caution on the deal. I am a pretty big fan of the show. They need to make a profit, but seem like decent guys.

• Members

but in the show they made the point that they asked for and were given paperwork that the elephant had not been pouches.

No no....kangaroos have pouches...elephants have trunks and tusks`n stuff.

• Members

Over here they run Pawn Stars then "Pickers" (dropped American from title here, did they there?)

I like Pickers soooo much better of the two. The guys seem real and not full of bs and fake scenarios like PS.

Last week I saw Danielle had a Siouxsie and the Banshees shirt on, so she got extra points from me...

I am sure the people they buy from watch to see themselves. Do they ever feel like they've been had???

• Members

I've never seen that show before, must admit that it annoyed the hell outta me - the semi-giddy energy rubs me exactly the wrong way, it's probably good TV but not for me. Jack's even keel attitude was refreshing in that context. None of the three items in play held any attraction for me, and neither did the negotiations - this probably says more about me than the show, though, it wouldn't be on if people didn't watch it.

• Members

Over here they run Pawn Stars then "Pickers" (dropped American from title here, did they there?)

I like Pickers soooo much better of the two. The guys seem real and not full of bs and fake scenarios like PS.

Last week I saw Danielle had a Siouxsie and the Banshees shirt on, so she got extra points from me...

I am sure the people they buy from watch to see themselves. Do they ever feel like they've been had???

unlikely.

most people are happy enough to get Andy Warhol's 15 minutes out of it.

The is now a parallel showing called Salvage Hunters (or something??) which is the exact same formula (sharp witty guy in truck with less sharp less witty guy) except they are from Wales and scavange the UK....and no Danny D.

Can't wait for them to invent one for the recycled plastic people here.

• Members

I've never seen that show before, must admit that it annoyed the hell outta me - the semi-giddy energy rubs me exactly the wrong way, it's probably good TV but not for me. Jack's even keel attitude was refreshing in that context. None of the three items in play held any attraction for me, and neither did the negotiations - this probably says more about me than the show, though, it wouldn't be on if people didn't watch it.

Yeah I felt the same way. What a world - so many different kinds of people enjoying different things. Elephant heads?!

• Members

Not in any of the shows I have seen. But I have not seen all of them.

• Members

They also have Salvage Hunters on here. Sort of reverse deal that "Sanford and Son" were for "Steptoe and Son" (or so I seem to recall).

I am not a huge fan of "reality" tv (not real, just like "faux News") but not huge number of choices here. One Thai reality tv show is "true coffee" which is all day show of behind counter shot of "ta da" people making coffee. Makes Warhols "Empire" look downright plot driven......

Pickers is better to me than most of the testosterone driven Top Shot and other macho bull{censored} they try to pass off as "History".

I like "Don't tell my mother" I'm in Somalia, Kazakstan, etc..... better. But that is discovery channel.

Archived