How has this forum affected your musical tastes?

Nsomniac

• Members

I've been kind of wondering...does this community broaden your musical horizons? Or were your tastes pretty well fully informed already?

It has definitely broadened mine, much as I tend to be a set-in-my-ways kind of person...as a very junior member the last few months amidst honest to goodness musicians and serious afficianados, I find myself discovering or rediscovering things all the time. Made me curious about to what extent it has that function for others.

• Members

This particular forum "Electric Guitars" ? Not much at all , seems its more just guitars and rightly so to say on topic only.

Effects forum has had me look at some other stuff .

I do recall a post here about the band Rival sons which I wouldnt have found on my own. However Rival Sons are like Led Zep so wasnt a hard sell

for me to like them .

A fairer question for this forum would be has it changed my tastes in guitars . Not at all since I have always had an eclectic tastes in guitars .

• Members

A fairer question for this forum would be has it changed my tastes in guitars . Not at all since I have always had an eclectic tastes in guitars .

Fair enough...however...EG though it may be, it's chock full of discussions about not just guitars but guitarists and music in general. For example, I likely wouldn't have thought much beyond sort of a meh opinion of Prince if I hadn't become a little bit more informed by some of the perspectives here. Took a second look, appreciated it more, etc.

But, then, my tastes frankly have always been a bit hidebound, really...hence my wondering.

Edit: And now that I think about it, I suppose I mean it in the sense of participating in an online community like this generally, not necessarily limited to the EG forum exclusively...that's just mostly where I hang out.

• Members

I've been kind of wondering...does this community broaden your musical horizons?

Yes, it's taught me that anything that isn't Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, or fake-ass white middle-class "blues" is worthy of nothing but scorn and ridicule, that all the good music was either made in the 1960s or early 1970s or made by artists that never grew out of that era, and that the desire to listen to something more interesting or relevant is a malady that can only be cured by buying more expensive guitars.

• Members

Not especially. There have been a few things posted that I've gone and listened to, thought were pretty cool and not really listened to again. And I won't base my own tastes on what a bunch of people on the internet think, nor will I change my tastes based on what a bunch of people on the internet say about them. I like what I like, and that won't change :thu:

• Members

Not especially. There have been a few things posted that I've gone and listened to, thought were pretty cool and not really listened to again. And I won't base my own tastes on what a bunch of people on the internet think, nor will I change my tastes based on what a bunch of people on the internet say about them. I like what I like, and that won't change
:thu:

It's not so much that I'm receptive to the notion of anybody telling me what to think or what taste to have...and certainly nobody's going to talk me out of liking what I like. Yes, I do love the "classic rock canon," and I love in a campier way all the 80's stuff I grew up with, that's not going to change. But for all the clash of culture and the extremes on both ends , this is still a more musically diverse, and more seriously musical, group than I interact with normally. Maybe people that serious about music have already thought through all that and have had the reactionary vs. modernity and other arguments already and have settled into their approaches, on whatever end of the spectrum.

Being a musical doofus, I kind of like getting exposed to a few "new to me" things...some Prince or some Sabbath or Jack White (maybe) or some of the country or jazz guys that come up. All depends on where you start I guess.

• Members

Yes, it's taught me that anything that isn't Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, or fake-ass white middle-class "blues" is worthy of nothing but scorn and ridicule, that all the good music was either made in the 1960s or early 1970s or made by artists that never grew out of that era, and that the desire to listen to something more interesting or relevant is a malady that can only be cured by buying more expensive guitars.

Haha, very true. This forums does seem to be dominated by old guys who are very set in their way and who seem to think that any music that isnt more than 30 years old is automatically crap. That said, I wouldnt say that this forum has changed my tastes but it sure has introduced me to a lot of great stuff that I wouldnt have discovered or listened to otherwise:

Black Sabbath

Randy Rhoads

Hendrix

Iron Maiden

Paul Gilbert

Dethklok (really)

and of course,

Sleigh Bells :thu:

• Members

It's not so much that I'm receptive to the notion of anybody telling me what to think or what taste to have...and certainly nobody's going to talk me out of liking what I like. Yes, I do love the "classic rock canon," and I love in a campier way all the 80's stuff I grew up with, that's not going to change. But for all the clash of culture and the extremes on both ends , this is still a more musically diverse, and more seriously musical, group than I interact with normally. Maybe people that serious about music have already thought through all that and have had the reactionary vs. modernity and other arguments already and have settled into their approaches, on whatever end of the spectrum.

Being a musical doofus, I kind of like getting exposed to a few "new to me" things...some Prince or some Sabbath or Jack White (maybe) or some of the country or jazz guys that come up. All depends on where you start I guess.

Oh f'sure. But nobody here has posted anything that either a) I wasn't already aware of or b) really struck me as an awesome piece. Sure, a few of them have been good pieces, but none worthy of an automatic download of their entire discography (I know, I'm a terrible person... But I still buy albums if they're really good)

I did come across as a bit of a dick, now that I re-read my statements. And I do apologise, it wasn't my intention to appear to be saying that anyone that has had their musical tastes changed here is a person incapable of making their own decisions.

• Members

I did come across as a bit of a dick, now that I re-read my statements. And I do apologise, it wasn't my intention to appear to be saying that anyone that has had their musical tastes changed here is a person incapable of making their own decisions.

Not at all... didn't receive it as dickish in the least... just speaks to some confidence in your own tastes, I think...I can't come close to what you said about already being familiar with most of what's posted here. I still don't even recognize a lot of the names in the latest "Who's the Greatest Guitarist Ever" post :rolleyes:

That's probably why I enjoy so much reading some thread where guys are kicking each other in the balls about whether some player is either a musical genius or a ridiculous hack.

• Members

Haha, very true. This forums does seem to be dominated by old guys who are very set in their way and who seem to think that any music that isnt more than 30 years old is automatically crap. That said, I wouldnt say that this forum has changed my tastes but it sure has introduced me to a lot of great stuff that I wouldnt have discovered or listened to otherwise:

Black Sabbath

Randy Rhoads

Hendrix

Iron Maiden

Paul Gilbert

Dethklok (really)

and of course,

Sleigh Bells
:thu:

I'm almost 40 and all of those artists except for Sleigh Bells are ancient history to me.

• Members

This forums does seem to be dominated by old guys who are very set in their way and who seem to think that any music that isnt more than 30 years old is automatically crap.

^ I'll use this to try and bridge the gap. Thanks, Spike!

I'd be inclined to agree with him there, a lot of older folk are very much inclined to be set in their ways. And I suppose they have the right to be. They were there at the birth of the progenitor of what a lot of us younger folk listen to today. But from someone that is in love with classic rock and blues as well as modern metal and hard rock, it's not all shit. I'm not saying that you have to listen to it and have to like it, but you can't make the assumption that it's bad based on a very brief glimpse of what's currently out there. I'm sure that if you gave it a little patience, you'd find something you like from my world :thu:

• Members

I went through a "blues phase" a few years ago that had at least something to do with the forum, tends to be a lot of talk about the blues players here. Still like blues music but hardly listen to it these days. My music tastes are more affected by music school right now, learning about some great jazz and fusion bands.

• Members

I'm almost 40 and all of those artists except for Sleigh Bells are ancient history to me.

and Dethklok? :poke:

Yeah, I listen to a whole bunch of other stuff, its just that these are the ones that this forum has turned me onto- hence why most of them are ancient :lol:

• Members

and Dethklok? :poke:

Yeah, I listen to a whole bunch of other stuff, its just that these are the ones that this forum has turned me onto- hence why most of them are ancient
:lol:

I forgot to agree that Dethklok are both awesome and hilarious. Metalocalypse is fantastic :lol:

• Members

I've tried a few other CDs because of sharing appreciations. But other than that, - NO CHANGE

I'm open minded, but I like what I like. As a child of the late '50s, I've heard quite a few come and go so I'm not easily impressed by something new unless it brings something truly enjoyable to the table.

But I never want to close my mind to new opportunities in listening enjoyment.

At first glance I'd have never thought I'd enjoy a tune by this.

Buckethead.jpg

but I do

[video=youtube;8akmP6Sjv2o]

enough to have found the tab and learned the song ;)

Studio version

[video=youtube;bHQmDqlv5Rc]