$500 guitar rig - What would you get for such a limited budget?

poderoso

• Members

I just thought this would be a fun thread.

You can consider used prices, lets say you already have 9v batteries, patch cables, etc. But you need to buy a guitar, an amp and maybe a pedal or two.

And this is something you would gig with, considering that if you get a low watt amp it would be mic'd.

What would you get?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SX Tele. $90-$130 before mods.

Fender Super Champ XD.

With the money left over you should be able to get a nice set of pickups and a new set of tuners for the SX.

i noticed people really dig the SX teles. How are those compared to Squier CV teles?

• Members
i noticed people really dig the SX teles. How are those compared to Squier CV teles?

I really don't have much experience with a CV Tele. But I love the nice chunky neck on my SX. It's a very well made guitar. It's my favorite Tele. The rest of my guitars are Gibson, Carvin, Heritage, Ibanez Artcores, and Epiphone Dots. That should tell you something.

• Members

I really don't have much experience with a CV Tele. But I love the nice chunky neck on my SX. It's a very well made guitar. It's my favorite Tele. The rest of my guitars are Gibson, Carvin, Heritage, Ibanez Artcores, and Epiphone Dots. That should tell you something.

wow that does say a lot. have you had fender teles though?

• Members

Amp $250-300: Crate VC30, Peavey Classic 30, Crate Stealth, Peavey Triumph, Peavey Prowler

Guitar $100-150: Peavey USA or Yamaha - always can score a better than decent guitar for that.

Pedals: used Dan-o tuner, Used Digitech distortion factory (usable OD, dist and fuzz), used digitech digidelay.

• Members

Pawn shop guitar and amp, probably. But definitely used.

I'd build the rig around a good distortion box. I recently saw a used Radial Hot British for $130 so let's start with that. That leaves around $250 for a guitar and $120 for an amp. I'd look for a used Ibanez like a Talman 420, or a Made-In-Mexico Tele (because a cheap Tele has more rock growl than a cheap Strat does), or an SG clone. You might find an older Charvel shred-machine in that range, or a decent Jackson shredder.

The amp is going to be a compromise. But the much-unloved Peavey Bandit from the red-stripe series or it's slightly smaller 1x12 cousin (Studio-something ?) are actually decent little amps. You might score one of those to start - eventually change the speaker to something good, and it's a perfectly gig-worthy amp.

I haven't been a big fan of the cheap Fenders with the plastic input jacks. They get loose within 6 months and go goofy. But get something with a big heavy power supply, and a 12" speaker (so you can upgrade the cheap thing later :D ).

• Members

Well, if we want to throw used or other good deals in the mix then my guitar would be one of the following:

Epi 56 LP tribute (paid $250 with hard case)

Malden Karma: (paid $220)

Malden Bulldozer (paid $220)

The amp would still be a Kustom Defender. I think that's one of the most overlooked amps on the market.

• Members
Well, if we want to throw used or other good deals in the mix then my guitar would be one of the following:

Epi 56 LP tribute (paid $250 with hard case)

Malden Karma: (paid $220)

Malden Bulldozer (paid $220)

The amp would still be a Kustom Defender. I think that's one of the most overlooked amps on the market.

+1 on the Maldens. I have a Bulldozer, a Mozak, and a Utopia. They are all excellent guitars.

Archived