Yamaha Pacifica 302s

Lobsterbush

• Members

Their build quality in general seems to be consistently good across the board, even in the base 112 model. As for sound, they're pretty much everything you want them do be within reason. Not seen the Tele shaped ones, but it sounds like a pretty decent bit of kit the way you've described it. And at that price, who can argue?

• Members

Waiting back for an answer about the case now. looks like a really nice guitar but I have never tried the tele-type yamaha

Actually, $175 without a case is a good deal (provided it's not beat up).

The somewhat-plain-jane-ish Pacifica 102 often sells used for $150 or more.

PS: I never understood why the Pacifica 102 was dropped when it was. It could have stayed in the lineup for a few more years than it did.

• Members

Beautiful guitar! One example of how Yamaha sometimes improves aesthetically on the model the are based on. It's true for this one and the semis (SA's horn a little more elegant than the typical 335). The pacifica's shape is a matter of taste and it's hard to change the strat's shape without defacing it.... But this tele is just gorgeous.

$175 is a steal.

• Members

The pacifica's shape is a matter of taste and it's hard to change the strat's shape without defacing it.

Pretty sure the original goal of Rich Lasner at the Yamaha Custom Shop in Los Angeles was to create original body designs that refined and improved the original Fender Strat and Tele body shapes. After a lengthy research period back in the early 1990s the Pacifica body shapes were created. 20 years later, the body shapes have not changed.

• Members

Pretty sure the original goal of Rich Lasner at the Yamaha Custom Shop in Los Angeles was to create original body designs that refined and improved the original Fender Strat and Tele body shapes. After a lengthy research period back in the early 1990s the Pacifica body shapes were created. 20 years later, the body shapes have not changed.

There is something about the Pacifica body shape/contour that is just sexy if I may use the term (for me it is). I don't find them sexy in pics (they're kind of not photogenic so to say) but when you hold them... lovely.

Picture019.jpg

Pac904back.jpg

Contour.jpg

Heel.jpg

• Members

I ended up getting the guitar. Its in excellent condition, still had plastic on back cover plate and a little around the edges of the pickguard. Obviously hasn't been played much, frets look brand new.

Tone pot was a little scratchy in one spot but some contact cleaner took care of that. Had to adjust the relief in the neck a little but it's playing pretty good right now.

Overall I'm definately happy with the purchase. Sounds good and tele like without too much twang, but the bridge pu by itself is definately bright. middle position is nice and balanced, neck by itself is pretty good but the sweet spot is the middle position so far.

Thanks for the advice everyone

• Members

Jkater,

I thought I was the Yamaha freak until I read your posts - you are even more appreciative of them than I am

A few years ago I bought an F310 acoustic ($175 new) to use as a beater so I could protect my old Gibson Jumbo. The Gibson just stayed in the case for a year or two and I ended up giving it away because the Yamaha was so good that I began using it for everything.

• Members

Jkater,

I thought I was the Yamaha freak until I read your posts - you are even more appreciative of them than I am

A few years ago I bought an F310 acoustic ($175 new) to use as a beater so I could protect my old Gibson Jumbo. The Gibson just stayed in the case for a year or two and I ended up giving it away because the Yamaha was so good that I began using it for everything.

Hi onelife!

Yes, I'm a bit crazy about Yamaha guitars. Had quite a few over the years including a hand made acoustic that was every bit as good as my current Larriv

• Members

I had one, love to have another.

Yamaha302s.jpg

I've yet to get a decently good pic of mine, but indeed, lovely guitars. Thinking it needs a 'bucker in the neck though.

021.jpg

It's more than $175 of guitar in any case. Definitely nab it.

EDIT: Which it seems you did. Props to you, sir.

• Members

Not everyone knows this (and I may be wrong :D) but the earliest Pacificas were custom shop instruments made in California and were quite pricey. the fabulous high end stuff were dropped and the successful mid range/ entry level line became Yamahas best selling electric guitars. The last of the top end pacificas (904) was discontinued in 2008.

• Members

I watched mine get abused in a pawn shop for 14 (!) months before they came down on the price. I finally got it for $100. It was covered in stickers, half the strings were missing and it had 14 months of pawn shop grime on it. Sure cleaned up well though.

• Members

Not everyone knows this (and I may be wrong
:D
) but the earliest Pacificas were custom shop instruments made in California and were quite pricey. the fabulous high end stuff were dropped and the successful mid range/ entry level line became Yamahas best selling electric guitars. The last of the top end pacificas (904) was discontinued in 2008.

Thank Rich Lasner. http://www.novacron.com/index.php/main/view/rich_lasner_on_the_yamaha_pacifica_series/

• Members

Please do! And try my other stuff, too! Got a nice Mesa TA15 for you to plug into.

I didn't make it last time (was tied with the family's tight schedule as you remember) but I'll do a bit of planning next time. Your vintage Gibson semi and the 904 are also on my list of guitars to try and jam with. :)

Archived