First band to use pinch harmonics in the actual riff?

PuerAeternus

• Members

Leslie West (Mountain) came to mind as well. Robby Robertson (The Band) is a good guess, as is Roy Buchanan or Clarence White trying to emulate a pedal steel guitar on a telecaster. But most likely it's some country band/solo artist from the '50s or early 1960's.

• Members

Yes - that would have been my guess... or it could be possible to find an even earlier Cream of Hendrix recording, possibly Cream.

There is a live version of "Steppin Out" by Cream were Clapton does it during his solo... to quote my friend "it sounds like a zipper".

• Members

maybe Nokie Edwards from The Ventures. He did a lot of weird stuff: pick slides, playing behind the bridge, fingernail slides etc...Link Wray is another one that did all those weird noises/tricks (check out switchblade for example)

tapping has nothing to do with pinch harmonics on a riff though

• Members

I can't remember what his name was or what band he played in... Maybe something Buchanan? He'd have his back to the audience while he played so that they couldn't see what he was doing when he did pinch harmonics and other techniques.

And in my personal opinion, if anyone has mastered the pinch harmonic (and probably over-uses it), it's Zakk Wylde.

• Members

I found tapping videos on Uke from the 30's...... it's all been done.

Not discussing tapping, and the OP is clearly coming from the perspective that he understands that the techniques being employed today have a history. His post is archaeology: He's looking for the earliest pinch harmonics employed in a "rock" solo.

• Members

I can't remember what his name was or what band he played in... Maybe something Buchanan? He'd have his back to the audience while he played so that they couldn't see what he was doing when he did pinch harmonics and other techniques.

And in my personal opinion, if anyone has mastered the pinch harmonic (and probably over-uses it), it's Zakk Wylde.

Roy Buchanan is a great suggestion. (Wish I would have thought of it.)

• Members

Roy Buchanan is a great suggestion. (Wish I would have thought of it.)

That's the mother {censored}er. Thank you :D

What decade was that? I've been told the story and even shown some footage a hundred times, but I can't remember the details.

• Members

Artificial harmonics have been used for hundreds of years, Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 1 has an especially memorable harmonics section.

Yes--and again you astound--but the OP's question was more specific than that: pinch harmonics in a rock guitar solo.

• Members

Not discussing tapping, and the OP is clearly coming from the perspective that he understands that the techniques being employed today have a history. His post is archaeology: He's looking for the earliest pinch harmonics employed in a "rock" solo.

The title is "first band to use pinch harmonics in a riff", not rock and roll band. I have researched such things. I found that you can find examples of everything we think is new quite easily in what would be considered primitive music by our standards. I apologize for not being clear, I have arthritis, I type as little as possible. If the OP meant rock only, oh well. Tough. Lol, too much info hurts?

It gets ridiculous, I can use the same guy for like everything..... First guy to strum like hendrix did during voodoo chile on film....

[video=youtube;UeD8xNeNqzM]

• Members

I would think it's hard to find a lot of old recordings. I guess I can look but it seems a useless task. Whatever I find, someone else would have done it earlier, and there's no record of it. We didn't become a mediated society until the 1920's or so really. It's very interesting to listen to the music that was coming out before recordings (like the first musical recordings) and then compare it to 15 years later when everyone got to hear everyone else play. Another subject again I guess though.

Back to pinch harmonics, I did one by accident at like age 13 before I knew what it was. Kept trying to do it again til I learned. I'm not that smart. I'd say its been done on every stringed instrument. Does the OP really only care about rock and roll? He hasn't even been back to the thread. Cobalt cares about rock though, you might have the answer to that.

• Members

I Does the OP really only care about rock and roll? He hasn't even been back to the thread. Cobalt cares about rock though, you might have the answer to that.

Thank you. I guess I merely inferred from the word band and the allusion to Venom that the OP was interested solely in "rock" riffs.

• Members

again, we're talking about riffs not solos. if its so easy why isnt there examples?

Is that Ricky Skaggs in your avatar? That is quite a contrast to your username because I never heard him play anything angry an a tele :lol:

Archived