Lollar P90 vs Bare Knuckle Nantucket 90 for my Firebird

BOOBIES

• Members

I am looking to drop a set of P90's into a Firebird V I just ordered. From my research, I have found the consensus to be that Lollars are clearer and more "polite" sounding and the Bare Knuckles have a little more meat/aggression. I am leaning towards the Nantucket at the moment. I feel like the bit of extra meat will fill out the Firebird (especially in the bridge position. I am going after a hard rock tone. At the moment I run a Marshall JVM through a Bogner 4x12 with V30's.

Can anyone chime in with their own experiences or advice? Thanks!

• Members

I am looking to drop a set of P90's into a Firebird V I just ordered. From my research, I have found the consensus to be that Lollars are clearer and more "polite" sounding and the Bare Knuckles have a little more meat/aggression. I am leaning towards the Nantucket at the moment. I feel like the bit of extra meat will fill out the Firebird (especially in the bridge position. I am going after a hard rock tone. At the moment I run a Marshall JVM through a Bogner 4x12 with V30's.

Can anyone chime in with their own experiences or advice? Thanks!

So your Firebird has Gibson P90s now? I have to admit; I'm a sucker for Gibson P90s. They get plenty rude, but back down nicely. None of the P90s I've tried from other winders sound quite the same to me. :idk:

• Members

So your Firebird has Gibson P90s now? I have to admit; I'm a sucker for Gibson P90s. They get plenty rude, but back down nicely. None of the P90s I've tried from other winders sound quite the same to me.
:idk:

Nope, it it's got the stock Firebird pickups, but I find that the stock bridge is just way too shrill and the neck is muddy. I'm normally a stock Gibson pickup guy, but not with the Firebirds. I've got it down to Lollar and Bare Knuckle because I've played a Lollar P90 equipped guitar before, and I really love the overdriven clip on the Nantucket at Bare Knuckle's site. I got a quote from a dealer on the Nantuckets and can get a set for $199.99. The Lollars are the same price. Gibson P90's are $120 a piece. So, I figured I'd try one of the boutique ones first being that they are a touch cheaper.

• Members

i just named two boutique winders :poke:

Haha, I know man...I've been checking them all out, and the Lollar and Bare Knuckle 90's are what spark my interest the most. The BG P90's are third (but may end up winning out simply on price). I have some time to continue researching before I pull the trigger. I just wish I could find some clips of the BG's doing modern hard rock stuff.

• Members

Haha, I know man...I've been checking them all out, and the Lollar and Bare Knuckle 90's are what spark my interest the most. The BG P90's are third (but may end up winning out simply on price). I have some time to continue researching before I pull the trigger. I just wish I could find some clips of the BG's doing modern hard rock stuff.

Bryan has some you tube vids of his pure 90's, they are an actual P90 trimmed to fit a hum bucker cover. i will add that i own 7 sets of Rose Pickups and he can wind the every bit as good as the others...

• Members

Bryan has some you tube vids of his pure 90's, they are an actual P90 trimmed to fit a hum bucker cover. i will add that i own 7 sets of Rose Pickups and he can wind the every bit as good as the others...

Yeah, I checked those out. The audio isn't very good there, so I wasn't too impressed with that stuff.

• Members

Yeah, I checked those out. The audio isn't very good there, so I wasn't too impressed with that stuff.

trust me, if you don't like them, Ken will make it right... but if you're set on BKP, by all means, go with them:thu:... i'm sure you won't be disapointed no matter the route you choos...

• Members

Nope, it it's got the stock Firebird pickups, but I find that the stock bridge is just way too shrill and the neck is muddy. I'm normally a stock Gibson pickup guy, but not with the Firebirds. I've got it down to Lollar and Bare Knuckle because I've played a Lollar P90 equipped guitar before, and I really love the overdriven clip on the Nantucket at Bare Knuckle's site. I got a quote from a dealer on the Nantuckets and can get a set for $199.99. The Lollars are the same price. Gibson P90's are $120 a piece. So, I figured I'd try one of the boutique ones first being that they are a touch cheaper.

So, you do know P-90's won't fit without routing? And are willing to route?

The nice thing about hand-winders like BG, J S Moore, Manlius and High Order is that they will custom wind specifically to your taste and equipment, and many offer a bit of a satisfaction guarantee or they'll rewind. It's like having your shirts custom tailored instead of buying off the rack.

Other great options are Curtis Novak and Vintage Vibe. But the $199 price on the BK isn't bad considering the exchange rate.

• Members

So, you do know P-90's won't fit without routing? And are willing to route?

The nice thing about hand-winders like BG, J S Moore, Manlius and High Order is that they will custom wind specifically to your taste and equipment, and many offer a bit of a satisfaction guarantee or they'll rewind. It's like having your shirts custom tailored instead of buying off the rack.

Other great options are Curtis Novak and Vintage Vibe. But the $199 price on the BK isn't bad considering the exchange rate.

Yeah, I know I'll have to do a bit of routing, but I've got a guy already lined up for that. I'll continuing researching and talking to these guys about my particular situation. I've already emailed Mr. Gunsher and Mr. Novak about some things.

Archived