ANYONE HEARD OF QUICKSTAR PRODUCTIONS?

SONIC997

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A ringer??

Umh.. is that a nickname for robot?

If it is, no. Haha I'm a 17 year old chick from Indiana.

Seems like you are this company's target group. The younger and more inexperienced you are, the more BS they can feed you.

However, I suppose a teenage band might actually be better suited to a company like this, because they don't have as much to lose. Plus they'll probably break up in a few years, anyway. They can just chalk it up as a valuable learning experience.

Just don't expect too much.

• Members

I don't see why all you guys are giving this kid a hard time. He's telling the truth, all of quickstars cd's are sold on Itunes. As I said previously in the thread my band worked with them and there was nothing shady about them, except that it took a while to get the cds.

• Members

I don't see why all you guys are giving this kid a hard time. He's telling the truth, all of quickstars cd's are sold on Itunes. As I said previously in the thread my band worked with them and there was nothing shady about them, except that it took a while to get the cds.

1) This kid is not a he, she's a she, and

2) anyone can claim to be anything on the internet. A guy in my town got busted last year for making sexual advances to a '13 year old girl' online who turned out to be a 47 year old police officer.

• Members

If they're not outright Scam artists, they're Dream Merchants. I don't see a solid business plan that would provide any real forward momentum for an unreleased indie artist.

As for the 17 year old girl defending them... Miss I'll assume 'you are who you say you are' and in that case you're well intended, but not exactly 'seasoned' in music business matters.

Compilation albums are as old as the sun, and offer little in the way of marketing value unless you are included on a compilation from a specific label pinpointed to specific distributors or Radio PD's, and even then it's a shot in the dark.

• Members

Eh,

some of you are taking this too seriously.

I payed a small fee... I mean it's not exactly something I'm going to miss. It's not like I just threw my life away... being on a compilation CD probably means absolutely nothing. They never "promised us fame" or whatever.. I mean it's more or less just to say we were on a CD.

If anything, I'm just waiting for the CD to come so I can upload the mastered version of our song on Myspace. (Haha... sad but true.)

And I think it's sort of funny how some people still don't think I'm 17 :-p

:poke:

• Members

Somewhat related, I have a friend who is stuck way up the ass of Quixtar. Very bad scene. He kept badgering one of our other friends to check it out. He wanted to know just why we thought this was such a bad thing and why we weren't being supportive of his business. My friend deadpans, "Because, this is just further proof that you are and always will be Quixtarded."

:D

• Members

Yeah...

You know, no one asked you to be rude about it.

My bad that I didn't understand what he said. It's not like it's a common phrase or something.

But thank you for calling me stupid.

I really like your sense of humor Freud!

It’s much better to have humor, than tumors. Always remember that.

Best, John :thu:

• 4 months later...
  • Members

i keep reading "you shouldn't have to pay to be on this".

what they heck does that mean?

you obviously don't know what you get in return!

the songs get digitally distrubuted on basically every major online outlet[itunes, MSN, bestbuy, etc.] and they send your songs to contacts at record labels[vagrant, drive-thru, doghouse, etc.] and college radios stations all over the country.

the money they want for you is only going towards the cd's YOU recieve that you can sell on your own. quickstar is simply working for the DIY musicians out there who get overlooked because of the way our music industry currently runs.

you have to be willing to invest in stuff like this, especially if you are an entry level musician. i've recieved one of these messages from quickstar as well, and from looking at the responses by people who have actually worked with them- it didn't turn out to be a scam. so i think that if i can make it work financially, i will take advantage of the opportunity that quickstar is offering me.

• Members

the songs get digitally distrubuted on basically every major online outlet[itunes, MSN, bestbuy, etc.] and they send your songs to contacts at record labels[vagrant, drive-thru, doghouse, etc.] and college radios stations all over the country.

There is nothing you listed that you can't do yourself, for a lot less than 175 bucks. I know, because I did it.

• Members

Here's the BBB report (for what it'e worth):

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB Accreditation information, and BBB complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Name: Quickstar Productions, LLC

Phone: (443) 552-7058

Address: 419 Greenlow Road

Catonsville, MD 21228

Original Business Start Date: February 2005

Local Start Date: February 2008

New Owner Date: February 2005

Principal: Mr. Brenden Bosmans, Owner

Customer Contact: Mr. Brenden Bosmans, Owner - (443) 552-7058

Entity: Limited Liability Corporation

Incorporated: February 2006, MD

Employees: 7

TOB Classification: Albums, Marketing Consultants, Recording Service-Sound & Video

BBB Accreditation: This organization is a BBB Accredited business.

BBB Accreditation Status

This company has been a BBB Accredited business since June 2008. This means it supports the BBB's services to the public and meets our BBB Accreditation standards.

Program Participation

This company has agreed to use special procedures including arbitration BBB Definition:

arbitration - http://www.dr.bbb.org/ComSenseAlt/bindArb.asp

, if necessary, to resolve disputes through their participation in the following programs: BBB Accreditation Identification, BBBOnLine BBB Definition:

BBBOnLine - A national BBB dispute resolution program offered to companies who transact business via the Internet and allows the company to display the BBBOnLine Reliability Seal. Refer to https://www.bbbonline.org/reliability/Rel_EN.asp for a fuller description of the program and eligibility requirements.

Nature Of Business

This company offers digital distribution for record labels and indie bands as well as provides marketing services for musicians.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record BBB Definition:

satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on BBB files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the BBB with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the BBB's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.

with the BBB. A satisfactory record BBB Definition:

satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on BBB files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the BBB with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the BBB's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.

means a company has been in business for at least 12 months, and properly addressed matters referred by the BBB. The company does not have an unusual volume of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The BBB understands and has no concerns about the company's products, services and type of business.

The BBB processed a total of 0 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.

Company Management

Additional company management personnel include:

Mr. Joe Bird

Mr. Brian Bosmans

Additional Contact Information

Additional Email Addresses

admin@quickstarproductions.com

Report as of July 10, 2008

Copyright© 2008 BBB®, Inc.

If you choose to do business with this business, please let the business know that you contacted BBB for a BBB Reliability Report BBB Definition:

Report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB Accreditation information, and BBB complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.

BBB Reliability Reports are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Reliability Report is believed reliable, but not guaranteed as to accuracy.

BBB Reliability Reports generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Reliability Reports are subject to change at any time.

• Members

and college radios stations all over the country.

It's less a scam to me then ill targeted marketing. You're on a compilation of bands with no rhyme or reason. Do they push the compilation as *part* of something? Organize themes and ideas that might actually want someone to buy a CD of unknown bands? Would you pay for a comp of bands you've never heard of?

It is fine to "pay for being on a comp" if it's more like you are partially investing in the comp and hopefully want some cash in return, which means you might have a say in how the CD is marketed and promoted. (Or, in a hobby band's case, you like the theme. Seen those type of comps too. :p )

Offhand, I am leary of random compilations exposing you to anything noteworthy. Online distribution isn't too difficult, and sending record labels *comp* CDs at random doesn't work well, IMHO. Well promoted and thought out compilations can work very well, of course, but I can't say this sounds like one of these types of deals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I do not think this is a scam. A scam would be them taking your money and doing nothing. I think their intentions are sound, but don't expect to get much from them at this point.

This company targets small local bands and here are the pros and cons.

PRO:

You might get lucky. Maybe a band you are on a comp with likes your sound and goes big two years down the road and asks you to tour with them.

CONS:

When you sell your stuff at shows, why would you want to be on a comp with bands who are no where near you and have no following in your genre.

If you play enough shows, you may sell one or two CDs per show so you would have to play around 25-50 shows in order to sell all of the CDs. I also would not sell them for the $8 they want, I wouldnt go higher than $5.

They dont help with production and there could be alot of {censored}ty production quality bands on your comp. Do you really think most people would listen to it all the way through?

My advice:

I would rather see bands spend money on getting decent production of their own material, market on myspace to get local shows. Then write some new material once you have a following that you can sell on Itunes. You can do everything they are doing yourself, infact you can even make comp CDs with bands you play with Wav files so that the comps are actually with bands you know and play with.

Artistry is a social niche, its all about the people you know so go meet new people, cool bands and have a good time.

• Members

I got one of them letters from QUICKSTAR. Old Brendan seemed really sincere and all, only, he wanted my DEMO version. NOT a full studio version.

OLD BRENDAN wanted me to send him 150 smackies american.

OLD BRENDAN would have my moolah and i would have a bunch of worries.

Now if OLD BRENDAN wished my services for his collection, then I would need to have a goode recording on his dime and a few smackies for my own needs mainly eating. then I would need a series of venues to showcase my song and a ride to and from the shows.

In summation, I say no thanks to OLDE BRENDAN.

maybe the next BRENDAN TYPE will be more like a studio owner.

If someone wants my songs they can BUY them right off SOUNDCLICK. I did "sell" one copy of my song "loser" off of soundclick but have not recieved dime one. I have to sell twenty dollars worth of songs before soundclick will send me any monies.

Dang.

somebody already got paid and it was'nt me.

MY LETTERS BACK TO BRENDAN AND HIS LETTER TO ME:

Brendan, I'm R.L.Spencer. I hope you're well. I'm goode.

In reference to your letter; The DEMO, SUNSET COWBOY on MYSPACE and SOUNDCLICK. com/arellspencer is a shorter version of my all original effort. The rearranged version i play out in PUBS and nightclubs is longer by a minute and a few seconds and has whistleing at the end. I did write and arrange and perform SUNSET COWBOY as you know.

I do not PAY anyone for my efforts ever.

If you wish to use my song for your compilation, then you will need to record my NEW version with me doing the song of course and PAY ME up front for my time and energy.

Also before we begin i would need to sit down with the suits and hash out the details and have things in writeing and all that. I get paid to perform and I do not play for free except for the very neediest charities which i decide to help.

Brendan, while i admire someone who makes something out of nothing, you probably cannot afford my needs and wants.

I hope you finde enough folkes willing to make your dream of this project come true.

I'm sorry i cannot help you further.

Sincerely, RLSpencer

P.S. goode luck in your endeavors.

R

----------------- Original Message -----------------

Date: Jul 23, 2008 8:39 AM

Hey,

I heard your song, "Sunset Cowboy" here and I was very impressed with it. My name is Brenden Bosmans, a project manager for Quickstar Productions. We are putting out a compilation CD titled "Chill Out: The East Coast Edition". Your sound is exactly what we are looking for. Please check out www. quickstarproductions. com for more info on this compilation. This CD is going to be used to promote East Coast Acoustic and Acoustic rock artists. Being a musician for over 15 years, I already know the level of talent in the east coast scene and therefore I aim to share this talent with the rest of the country.

Chill Out: The East Coast Edition will be sold through the bands that are on it, as well as through CD Depot and all Record and Tape Traders. It will also be distributed digitally through iTunes, Napster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. Quickstar Productions will pay the band 50% of profits for these downloads. On top of this, Quickstar Productions will also send out about 250 promotional copies to various contacts at Record Labels (Vagrant and Dog House Records being only a few), Internet and College Radio Stations, Management Firms, etc. These will be professionally produced, glass mastered, shrink wrapped, full color CDs. Included with the CDs will be a booklet giving more information on each band. The booklet will feature brief bios, contact information, and a picture. This will be used to help promote each and every artist on the CD.

To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD, Chill Out: The East Coast Edition, please visit our website to download a submission form. We ask that each band purchase 50 CDs at cost ($150) to help us cover the manufacturing, production, mastering, and shipping expenses (FedEx) included with this Compilation. Our recommended retail price for the CD is $7. 99, but of course at your discretion, you sell them for whatever price you choose. If you sell them for our recommended retail, you take in $400. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a great way to target other fans in your genre. Please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions or concerns. Since we plan to release this CD by late summer, we ask that all submissions be returned by August 6, 2008. I hope to hear from you soon!

Take care,

Brenden Bosmans

Quickstar Productions

MY SECOND AND FINAL LETTER TO OLD BRENDAN:

Hi brendan, rick spencer here from norf cak-a-lakky amongst the piney trees and too many creeks and bridges to count.

I was flattered by your attention and very pleased to be contacted by the head dude in your company(you).

In addition i appreciate your position in this matter yet you must be aware that I cannot participate in this or any of your projects.

My recordings are done by me and me alone with very modest equiptment at my home in my room of dreams studio(kitchen).

Please understand that I must delete you from the MYSPACE friends list and I have forwarded your letter to some friends of mine who are very interested in your practices.

Thanks again Brendan, for the attention and know that I wish you well.

RLSpencer

443. 552. 7058 office

Brenden@quickstarproductions. com

..http://www.

quickstarproductions...

com

Archived