ANYONE HEARD OF QUICKSTAR PRODUCTIONS?

SONIC997

• Members

My son received an email from "quickstar productions" in Maryland. They

said they "selected" his band for a compilation cd called "Rock4Life", and

all they have to do is "sign a contract and pay $175.00" to be part of this

digital distribution. Although I would like to believe, I am skeptical and

would be appreciative of any advice/thoughts/suggestions etc...

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sounds like a scam. Anybody can charge 15 bands 175 bucks a piece and turn a nice profit without ever selling even one copy. The main thing I would look into is where they are going to make it available and how much they will promote it. After all it would only be for promotion anyhow.

• Moderators

your skepticism is warranted. These types of 'offers' crop up frequently. However, a simple google on their name revealed hat they have a long term web presence, and appear to have issued numerous titles. Whether that means the exposure they generate is worth $175 to your son's band I can't say, but there looks to be enough info on these guys to research.

• Members

ha, i got the same message from quickstar producations. it is a joke and the messages are sent out by myspace bots. never once did they mention the name of my band. they mentioned one of my songs, but the put the abreviated version that appears on the myspace player, not the full title. they knew to sell me on the acoustic compilation because it's the first category that my music is under. here's the message.

Hey,

I just heard your song "Knives That Stab Yo..." on here. I was very impressed with it… My name is Joe Bird, a project manager for Quickstar Productions. We are putting out a compilation CD titled "Chill Out: An Acoustic Compilation". Your sound is exactly what we are looking for. Please check out http://www.quickstarproductions.com for more info on this compilation. This CD is going to be used to promote Acoustic artists from all over the country (and even other countries). Being a musician for over 15 years, I already know the level of talent in this area and therefore I aim to share this talent with the rest of the country.

Chill Out: An Acoustic Compilation will be sold through the bands that are on it, as well as through CD Depot and all Record and Tape Traders. It will also be distributed digitally through iTunes, Napster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. Quickstar Productions will pay the band 50% of profits for these downloads. On top of this, Quickstar Productions will also send out about 250 promotional copies to various contacts at Record Labels (Vagrant and Dog House Records being only a few), Internet and College Radio Stations, Management Firms, etc. These will be professionally produced, glass mastered, shrink wrapped, full color CDs. Included with the CDs will be a booklet giving more information on each band. The booklet will feature brief bios, contact information, and a picture. This will be used to help promote each and every artist on the CD.

To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD, Chill Out: An Acoustic Compilation, please visit our website to download a submission form. We ask that each band purchase 50 CDs at cost ($150) to help us cover the manufacturing, production, mastering, and shipping expenses (FedEx) included with this Compilation. Our recommended retail price for the CD is $7.99, but of course at your discretion, you sell them for whatever price you choose. If you sell them for our recommended retail, you take in $400. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a great way to target other fans in your genre. Please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions or concerns. Since we plan to release this CD by mid winter, we ask that all submissions be returned by October 15, 2007. I hope to hear from you soon!

Listen Up!

Joe Bird

Quickstar Productions

312.235.6598 (office)

443.538.3899 (cell)

joe@quickstarproductions.com

http://www.QuickstarProductions.com

.. QuickstarJoe

419 Greenlow Rd.

Baltimore, MD 21228

P.S. If you get a chance, please check out our new initiative, www.StageSwap.com. Stage Swap in a online community for musicians to network with each other. It allows fellow musicians to swap shows, sell equipment, post shows, and just communicate in general. Tell everyone you know, because the more artists involved, the better the site will be.

• Members

It's BS. We've gotten solicitations like this before. I think the same company operates under a couple different names.

Check out their website...all artists no one has ever heard of. You'd think if they were really "promoting" anything, you would have heard of at least one of them by now. Also, have you ever seen any of their CDs for sale? Nope.

Like someone else said, if someone is really interested in distributing your music, you're not going to have to pay to get on the recording.

• Members

I've never heard of them, and would take any claims they make with a grain of salt.

That being said, there are some genres (or more often, subgenres) where compilations are often worth paying a little bit. I'm thinking specifically of metal, where there are so many subgenres that seemingly similar styles may have vastly different fan bases. It would help to know what type of music your son is playing, as there may be some reputable labels that are established and respected in a particular genre.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My friends band is going to ohio to operate with this quickstar deal.

I think It's based out of Baltimore.

The last one I saw was for like pancreatic cancer or something.

Seems like an ok cause but yeah paying to be on a comp. is kinda bogus.

lovED

• Members

My friends band is going to ohio to operate with this quickstar deal.

I think It's based out of Baltimore.

The last one I saw was for like pancreatic cancer or something.

Seems like an ok cause but yeah paying to be on a comp. is kinda bogus.

lovED

Sorry, but I wouldn't hold out hopes for your friend's band getting anywhere with this. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of stories about the crap from companies like this.

• Members

If a legitimate company is interested in signing your band (or using a song on a compilation CD), they would never ask for money. It's too easy for them to cheat you blind using their complicated contracts.

It’s difficult to believe people that produce a product, would even consider paying the retailer to sell their product. It could only happen in the music business.

You play, they pay!!! It’s just that simple.

Best, John

• Members

Also runaway from anyone who invited you to a meeting for a company called Quixtar (aka, the new US name of Amway). They're about the same in scam-worthiness. Maybe they should fight each other to the death over the trademark???

I met with a guy once who tried to get me to join up with him on that...I don't think it was a "scam" in that they do sell real products...I just don't think it is a really good business opportunity. It seemed like it would be a big waste of time to me, more than anything. I've seen worse pyramind/multi-level marketing scams out there though...Primerica, Market America, etc.

• Members

I met with a guy once who tried to get me to join up with him on that...I don't think it was a "scam" in that they do sell real products...I just don't think it is a really good business opportunity. It seemed like it would be a big waste of time to me, more than anything. I've seen worse pyramind/multi-level marketing scams out there though...Primerica, Market America, etc.

I have friends who did it (or do it, and they really aren't friends anymore). Products are really good, but they have a total cult mentality regarding free time, people you should/shouldn't hang out with, listening to motivational sales tapes 24/7, going to conferences every weekend... basically jsut letting it take over your life. One of my friends works his day job, come home, go to Quixstar and then work on his business by recruiting, meeting with people to sell, discussing business with his "sponsor" and then sleeps for three hours each nite and goes back to his day job. He's an engineer and makes great money, and Quixstar has actually cost him a lot of it. Stay away, boys. Really Any business that rents out a cheap hotel every week, not jsut for special conferences, but a certain hotel every WEEK and also tells you to buy a new suit if you're wearing the same one too often is not a business I'd want to get mixed up with. $0.02.

• Members

Never, ever pay to get on a compilation.

Ever.

Truth. BlueStrat is wise.

I got an "offer" from the same people... As well as others. Over myspace of course, which sort of proves their worthlessness (my email is RIGHT there for business related contact). Just a bunch of shat. Better off ignoring it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My band did the rock for life compilation with Quickstar and its legit. They sent us 50 nice looking pressed and packaged cd's, remastered our song (sounds great) and now our stuff is on Itunes. If you don't believe me go to the itunes store and search Crash Coordinates.

QUIXSTAR IS A PYRAMID SCAM! NOT THE SAME THING!

• Members

My band did the rock for life compilation with Quickstar and its legit. They sent us 50 nice looking pressed and packaged cd's, remastered our song (sounds great) and now our stuff is on Itunes. If you don't believe me go to the itunes store and search Crash Coordinates.

QUIXSTAR IS A PYRAMID SCAM! NOT THE SAME THING!

that is sooo cool!!!

awesome! i love how you guys sound!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought the same thing until I did some personal research.

Type Quickstar Chill Out in an Itunes search and see what comes up. Proof.

I actually personally contacted a few of the bands whose music was featured on the CDs to talk... and they were more than pleased with Quickstar.

And btw, you aren't paying to be ON the compilation CD. You are paying to receive 50 COPIES, suggested to be sold at $7-$8... and you get to keep the money.

• Members

I thought the same thing until I did some personal research.

Type Quickstar Chill Out in an Itunes search and see what comes up. Proof.

I actually personally contacted a few of the bands whose music was featured on the CDs to talk... and they were more than pleased with Quickstar.

And btw, you aren't paying to be ON the compilation CD. You are paying to receive 50 COPIES, suggested to be sold at $7-$8... and you get to keep the money.

With only one post on Harmony Central, I would guess that you’re a ringer. It's just too much of a coincidence that you had one post and it was on this thread.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

John:cop:

• Members

A ringer??

Umh.. is that a nickname for robot?

If it is, no. Haha I'm a 17 year old chick from Indiana.

You can check it all out.

My myspace is: www.myspace.com/umaydemekrie

my aim is: freudianxslipp

and my band's myspace is: www.myspace.com/mediocreoctopus

Anyway, before sending anything in, I checked everything out.

(Actually, that's how I even found this post to be honest.)

I just wanted to say though, that if people do think it's a scam, just don't do it. lol... that'd save a lot of trouble. But I personally Ituned/Amazon.com'd it to see, and personally contacted some of the artists.

I think it's great what they're doing, because most of the bands on the CDs do sound really professional, and my band just started in June/July of '07, we record on a freaking MacBook, and we're teenagers. Haha. It's just a fun chance to be a part of something that might help us along the way, yah know?

• Members

A ringer??

Umh.. is that a nickname for robot?

If it is, no. Haha I'm a 17 year old chick from Indiana.

You can check it all out.

My myspace is:
www.myspace.com/umaydemekrie

my aim is: freudianxslipp

and my band's myspace is:
www.myspace.com/mediocreoctopus

Anyway, before sending anything in, I checked everything out.

(Actually, that's how I even found this post to be honest.)

I just wanted to say though, that if people do think it's a scam, just don't do it. lol... that'd save a lot of trouble. But I personally Ituned/Amazon.com'd it to see, and personally contacted some of the artists.

I think it's great what they're doing, because most of the bands on the CDs do sound really professional, and my band just started in June/July of '07, we record on a freaking MacBook, and we're teenagers. Haha. It's just a fun chance to be a part of something that might help us along the way, yah know?

Holy cow! A 17 year old chicken! Now that's an old chicken.

A "ringer" is a person that assumes false identity for the purpose of deception. Sorry if I falsely accused you of one.

I’m glad Quixstar works for you. It still sounds like a scam to me.

Best, John :)

• Members

Holy cow! A 17 year old chicken! Now that's an old chicken.

A "ringer" is a person that assumes false identity for the purpose of deception. Sorry if I falsely accused you of one.

I’m glad Quixstar works for you. It still sounds like a scam to me.

Best, John
:)

xD you know what I mean, chick, girl.

Ah, I guess I'll see.

I mean, even with tons and tons of evidence, who knows? It could still be a scam.

If it does turn out to be, I'll post back, okay? =]

And it's Quickstar.

No xxxxx. :-p

Archived