Lace Sensors in Strat---opinions?

niceguy

• Members

I like most of the Lace Sensors, especially the golds, which have a really smooth, glassy sound, but if your aim is to get a noiseless Strat sound, the Lace Holy Grails are the way to go - and they are more noiseless than the other Lace Sensors as well.

• Members

Love mine. Ya they sound different, but still good. I went with Gold (neck, middle) Red (bridge). That's what John Jorgenson was using when I met him in New Orleans. I love his sound so that's what I went with.

koreansquier027.jpg

• Members

I have a Red-Silver-Blue set in my Strat, and while it doesn't sound like a classic Strat in the neck and bridge positions, that is a very versatile set. I play in a cover band that does a wide variety of material, and that set of pickups lets me do just about everything with one guitar. However, I am considering getting another Strat, and if I do, I think I will put Golds in it. I like Lace Sensors in general, and I'd like to have a set in a Strat that sounds like a Strat!

• Members

I have a Red-Silver-Blue set in my Strat, and while it doesn't sound like a classic Strat in the neck and bridge positions, that is a very versatile set. I play in a cover band that does a wide variety of material, and that set of pickups lets me do just about everything with one guitar. However, I am considering getting another Strat, and if I do, I think I will put Golds in it. I like Lace Sensors in general, and I'd like to have a set in a Strat that sounds like a Strat!

If you want Lace pickups that sound like Strat pickups, I think the Hot Golds are actually better at it. I've had three Golds and three Hot Golds in the guitar, and no doubt about it, I prefer the Hot Golds. Golds sound a bit muted (almost starting to get into mini-hum category IMO), whereas Hot Golds give you a bit more biting tone. Don't be scared by the name, they're still low output pickups, it's just that it gives you a little bit more of everything, a bit more treble, a bit more bass, a bit more sizzle, and a teeny bit more output when compared to the Gold. The Hot Bridge set gives you more versatility, but you can go with three low-output Hot Golds if you prefer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd update the thread. I installed a Silver in the neck and reverse Silver in the middle of my Strat. For the past 2 years, I'd had Highway One pickups in this Strat.

The Lace tone is pretty decent. I'm not blown away; I actually still prefer the Highway One pickups (which are high-output alnico single coils). The Laces are quiet, for sure, quieter than the JB in my bridge. Even with gain, they're nice and quiet (as quiet as a good humbucker, anyway).

My main issue with the Lace pickups is that they give a really, REALLY compressed tone. I'd read that some people hear slight compression, but holy {censored}, the compression is massive (to me). I had to check my DAW and make sure the compressor plugin wasn't on! (Was recording mic'd amp).

This compression works really well when playing fast, choppy rhythms. But it's a pretty big negative when you actually WANT some more dynamics and less compression.

The treble strings don't ring out as well with the Lace, no matter how I adjust the pickup height.

Overall, these are OK pickups. I'll use them for recording and playing shows, because of noise concerns, but I guess I just gotta face facts: a true single coil just can't be beat in the tone dept.

• 7 years later...
  • Members
On 3/27/2012 at 8:20 AM, tiltsta said:

I have a strat plus that came from the factory with three gold lace sensors. I think they sound great. I replaced the bridge gold with a blue to get more of a vintage humbucker type sound, but that was a matter of preference.

I love the Blue neck pick up on my Hamer Daytona. I want to put it in the lead position because my right hand is always knocking it out! Is it ok to do this????I am in a 60’s trio. I do not like the Red one because it sounds to harsh.please let me know’

Archived