more cheese

Loconzly

• Members

It's them green inlays...

Or yellow...close enough. Them damn inlays always turned me off to the classic model. A friend of mine has the first year classic model that actually has mop inlays. After that they switched to yellow...blech.

• Members

I have played a few Les Paul Classics and I do not understand why they are a "budget" model Les Paul. Granted, they are overpriced, just like any Gibson...

You lost me right there. People think something is "overpriced" if they can't swing it. AFAIK Gibson sells tons of Les Paul guitars that cost more then a Classic, so chances are they're underpriced or priced correctly.

The Classic came with ceramic pickups. The neck was a slimmer style, the tuners and inlays were greenish and the frets were a different size. For a while the Classic had the ABR-1 while the Standard had the Nashville bridge.

I don't remember them being cheaper, in fact they may have been a little more - although I could be wrong on that.

• Members

Actually, in the early years of the Classic, they were a bit more expensive than the Standards.

Yup. When they first came out, their place in the LP line up was after the Standard and before the Custom. Besides the pickups, they were the only non custom shop "historically close" version (smaller peg head, ABR bridge, etc) of the LP available in regular production.

These days, if you can get along with the 60s neck, the older LP Classics are a pretty good value as far as Les Pauls go.

• Members

Yup. When they first came out, their place in the LP line up was after the Standard and before the Custom. Besides the pickups, they were the only non custom shop "historically close" version (smaller peg head, ABR bridge, etc) of the LP available in regular production.

These days, if you can get along with the 60s neck, the older LP Classics are a pretty good value as far as Les Pauls go.

Through early 2000s until it was discontinued, it was a few hundred cheaper than the Standard.

• Members

I'm on my way to go check one out at a great price. I don't care for the snotty inlays either, but hopefully this one has subtle green and not like Madonna's

coad-coachella_madonna2big.jpg

Jesus Christ. I bet she would win an arm wresting match with pretty much every guy here. That's just... I dunno... I'm just confused now.

• Members

And it was the only way you could get a flame top production model LP, at the time.

• Members

Well, I bought it... it plays VERY nicely and the weight is fantastic. It's 8.8 pounds and the 60's slim neck is extraordinarily comfortable. I have to say it is definitely more comfortable than the 10.6 lb Standard I bought a couple of years ago. Excellent sustain and the unplugged sound is resonant. The inlays have a green tint, but nothing too distracting. I'm loving the yellowed binding, too. What a great guitar!

Congrats! It's a great looking guitar. Also, I read a thread at one point on MLPF (I think that's where it was...) about a guy who put his Classic in the sun for two days, and it un-greened the inlays.

• Members

I have been very happy with my Cassandra. I somehow managed to kill the bridge pup (I can get a little... exuberant... onstage), so that's been replaced with a Duncan Custom 5, but otherwise, no worries. If I hadn't destroyed the original bridge pup, it'd be bone stock. It's on every single song on our new album.

I don't mnd the inlays, the shark fins on my Ric 620 are the exact same color from age naturally.

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

302763_10150317408923879_512618878_80139

389971_10150443030518879_512618878_86157

Found her locally for $750, minty, w/ohsc. Albeit some years ago. It's a '99.

• Members

I have an '08 Standard and an '07 Classic. I like the tone of my standard a little better than my classic, but I like the feel of my classic better. They both sound good though, and I find myself reaching for my classic more. I'm partial to a gold top, so my inclination may have a lot to do with aesthetics, but I do like the 60's neck.

LPclassic16.jpg

Gibson_LesPaul_08_StandardPlus-1.JPG