More jangle out of a hummer.

texas twelve

• Members

I have an LP copy. It's and agile. I like the sound, but lately I have wanted more jangle and less curnch or dirt. Someone suggested putting in some GFS retrotrons--either Nashville or Liverpools, to get more jangle.

Has anyone done that with a guitar with hummers? Will that change my sound a small bit, fair-to-middling, or quite a bit.

Or perhaps, am I barking up the incorrect tree?

Any info about these pickups will be much appreciated.

• Members

paralell is still pretty mellow depends on the pickup.

I think thecornman is right about that Dimarzio HFH pickup, also a bill lawrence l500xl will do it. Haven't tried the tron types of pickups, but as you said it may be the first place to look.

• Members

The treble bleed mod can get you jangle with humbuckers.

With humbuckers I use a .001uF capacitor on the bridge volume pot. The neck pickup I'll use .022uF or the .001uF depending on what I feel like at the time. The 001uf cap doesn't cut the highs so much when you adjust the volume down.

Set some dirt on your amp and roll back the volume on the guitar. Lowering the volume cuts and cleans up the lows leaving the dirt on the highs. It also adds a bit of a compression effect.

It's certainly worth trying before changing out the pickups. Cheap and easy to undo.

• Members
The treble bleed mod can get you jangle with humbuckers.

With humbuckers I use a .001uF capacitor on the bridge volume pot. The neck pickup I'll use .022uF or the .001uF depending on what I feel like at the time. The 001uf cap doesn't cut the highs so much when you adjust the volume down.

Set some dirt on your amp and roll back the volume on the guitar. Lowering the volume cuts and cleans up the lows leaving the dirt on the highs. It also adds a bit of a compression effect.

It's certainly worth trying before changing out the pickups. Cheap and easy to undo.

Winner!! That's awesome advice no matter what pups.

• Members

1. Retrotrons are great pickups and are jangley.

2. Split the coils

3. Boss FX processors have a pickup emulator that actually works decently. It's probably just a sophisticated filter, but it's interesting.

4. A multiband compressor

5. Boss FA-1 preamp, cut the lows. It works. :idk:

6. Change pot values on your volume control.